Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I'll decent a little. Personally, I started out not liking the patina rides. The more I've seen them, the more I can appreciate them as well. Even the fauxtina. While I am NOT a fan of the clapped out, rusted out pieces of crap, original patina is kind of cool and even well done fauxtina can look good. Also, understand that it helps to make the VW community more inclusive rather than exclusive which in my opinion is a good thing. With the ridiculous prices that some body shops are charging these days, a lot of people can't afford the entry price to having a perfect, show winning paint job on their car. It doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast. Now, should a car with rust holes through the quarters and more bare metal than paint be competing in a show against a car with a $20k paint job? Not in my opinion. I feel their should be a separate "patina" or "ratty" class for these types of cars. But honestly, is that to help the person with the ratrod or to spare the ego of the guy with the $20k factory correct paint job....?

I would think for a patina'd car, Ratrod would suffice. For a nicely painted stockish car with a modified motor and lowered stance, Restomod would be the correct term. For a rusted out hulk held together with duct tape and holes so big you can see the road as you drive along, "piece of shit" would be appropriate.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
My area its called ghetto or hooptie

My area too. hooptie= Ghetto vehicle, usually lowered with cheesy aftermarket bolt-on parts.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
... "piece of shit" would be appropriate.

That would be my Crusty Pig. Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
... "piece of shit" would be appropriate.

That would be my Crusty Pig. Laughing

Nah dude.... Just bale on the clearcoat, Toss on a roof rack with 100 pounds of junk on it and lower it down so it looks like a dog takin a shit...... It's ALL the rage Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And the rope.... don't forget to wrap the front bumper with rope Very Happy
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:

And pinch a fuck load of bottle caps along the drip rails. Rolling Eyes
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I find it very humorous that the people that piss off the purist and have all sorts of hippy stuff painted on their car would have a problem with someone customizing their own ride. Laughing

Live and let live. Not my style but it doesn't bother me. I'm just glad there are people out there that enjoy these cars no matter how they roll them. I thought that is what this hobby was for. I didn't know we were all waiting on other peoples' approval.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Rat Rod:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
I find it very humorous that the people that piss off the purist and have all sorts of hippy stuff painted on their car would have a problem with someone customizing their own ride. Laughing

Live and let live. Not my style but it doesn't bother me. I'm just glad there are people out there that enjoy these cars no matter how they roll them. I thought that is what this hobby was for. I didn't know we were all waiting on other peoples' approval.

I have NO problem with it...I was simply quoting things other people have said about MY car specifically. "Fugly, waste of a car, tooth rattler." Good thing I don't care what anyone else thinks...about me or my stuff. No one else should either.

My personal opinion, I like things that are unique and creative. After a lifetime of car shows, how many SS clone 69 Camaros and Chevelles can a person look at...just different colors.

I like rat rods. I don't care for the faux look sander created patina or clear coated rust. I like tacky old crap on roof racks. Creative use of non-automotive items. Cars you don't see every day (like a 64 Rambler convertible or an original 67 Camaro with a 6 cylinder).

I just find it interesting to hear people call my car tacky, ugly, gay, etc. Hell, I'm tacky and ugly. And they should know a redneck who will paint flowers on his car wouldn't think twice about kicking butt. So I shared stuff I've been told about my own car. Sorry I didn't clarify that above.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Shaky Jake "Worst of Show" Style?
I'm not sure I have the name correct, or correctly spelled, but I remember his car from the 80's.

Last edited by ach60 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:

That's a thing? Never seen it before. Tried to Google it, no luck.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

What bothers me is it gets all the do Gooders excited, then they tell their do Gooders legislative friends and then for the states that have no vehicle inspections suddenly there are more states with vehicle inspections. Great, lamp, brake, ride height, bumper height inspections etc. etc. etc. For all cars.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
What bothers me is it gets all the do Gooders excited, then they tell their do Gooders legislative friends and then for the states that have no vehicle inspections suddenly there are more states with vehicle inspections. Great, lamp, brake, ride height, bumper height inspections etc. etc. etc. For all cars.

Not sure about the Do Gooders, But if it would get some of these unsafe turds (I'm not talking just VW's) off the road because they couldn't dream of passing a required safety inspection, Then by all means every state should require vehicle safety inspections….
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:

That's a thing? Never seen it before. Tried to Google it, no luck.

Exhibit "A" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2169349
Here's one of those death wishes now….

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Yup, it’s real...
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-vw-standard-beetle-bug/6564720871.html

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yup, it’s real...
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-vw-standard-beetle-bug/6564720871.html

Those look glued on, not crimped like so:

That said, the one on asheville cl is close to me based on the cl map. I have to say that i have never seen it while i was driving around.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

Hah! I didn’t look close enough. They’re trying to tick off all the boxes but failed in the cool factor, probably raided the trash bin behind the local bar for their attempt.

They were so desperate to achieve the look that they probably have more in all the crap from the local antique store glued & screwed to the car than the car itself.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Yup, it’s real...

Those look glued on, not crimped like so:

Yes, the crimped caps were definitely done by a professional and not some random hack with a hot-melt glue gun.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I'm guilty of some bottle caps...And old junk. No rope though. But I readily admit my car is tacky. Cool
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

I believe it started when someone at a festival discovered that in the absence of a bottle opener- you need simply pop the bottle on the edge of the raingutter to uncap the fun. It then is a simple fold and it's stuck on the rail- and advertises your swill.

Dumb ten years ago, still dumb today.

Be original with your car. Is it ever really fun to say you copied so and so's car?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the current style of hotrodding a bug? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I believe it started when someone at a festival discovered that in the absence of a bottle opener- you need simply pop the bottle on the edge of the raingutter to uncap the fun. It then is a simple fold and it's stuck on the rail- and advertises your swill.

Dumb ten years ago, still dumb today.

Be original with your car. Is it ever really fun to say you copied so and so's car?

Sorry to burst your ego bubble pal but no matter what you do it's not gonna be original, everything has been done
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: