Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

manual shifting need help...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

hi all,

1988 2WD Carat.. on a trip the shifting went bad.. we get it fixed by a mechanic.. replacing the rear shifter component... after that the shifting is quite hard to move the lever... I'd think it will get better for a while ...because of the new parts.. but not...

I can't go back to the mechanic .. a 1000 miles away...
so I try to fix it it myself.. the shifting is OK.. I find all the gears.. but it's very tough to move the shifting lever..

could you please help.. thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

Are the rear parts well lubed or dry? There is a ball and cup there that needs grease.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

It is hard to tell from that photo and the loose way in which the boot is sitting - but perhaps the ball has popped up in the cup aways. If so that could stress the shift rod and linkage making it difficult to shift.

The ball should bottom in the cup, be well-greased and the boot should engage the groove around the top end of the ball and be fully down over the cup.

I would remove the nut that secures the arm to the shaft into the trans - then work on seating the ball and getting the boot in place.

These are the components I refer to:

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

If I had to guess, I'd say the rear section of the shift assembly is off by a couple splines, and needs to be rotated over to the driver side.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

thanks all for the help...

everything was done with new parts.. well lubed.. but somehow the shifting is harder than before the fix..
the picture shows the connecting is off to the right... I try to make shifting smoother/easier... but don't know how or what to do and he's too far away to go back.

thanks again

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

I want to say your mechanic dropped the whole rear rod. Put the rod back in, upside down. It doesn't look lined up correctly with the cup. I'm just guessing.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

I was there but not watching him all the time, I don't think the rod is upside down .. but it could be.. I have to look at another van to compare but I am away from home..

is the bent section on the right of the picture looking right to you?

thanks
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I was talking about...but this picture makes it seem yours is right. Also the 'boot' is on the cup in the photo below. I don't think that is your issue. So it finds the gears correctly, but it is just hard to move?

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

Unless he drove the pin out and flipped the cup on the shaft, there's no way he flipped the shaft. That doesn't look like a new cup, and the shaft looks right to me.

Dan, first thing to do is loosen those two rear bushing bracket bolts just to where you can make the bracket move up and down. You'll see there's a small range of vertical positioning. Push it as high as it can go and retighten.

This is one of the two the most common mistakes made on that rear assembly (the other is putting the bracket on the rear of the mounting tabs, which makes the linkage pop out of 2nd and 4th, if they can be engaged at all) ). When the bracket is installed in a low position the ball rides too high up the inside of the cup. This reduces the leverage available to get in and out of registered gear positions, and at the extremes the ball will actually hang on the rim of the cup and make it really hard or impossible to get out of some gears once engaged, usually 3rd and 4th since that's where the angle is largest (and of course that gets mistaken for a 3/4 slider failure!).

Other than grease in the cup itself (which just collects dirt if the boot isn't intact, and those boots don't last) I find the whole shifter mechanism works best with no grease anywhere else. The nylon and delrin parts are self-lubricating so need no grease to run on steel. The grease feels OK at first, but collects dust and turns to sticky crud. The whole mess stays cleaner and works much much snappier running dry. Grease in the cup is good because the aluminum cup will actually wear faster than the nylon ball, so it can use some help, but it only helps if the boot is intact, otherwise grease turns to grime and adds drag.

Overall it's a bodgy system, although I'm amazed it can work as well as it does. There is a cable-actuated system available, but really a hydraulic linkage would be much simpler and more compact and give by far the most positive actuation. One-a these days...

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

yes it's easy to find all gears but it's very hard to move the shift lever back and forth - the front linkage is almost new (a few thousand miles) and it's looking good.

the problem began with hard to find the gears so we got the rear linkage replaced, now we find the gear and it's very stiff as is if the rod was bent but it was not.

thanks
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
... now we find the gear and it's very stiff as is if the rod was bent but it was not.

Were it mine - I would disconnect it at the nut (13mmm I think) that secures the metal arm at the top of the nylon ball to the shaft into the trans.

At that point you can see what is 'very stiff' - the linkage or the trans. I suspect you'll find it is neither.

You can also be sure that the ball fits well into the cup and the boot is totally in place (in the groove in the top of the ball and around the cup. This is not easy to get on, the fit into that groove is tight. I found it easiest to get it done with the cup removed, then the bits slipped on the rod and attached to the shaft.

I appears your mechanic did whatever he did w/o removing the pin or the cup - which may be why the boot was not properly installed.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

thank you Chris,

you mean the 2 bolts that hold the bracket on the engine or the 2 bolts on the brackets?

note: he put on a new aluminum cup and ball (the whole kit from Van Cafe), he tried it, didn't like it, took new cup out, use the new ball, and put the old cup in ... so far so good as getting in the gears but...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

I did the van cafe kit. I regrettably had to use a lot of elbow grease to remove the cup once the pin was removed. I did not drop the whole bar at the mid point. I believe it cause me to be off a spline or two to cause shifting issues.

I used the van cafe cup. strange to why he didn't use it. I believe disconnecting the 1x 13mm nut from the transmission will give you an idea of what is going on. You would be disconnected from the transmission, test how the shifting is then.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

after he remove the new cup, he did the shifting by hand at the gearbox and all went well... for some reason unclear to me he said that the old cup is better than the new one and also said that the drilled hole on the bottom of the cup is slightly off... I just believe him no arguing..
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

As Ahwahnee said, remove the nut that holds the ball onto the shaft and lift the ball out of the cup.

Check the shifting. Is it still stiff?

If yes, then you know something is binding in the linkage. If no, then you know that it is at the ball/cup interface or within the trans itself.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

I have a tangential but small question (especially for 10c but I'd appreciate any replies). Well, my asking of the question may be verbose, but it is essentially very simple, I think.

On my 82, I grease the two nylon balls. Just a few days ago I cleaned out the old grease (which indeed had hardened to crud over a few years) and refreshed. The bracket is steel and I don't want wear on the nylon balls. In my collection of parts (including two other transmissions), I somehow don't have any replacement parts.

The tube/shaft part of the assembly has a rubber o-ring in place of whatever bushing originally fit into the groove on the plastic end of the shaft. I lightly grease the tube/o-ring with silicone.

It's hard to come by parts for the old shifter system. I've had to make my own bushings (out of cutting boards), and as I mentioned, had to use a rubber o-ring in place of a rather different part that I couldn't source.

My van shifts very well (adding my own bushing above the fuel tank, to replace the NLA part, made a very big difference). I'd like to keep it that way, and above all, I don't want anything to break when I'm in the middle of a big trip. (This has me thinking I should probably give some attention to the ball/spring etc at the base of the shifter, which I haven't inspected.)

Anyway, again, my question here is just this: should I be greasing the nylon balls and bracket on the older shifter system?

Thanks!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: manual shifting need help... Reply with quote

Like Zeitgest said, it's in neutral and seems a couple splines off.

Loosen the clamp by the sliding door, have somebody keeping the shifter in the cabin in neutral, half point between left and right. Tighten it. Done. You might be one spline off after that, but it will take no more than 2 trials to tune it if necessary.
You can modify the throw if you're unhappy with it by looking at how deep the splines were at the said clamp and put it back where it was.

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: