Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus starts but turns off right away
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vmvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

I have 1973 bus I rebuilt the engine completely and changed everything. Broke the engine on a stand and it sounded good. I put the engine in and was able to drive it around for the day. I filed up my gas tank and found a gas leak from the gas tank. Fixed the hole and not more leak. Put the gas tank back in and now the bus starts but turns off right away. I push on the gas peddle but still cuts off. I read some forums on here and they said vacuum leak. I checked all hoses and they are braned new hoses and no where for it to leak. I checked again because that what you guys say and after that I checked again and again and again. The electric fuel pump works checked the wires all good. I do not know what else to look at. Please help
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

I’m kinda interested in what induction set up you running.

Welcome to the Bay forum

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba, vmvw. It's good to see you checked other threads for this problem. I'm pretty new to the ACVW scene, but have learned a lot in the past year and a half since I got my money pit.... I mean van. Laughing

The problem can be caused by a few things, but most likely is a vacuum leak. Hoses aren't the only source of leaks. Connections can just be a little too loose, or an elbow may have a crack that is invisible. I bought a vacuum leak tester on eBay which is very helpful. It blows low pressure smoke thru the vacuum system, and little puffs of smoke reveal the problems. You can also make one yourself. Just do a a Google search.

And good luck! Post some pics of yours when you get a chance. Sambanistas love seeing new bays.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Where in NC are you located?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

I have the same issue now, can't figure it out I've been playing with the wiring diagram and multimeter for a couple of day still no joy.

Is your bus fixed?

It start every time but die right away, gaz pedal has no effect.

1975 FI.
New AFM in the mail. probably not going to fix it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

kurtwil wrote:
I have the same issue now, can't figure it out I've been playing with the wiring diagram and multimeter for a couple of day still no joy.

Is your bus fixed?

It start every time but die right away, gaz pedal has no effect.

1975 FI.
New AFM in the mail. probably not going to fix it.

First confirm the AFM is plugged in, if that doesn't solve it test for power at the fuel pump terminals while cranking and running, also when the flap in the AFM is depressed (key on). Report back with what you find.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

AFM is plug in but has the same symptom unplug. the reason I jumped the gun and order one, should be in early next week.

power get to the fuel pump. key on and AFM flap open the pump is running, I've put my hand and felt the pump running. with the pump disconnected the bus doesn't want to fire, plug it back and it fire right away but dies right away.

crank the motor, the RPM goes up and dies right away. it fire quite nicely but it seams like the ignition switch doesn't want to stay engage.

All ground are good, tested from ECU plug, pin 5 and the other 2 pin 15 pin 16 I think.
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

me too..Smile

one minute my bus is running great...then I shut it off...then the next startup it would fire but not stay running:

one time it was because I didn't plug in the ECU (i.e. the brain box),
one time it was the s-boot to inlet plenum,
one time the aux air regulator hose cracked where I couldn't see,
one time the vacuum hoses from the engine ventilation AND deceleration valve looked like they was seated in the s-boot, but weren't,
one time the vacuum hose fell off the broken fitting of my airbox charcoal filter vent valve,
one time the vacuum hose to my deceleration valve disintigrated,
one time my fuel pump was wired in reverse. ...yes it will run in reverse...sounds aweful!
one time the vacuum hose slipped off my disributor because I replaced it with too big a hose,
one time my brake booster hose split...
I'm sure I missed a few others Smile

so welcome to the one time club Smile sounds like you have fire and gas, now you need to find air...

theres a lot to learn about vacuum leaks, good luck and please keep us posted on your status/solution.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

OK, sounds like a huge vacuum leak, but lets rule out the ignition switch first.
Connect a jumper wire (alligator test lead) between the terminal on the coil with all the black wires on it (should be #15) and the battery + terminal. If the problem persists the ignition switch is likely good, if it still dies move on to vacuum leaks, disconnect that test lead as soon as the test is done.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

No joy, still the same issue.

At least I didn't tore the whole steering wheel to get to the switch. Earlier today I started there with the multimeter, chasing a short or open wire.

This is a great little trick to rule out the switch.

I have a petronix module and I already bought a second one, thinking that could be the culprit, but no.

By the way thank you.
Going to bed and ill be back on it tomorrow.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Pour a teaspoon of gasoline in the S-boot / plenum - then start it. see if it runs longer or shorter. That will tell you if it is fuel related.

Put a timing light on it and start it. See if the light dies at the same instant it starts to die.

You could have something as simple as the distributor is not all the way in so once the RPM comes up it jumps out of the drive gear etc. Or you could have a vacuum leak as others have suggested.

If it is fuel related put a pressure gauge on it and do the AFM flap test again.
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Update; putting fuel in the s boot this morning and it did run for 2 sec more.

So I test the pump again. I removed the fuel line behind the fuel pressure regulator pinch the line to the tank. I ran the fuel pump and lots of fuel was coming out. at least it cleaned the line. Tomorrow Ill go buy the T adaptor for my fuel pressure gauge and a new fuel filter just in case.

It might be a vacuum line. I started playing with the 2 screw ( one on the AFM and the one on the throttle body) and unscrewing them pretty munch all the way out, I was able to get the RPM up with the pedal floored in. but like always the bus die right away. normally the RPM would go to 2k and die now its 3k but I was able one to get the bus to 4-5k RPM.

now putting fuel in the boot worked once but I tried a second time and I flooded the spark plug. so I changed the spark plug.

I retested the double relay, rechecked all the ground, I tested the resistance of the fuel injector by the ECU all 4 was at 4ohm.

I put a new battery I the bus and as I play around I have my car running connected with boosting cable.

This one is a good one
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

so the problem is somewhere in the fuel or induction system. You can rule out ignition I think.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

kurtwil wrote:
Tomorrow Ill go buy the T adaptor for my fuel pressure gauge and a new fuel filter just in case.

There is a test port on the fuel rail between #3 & #4 injector (LH side of engine), don't lose the little plug bolt or the washer under it.

Слава Україні!
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

I saw the test port but my adaptor don't fit in there I don't think I saw thread on
the exterior of the test port.

That screw is small and my adaptor don't screw on the inside.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Clamp a 5/16" hose over the outside of the test port.

Слава Україні!
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Update; so this morning it did the same thing and realize it was shutting down when the alternator lite would come on.

I disconnect the plug on the alternator and the BUS WAS RUNNING GREAT.

so I went and use the boosting cable to keep my battery charge and it shut down. connecting battery to battery.

the bus run with out the alternator and the boosting cable. as soon as the voltage go up it wants to shut down. pretty weird. now im in the diagram and CHASING a ghost.

any idea?voltage regulator?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

I'd stop for a second and give some folks here a chance to think this one thru. Electrical problems can get worse really quickly due to the nature of electricity. Can you remove the battery cable in the mean time?
kurtwil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

Battery is disconnected and charging right now. I've tested the wire going to the voltage regulator to alternator no short to ground and all have continuity.

weird that as soon as I connectect boosting cable it die. if I connect the plug on alternator in die. it runs perfect without the 14v
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bus starts but turns off right away Reply with quote

kurtwil wrote:
Battery is disconnected and charging right now. I've tested the wire going to the voltage regulator to alternator no short to ground and all have continuity.

weird that as soon as I connectect boosting cable it die. if I connect the plug on alternator in die. it runs perfect without the 14v

Maybe you had a reverse charge on the battery? Do the jumper cables spark much when you hook them up? Does the alternator spark much when hooked up?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: