Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Total Newbie Question - gas smell
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

I've had my bug '74 (reg) for 2 weeks. I park it in my driveway and whenever I walk by it smells REALLY of gas. Like it's evaporating from somewhere. It's not leaking anywhere so I am confused - is this normal?

thanks for your patience!
webbracing03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

First I’d check the lines going to the filler neck my bug leaked threw them. Best practice to replacement then if they r dry cracked anyway so when your driving and the gas splashed your not getting fumes. Second thing I would check it the vapor recovery lines that go to that canister on the passenger side fender well. Worst comes to worse I could have a leak somewhere under the hood it will dry up before it leaves a puddle so I’d check rubber lines. If u don’t find it there chase metal lines threw the tunnel. Also can canister under my pass rear fender that connects to the fan shroud. Possible gauge sending unit gasket to. Just my 2 cents lol... hope it helps. May also be the smell of aging German insolation soaked with oil gas and the lives of past owners.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

Could be fuel vapor recovery/vent or worse leaking inside the tunnel. Sometimes a bad seal on the cap or sending unit. Sometimes a pinhole leak in tank bottom, a bad hose or a cheap plastic filter leaking. Does it smell only when tank is full. Lots of suspects but you’ll have to narrow it down
gingerbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Could be fuel vapor recovery/vent or worse leaking inside the tunnel. Sometimes a bad seal on the cap or sending unit. Sometimes a pinhole leak in tank bottom, a bad hose or a cheap plastic filter leaking. Does it smell only when tank is full. Lots of suspects but you’ll have to narrow it down

Thank you - I will start looking in those places and report back! - but I am glad to hear its not "normal"
gingerbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

webbracing03 wrote:
First I’d check the lines going to the filler neck my bug leaked threw them. Best practice to replacement then if they r dry cracked anyway so when your driving and the gas splashed your not getting fumes. Second thing I would check it the vapor recovery lines that go to that canister on the passenger side fender well. Worst comes to worse I could have a leak somewhere under the hood it will dry up before it leaves a puddle so I’d check rubber lines. If u don’t find it there chase metal lines threw the tunnel. Also can canister under my pass rear fender that connects to the fan shroud. Possible gauge sending unit gasket to. Just my 2 cents lol... hope it helps. May also be the smell of aging German insolation soaked with oil gas and the lives of past owners.

Seems like a good list of places to start lol! THank you!
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

¡Bienvenido a la Samba!
Please be advised that a common source of fumes are the more "perishable" items in the system, the most frequent & inexpensive of which are the factory braided hoses.
Worst-case scenario could be a rusted-thru gas tank - but at this point, I don't wanna scare ya that much. For right now at least. Shocked
Simplest might just be the gas tank cap - so .......
Let us know if the gas stench is stronger from under the trunk, or from the engine decklid?
Lotta possibilities in each, & I'll start w/ the trunk.

Check the integrity of that long brown plastic "vapor catch tank" (@ center) & its 4 small braided hoses (2ea, from L & R ends).
After 43 years, this assembly frequently becomes a SIEVE.
The last one I handled was an absolute fume factory & couldn't even remove it (intactly, anyways) - damn thing literally crumbled in my palm:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's one removed. When it left Wolfsburg in '73, it was indeed STRAIGHT.
Please also note the round, gold colored fuel level sender unit (to the rear) - just 'cuz that sucker's seal is frequently guilty, so expect to R&R it:

Next, inspect all hoses seen below & tighten the 6 hose clamps. Please note that only 3 clamps are circled in red here:

'Nuther view of typical lines & routing - just for the heckuvitt. Lot more "stench potential" right here .......

Should keep ya busy for a while (until I can raid some pix of an engine compartment ....... Wink )
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gingerbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Total Newbie Question - gas smell Reply with quote

I looked and the filler hoses are pretty gross (moldy dirty and kinda moist). (The smell comes from the bonnet.) I am going to replace those first, tighten up all the seals and then see how it is.

I take a look at the vapor catch tank too! Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: