Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Slammed, patina, roof racks, etc? I dig the trend and it calls to the vintage feel (i.e. a psuedo stockish) rather than the "modern" cleanliness of the Cal Look, which ironically seems passe to many.

So... waz it called, and what would you say the essential features are?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Would that be just 'German look' if you're talking mostly stock? Cal look would be what?- de-trimmed window seals, single piece side windows, maybe de-trimmed body.

If you're simply talking big motor, lowered, 50 or 60 yo patina, then I don't think that has a specific name.

To me, hot-rodding a Beetle would refer to the hi-boy style w/o fenders, beam pushed forward, exposed engine, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Resto-custom
minus the resto

Rusto-custom Razz
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

My area its called ghetto or hooptie
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Panscraper

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Slammed,
One of our local law enforcement officers called it unsafe! "Park that thing right here and get it towed to a repair shop before it causes an accident. You have broken axles!"

Well no but I certainly wouldn't want one like that, must be hell on tire wear as well as looking broken.

patina,
Please sell that sweet old car to someone who has enough money to finish it and make it look nice!

roof racks,
For the life of me I don't get why anyone would want to pile a load of rusty tubes and bars on top a nice old car to squeak, rattle and whistle in the wind!

So combine the 3 to describe these cars and "broken, rusty, heap of scrap" is what comes to mind. Now we can't call them that, it's not nice and folks go out of their way to make them look that way.

I'm just old school and like my pride and joy to look pretty.

Just me.

Others like them different.

All good!

Like old rotten barn wood picture frames and furniture, broken wagon wheels and barrels in flower beds, dead animal heads hung in the den, brand new thread bare jeans with ripped knees, jean jackets with the sleeves torn off, metal rings and pins apparently holding various body parts in place, big ugly ink stains on pretty faces and attractive bodies... need I go on?

Go ahead and call 'em whatever ya like, I will be mimicking my grandfather when he was my age - looking at the ground, shaking my head and muttering "There's just no accounting for taste now is there?" to no one in particular! Shocked
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I would call it Rat-rod, it's not really new those have been around for decades, with or with out fenders they look to be of the same... If it goes to excess with extra stuff, almost steam-punk.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Hoodride.

And to complete the package, don’t forget your treehouse and the dope beats raining down from above.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

This is interesting...because we do have names for everything else.

Kind of like Rusto-mod myself... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Hoodride.

And to complete the package, don’t forget your treehouse and the dope beats raining down from above.

Is a stolen battery required? Confused
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

China Style Laughing
Well that's where all the new parts on the car come from Rolling Eyes
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
Hoodride.

it does add flair to the overall presentation, but not 100% required.
however, peeing on your fenders is mandatory during some point of the build.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Slammed,
One of our local law enforcement officers called it unsafe! "Park that thing right here and get it towed to a repair shop before it causes an accident. You have broken axles!"

Well no but I certainly wouldn't want one like that, must be hell on tire wear as well as looking broken.

patina,
Please sell that sweet old car to someone who has enough money to finish it and make it look nice!

roof racks,
For the life of me I don't get why anyone would want to pile a load of rusty tubes and bars on top a nice old car to squeak, rattle and whistle in the wind!

So combine the 3 to describe these cars and "broken, rusty, heap of scrap" is what comes to mind. Now we can't call them that, it's not nice and folks go out of their way to make them look that way.

Got some signature worthy gold right here!!!!
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

This thread is awesome
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Sleeper Bugs have always been my favorite .. crushed many an ego
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
iowegian wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
Hoodride.

it does add flair to the overall presentation, but not 100% required.
however, peeing on your fenders is mandatory during some point of the build.

Little known fact - Dope beats can only be rained down using stolen power
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Fugly

Waste of a good car

Tooth rattler
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I call the look you describe no longer current- It's splayed and played out. I can always make money selling old coolers, suitcases and rusty chrome because there seems to be no end in the willingness of those to compete to the bottom of originality with the factors you listed.

But with ratrods you get into FAR more personal expression and talent IMO. IF no two are alike- a 'style' they are not. They are one of a kind- and the only custom cars I really stop to see at shows.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Slammed, patina, roof racks, etc?

So... waz it called, and what would you say the essential features are?

Ratrod.
Been around for a while and like everything, turns stale as soon as it has peaked, which it has.

I like to see patina on original cars, but once the owner starts modding the car, it just seems lazy and silly. And now it's been done to death. Faked patina is even worse.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Clapped out crawlers?

Beached wounded sea turtles?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: