Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear apron removal and carb review request
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

Hi again guys!

2 quick questions

1. How do you remove the rear apron for easier engine installation or removal? I have read that its a simple as drilling out some spot welds and replacing those welds with screws or bolts. I hate having my car 3 feet in the air and still barely having room for the fan shroud AND the jack. Problem is, IDK where those spot welds live.

2. Has anyone had any experience with the empi epc 34 kit? I know some ppl would scrap their bug before putting an empi anything on it, I have also heard really good things about the hpmx carbs. I want the 34's or the look and anything has to run better than my wore out 30/31. Wondered if anyone had tried them and had anything to report good or bad.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

Hear's some removable rear apron threads.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690056&highlight=rear+apron

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680067&highlight=rear+apron

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

Bob,
If you're considering dual single carbs. Think twice before laying out the dough.
I had a set on my 67 when I bought the car and they ran great to my untrained ear.
Now almost three years later I know better. Dual singles idle on two cylinders. Nature of the beast. And a tough to tune.
I switched to twin dual throat carbs (cheap 40 IDF copies) and was a bit nervous on the tuning. I found them so much easier to tune that the dual singles.

I'd stay away from the dual singles. You'll be much happier in the long run.

EMPI makes pretty good carbs. The 40 HPMX come fairly well recommended.
And the new D-Series early reviews are pretty good.
I just bought a set of 45 D-Series for my 2180 that is about to go into my 67.

Do your homework and make a good choice.

Regarding the rear apron, wire wheel the area along the edges of the apron under the car and it will reveal the spot weld locations. Drill those spot welds and move on.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

Part of the reason I want to use dual single bbl carbs is I intend to turn my single port into a 1955 and the carbs would be interchangeable with different manifolds.
What do they need to run as good as they can? proper sync and snail? Would a balance tube help?
I appreciate the honesty of your feed back but dual bbl carbs wont work on a sp motor
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

It don't know if the quality of their other carbs is the same as the hpmx. I think some people have been saying throttle shaft bores are wearing pretty fast on some of the new single barrels. From what I remember the shafts riding on the casting with no bush or bearing. But I can't recall which models or even if its empi carbs I read about. Since its a single port it might be possible to use something like a single hpmx if you can get a single port intake. Then when it's a bigger dual port add another hpmx. But I think the only cost effective way to do that would be to buy the set as duals then find a cheap used single port intake and use one carb from the duals. But it would need new jets and emulsion tubes to run as a single I think so that's more money. And you would have the issue of running a single carb without preheat. If I were you I would try to find a cheap used set of Kads or something then sell them and get duals when you go dual port. 34s would be a little small for a bigger engine.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear apron removal and carb review request Reply with quote

You want to cut the rear apron to make engine removal easier? How many times do you plan on removing engines?

We do that to race cars but street cars have no need for it. Besides, the rear apron is not wide enough to completely remove the entire engine. You still have to drop the engine and raise the car some.

The quickest way to remove the engine is using two jacks - one on the motor and one under the car by the breast yoke (Y-area).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: