Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo header primary pipe size
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Whats peoples thoughts on primary pipe diameter for a 2000cc turbo?
Too large will loose flow, too small would choke?
Max length of pipe work?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Do whatever you need to make it work.
If it's a street car anything is better than no turbo at all.

I use an El-Cheapo Sedan header with a piece of 2 inch tubing from the header flange to the turbo inlet.
Could it be better??? Maybe....but it's not that bad the way it is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think the header is going to make that big a difference unless you are trying to get every tiny bit of hp to win the race.
Use what you have and run it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Right on the money!

I would guess 1 1/2" is as large as you need to go. Just fit them up with the shortest route to the turbo, don't worry about making them equal lengths as turbos really don't care. Keeping the velocity and temperature high is more important.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

I've read here on some ancient posts that smaller pipe spools the turbo quicker, is there any truth to this?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No smaller tube will not make it spool faster,,,Ball Bearing Turbo will Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Yes, smaller tubes will spool the turbo faster.

If you've got the money for it, get a ball bearing turbo as they spool up really fast.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

1 1/2" primaries, as short as possible.

How fast your turbo spools will critically depend on choosing the correct size turbo. Know what your goals are, be realistic about those expectations, and size the turbo accordingly.

I don't think electrickery works that way
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

I have an 1 5/8" header on my 1776 with a Garret GT17...spools fine.
I think picking the correct size turbo is far more important than the correct size pipe. As long as you aren't sticking a 1/2" or a 4" collector on it, I think you will be fine, and the difference between say a 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" piping will be unnoticeable.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo header primary pipe size Reply with quote

Inch and a half, or inch and 3/8 will both work fine. If I lived in New Zealand, I'd order a K03 ($100 on ebay) and a K04(also $100), have them both shipped in the same box to save on shipping. Try them both, keep your favorite, and sell the other one for a profit. K03 makes 200 HP on Audi 2 liter engines. What are you duty taxes on imported parts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: