Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

just cannot figure this one out. 2.3 RJE engine in a '91 auto. van has trouble starting cold and but will catch and start if you give it a little gas. then runs ok at first, just a little slow to respond to throttle. ran it around the block today on this warm sunny day and in the first five minutes it was running great. held its idle fine in traffic and responded well to throttle.

then after 7 minutes or so, when you're at cruising speed and you go to round a corner, slowing down but then simultaneously giving it a little gas for the turn, your throttle will make it want to die. backing off the throttle and just feathering the gas will sometimes let you drive for awhile, but eventually any throttle is too much and it will die at any press of the gas pedal. starting the van after that (even in the middle of an intersection) is fruitless. if the van is left to sit over night (or just until it cools down..?) it will start again fine as per above.

van maintains good fuel pressure through this whole series. new O2 sensor, if this is unplugged while it's having one of these fits it will REALLY not start. rebuilt injectors in the last 200 miles.

the behavior is as if the fuel enrichment is not enough at first, and then progressively too much, like it's not reading the actual engine conditions. at one time i swapped out the ECU and it didn't change my immediate problems but that was so many problems ago i would certainly be willing to try it again if that's what this looks like.

thanks for your ideas!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

t2 sensor?

http://www.van-cafe.com/coolant-temp.-sensor-w-o-ring

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
t2 sensor?

http://www.van-cafe.com/coolant-temp.-sensor-w-o-ring

this one was new with my aluminum coolant tower upgrade but that was a year and a half, could totally have gone bad. cheers, will try that.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

You could check the resistance per the Bentley prior to startup and after it gets hot and starts to act up. Check it at the pins at the ECU connector (I think that is where the Bentley has you check them) to make sure the wires aren't the culprit.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

I helped out a fellow Sambaist a few years ago with an automatic and an RJE 2.3. It really ran poorly, stumbling and dying if you gave it gas to pull away from a stop. In that van it was all down to tuning. Here is the list.. not necessarily in that order.

1. Idle switch
2. AFM adjustment
3. Timing
4. Valve adjustment
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I helped out a fellow Sambaist a few years ago with an automatic and an RJE 2.3. It really ran poorly, stumbling and dying if you gave it gas to pull away from a stop. In that van it was all down to tuning. Here is the list.. not necessarily in that order.

1. Idle switch
2. AFM adjustment
3. Timing
4. Valve adjustment

can you say more about your AFM adjustment? what was your mixture? also, was the valve adjustment a baseline “make sure this is right before we start” or did you do anything special?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
jberger wrote:

1. Idle switch
2. AFM adjustment
3. Timing
4. Valve adjustment

can you say more about your AFM adjustment? what was your mixture? also, was the valve adjustment a baseline “make sure this is right before we start” or did you do anything special?

If you have an AFR gauge it is easy to do.. if not you can use the o2 sensor signal (unplugged from the ECU) to tweak the AFM to the proper "middle of the road" idle setting. While the ECU and O2 will ultimately compensate to remain in stoich I have found that getting things close without the ECU feedback helps tremendously.

And yes, you have to check valves first. You are running a modified engine with ratio rockers (or you should be if you have the RJE cam) and you must be sure everything is A-OK.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356377
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

I have a GW 2.3 it would run fine and start quick than after driving it would take two cranks to start. Driving back from AZ last year it did kind of what you are talking about than it finally just died. It ended up being the throttle positioning switch. took it to a shop in Prescott (good guy) I think it was called Air cooled only but Chris knows h2o cooled really well. Got it all dialed in and came home with no more problems. Good Luck.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

[edited for clarity, see below]

Last edited by chachi on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

went back in with a better meter and confirmed old temp 2 sensor and harness were working close to spec, at least at ambient temps. i went through the tests on 24.61 and 24.62 and the one standout was that when i jumpered 3+13 the fuel pump did not run audibly. i do have pressure on the rail but possibly the ECU is not passing that fuel around?

checked the TPS and it seems ok. i adjusted it closer than it was, didn’t help me start the van so don’t know if it helped. i’m gonna order a new one anyway.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.3 runs well cold then goes to hell Reply with quote

The ECU does not use the Temp 2 for reference when the engine is warmed up, it uses the 02 sensor then. I think you have an AFM problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: