Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front suspension weirdness question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Okay, I'll try to explain this problem the best I can.

1970 Bus.

it was wrecked in 1971, something whacked it on the passenger side seat area where after my dad bought it. The axle beam is straight and rust free, and it appears that the only damage to the front suspension is that the right side tie rod is a little bent (not so bent that it couldn't be straightened)

it sat indoors in various places until I finally got around to putting an engine in it and doing the bodywork. Closer inspection of the front end revealed that the sway bar was missing, so I borrowed it off my other, rusted out bus.

I have driven the car around a bit, but mushy brakes have prevented me from driving too far. The front sits high because (i assume) the shocks are original and yeah, it does handle a little funny with one tie rod slightly bent. What is more distressing is that if you hit any sudden dips, you get a pretty loud THUNK.

What is also strange is that if you bounce either side of the front end up and down, it's noticeable that the tire tends to roll a forward and backward a noticeable amount.

I keep visually comparing the suspension to my other bus and I can't seem to find any other components missing. It also looks like everything is tight and as it should be.

Dad passed away years ago so I can't ask him what he did when he got it, if he replaced the trailing arms (not sure what they're called) or what. It doesn't look like he just stuck things in there loosely so that he could roll the car around.

I guess my next step is to put in some known good shocks, but that bouncing-it-up-and-down making the front wheel go a little back and forward is very very strange. (and it does this on both side)
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A photo of it from 1981 showing how severe (or not so severe) the bodywork damage was).

I guess my question in a nutshell is what would make the wheel want to rock back and forth a little while you bounce the front end up and down. What would be wrong in the front end geometry to cause that?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

are all 4 bolts holding the beam in place on that side?
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
are all 4 bolts holding the beam in place on that side?

yeah, they have never been touched, and they're still covered with the original factory undercoating.

A few observations.. Bouncing it up and down it sounds like the thunk is the upper torsion arm hitting that stub thing that comes off the axle beam. The beam is straight.

I can't quite figure out what dad might have done in the 70s after he got it. One might assume from the accident that a torsion arm got bent or broken and it was hard to roll, so it looks like maybe he put some good ones in? But if he did that, why not fix everything the right way there and then? There is no cotter pin in the nut for the right side outer tie rod end. The fact that the sway bar was missing means that he either borrowed it years later to use on another bus, or that he removed it to replace the bottom torsion bar end and never put it back on

The brakes and brake line have either never been disconnected or appear to have been reconnected. The ball joint nuts appear to be tight. Theres nothing about the right side that appears any different from the left side as far as someone just putting things in finger tight just so they could roll the car around.

If nothing had been changed at all, I could maybe understand if there's a broken ball joint but I can't find any play when i try to grab anything and shake it. I have not as of yet had a friend bounce the car up and down and look at it from the inside to see what it does.

i don't know if new shocks will make it sit lower, and if it sits where it's supposed to be, if that won't have that weird front/back movement

I guess the thing I'm trying to figure out is if there's basically nothing wrong with it or I start taking everything apart not knowing what it could be. Torsion bar suspension is really in my skill set

since the bus only had a year or two of use the mileage is less than 20,000, so nothing should be "worn out", though the original engine vanished ages ago.

I'd hate to have to replace the whole axle beam since the other one that I have on my '71 has some holes in it, and it would take a while to make one good one out of the two, and like i said, I'm not that keen to screw around with torsion bars.

When you replace the front torsion bar ends, can they only go into one place? Is it like a square or a knurled star shape where you can get it in the wrong place? (I'm aware that sometimes you can fix a saggy rear suspension by setting the ends to the next notch)

Last edited by lastchancevw on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Maybe broke a trailing arm inside the beam & the only thing holding it in place is the spring pack? Possible broken ball joint?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Maybe broke a trailing arm inside the beam & the only thing holding it in place is the spring pack? Possible broken ball joint?

Hmm, in that case wouldn't it sit lower if only one torsion bar was working? It sits pretty high and sits just as high on both sides. There was no damage to the driver's side of the bus.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

The trailing arm has a polished tube that slides into the beam that rotates within the beam & locates the trailing arms, the spring pack goes through the center of it & is secured to the trailing arm, outside of the beam by the grub screw thus the spring pack is still bearing the weight that it was designed to. Perhaps the tube portion sheared off on impact but the spring is still sorta locating the arm. This is the only thing that I envision given your description of the issue.

Get up under the bus, make sure that there is a jack stand under the bus to catch it so you don't get crushed but still some space between it & the frame so that it can move up & down, have a friend push the bus down & see where the excess movement comes from.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

the wheels should roll a little because they don't go straight up and down but it would only be a little. I would check the torque on the 4 bolts on that side and also check the shock to be sure it isn't broken. You should be able to put it up on jack safety stands and wiggle things looking for play. It could be a bad wheel bearing, loose lug nuts etc. There could be broken leaves in the torsion bars.
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the wheels should roll a little because they don't go straight up and down but it would only be a little. I would check the torque on the 4 bolts on that side and also check the shock to be sure it isn't broken. You should be able to put it up on jack safety stands and wiggle things looking for play. It could be a bad wheel bearing, loose lug nuts etc. There could be broken leaves in the torsion bars.

ah ok. The 4 bolts that hold the axle in? They've never been tampered with at all seeing they have the undercoating on them.

I'm certain the shocks are basically no good so I'm going to see how things are with known good shocks (hopefully that will make it not sit so high). Possibly the front back and forth motion is more noticable when it's at the extreme end of the travel?

I kinda doubt its a bearing unless that was damaged in the accident (it's not worn out) and I've had different wheels on there with new tires recently so it's not lug nuts.

is "spring pack" the same as the "leaves"? I know people have different names for things, the only names I am familiar with are whatever the Bentley or Chiltons manual calls them.

If leaves were broken, wouldn't it sit lower rather than higher?

I was trying to get this ready for a show for next week, but with a few brake issues that have come up (appears a front wheel cyl and original master are both leaking), it appears this thing won' be road worthy till at least the summer.

lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/tara.crane.54/videos/10216373383795959/

Not sure if people can see this, but here's a video showing how much front to back motion there is when bumping the car up and down.. That can't be right, right?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

put all the pieces back in like the sway bar and shocks front and rear, then try it again. I couldn't rock my bus up and down like that if I was the Hulk.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

That looks like normal trailing arm travel as the wheel will move backwards in the arc. Good shock absorbers & getting the sway bar back on will limit the amount of movement that you’re able to cause by bouncing & rocking.

lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Hmmm that's an acceptable amount of normal front/back travel? okkay.....

btw the sway bar IS in, and it's been in for a while. So this video i showed is with the sway bar already in.

but yeah, I will try shocks first and see if it settles. That sure does seem like a LOT of front/ back travel. I guess maybe the front back travel caused by the arc of the trailing arms is more pronounced if it's near the extremes?

I hadn't planned on doing the rear shocks, but i can get some of them further down the road (well, not the literal road). It's just that I happen to have some recently- bought front shocks for the bus I retired.

I can't at the moment scare up another human to do the rocking up and down so i can look at it from the inside. I do have a family member but getting them to do something while I check something is like pulling teeth in my family.

I guess I need to figure some sort of bribe then.

Thanks everybody for their input.

lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Oh hey, I figure i might as well post an update on what's happened with this bus. I haven't driven it much, but have made some progress.

I swapped the shocks out for ones that were known good, bought new within recent memory for a bus I was driving a few years ago (ok, thats a roundabout way of saying "new shocks", and that improved things somewhat.

I discovered the tie rod was bent from the accident, so I got a straight one on there, and the toe-in/toe out is dramatically improved. Handling is better, but still weird and squirrelly. and if you're going over some bumps, it feels like something is undercutting you sideways here and there (that's the best way I can describe it)

However now that I have the shocks sorted out, what seems to be the culprit might be that the lower torsion arm on the accident side is kinda bent inwards, or at least the wheel shows a pretty noticable positive camber. I hear that camber is adjustable through the balljoints though i have never done it? When you look at the suspension from the front, the line going from center of the top to the center of the lower balljoint do not appear to match from side to side.

I suppose this could be a broken/out of whack balljoint but maybe a bent lower torsion arm? Where the heck does one get one of those in 2018? I dont see any vendor selling them, and seems like they don't pop up on the samba classifieds. however, when I bolted the sway bar on to both lower arms, they did line up so perhaps they're not that out of whack?

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

If you could line up another same year bus next to yours you might be able to compare and see what is up.
Otherwise, get out some straight edges, adjustable bevels, levels and clamps, and start measuring both sides to see if the math matches; something or things might be slightly tweaked.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Considering that the first post was April and it is now mid-September, you easily could have had the front end alignment looked at professionally to see what is happening. You lack both the experience and equipment to go farther with this. There is no shame in that but steering must be 100% reliable.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

HARsh love here. But Steve is absolutely right.

Watched the video, that front end is so loose it should not be on the driveway, let alone the road. Hyperbole to make the point.

Get it up in th air, torsion bars out - inspect needle bearings for wear/damage, ball joints are 9:1 odds for being shot - all four, or certainly the two on passenger side.

You will be scavenging for parts for Bays for the rest of your life so start now. The 'new parts' supply chain has been destroyed by the 'I don't want to spend $100 for a ball joint, I only spent $500 for the car" crowd.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

My opinion here is mixed. The front back motion seems about right to me. Maybe a little much, but if you watch the wheel right as it hits peak point it seems to jump or flop like you're taking the tension off it completely and the wheel bearing is just missing. Get it up in the air and play with your wheel if you haven't already. You may find that your bearing or hub is messed up from the crash and is causing your squirrelyness too. Also, make sure your lugs are torqued. Those being loose would cause everything too.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Considering that the first post was April and it is now mid-September, you easily could have had the front end alignment looked at professionally to see what is happening. You lack both the experience and equipment to go farther with this. There is no shame in that but steering must be 100% reliable.

Well, it's not like my daily driver or my only car, so I can easily put the project on the back burner.

Also, I'm in Massachusetts, not Arizona or California where these things are plentiful and there are lots of air cooled VW garages. There isn't like a VW professional less than 50 or 100 miles away from me, and at the moment though the car is driveable, I am stilll working through all the brake issues and I only drive it like a mile away from my house, on level, deserted roads. My finances are very very tight so spending hundreds of dollars on just a tow to get it to a professional is not really my first choice. So whatever I can do myself I want to figure out before have someone else rip it apart.

I don't know many people here who could take a look at it, the easiest thing of course would just be if a knowledgeable person just looked at it for like a half hour they could probably tell me "oh, it's that" they don't exactly make house calls.

just so people know, the car has only about 20,000 miles (minus the divetrain), so the idea that things are worn out doesn't really wash, like I said, it was off the road from 1973 to today (and this is well documented). something is likely broken inside? but I guess I'll just pull it all apart and find out! But not a lot should be "worn out" from decades of use. In fact, this bus has like zero aftermarket bits on it, (well except for a few bits that went onto the engine when i used it in my old '71). But it's all OG basically

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front suspension weirdness question Reply with quote

Reach out to Asiab3, I think he will be out your way around late sept October. A few hours of his time, could save you a lot of time.

Airschooled.com
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: