Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help w/Identifying This Carburetor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

Couldn't find any markings on it. Help with Identifying it please. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

Kind of sorta looks like Weber 40 DFEV There was a similar version of Weber 40 DFAV the used water flow to operate choke where the DFEV used a electric choke.... Might have come off something like Ford Capri with V6..... But this is only a guess and maybe a pointer to 2 barrel Weber progressive of some sort...

Another candidate may be Weber DVEG.... Again a "WAG" (Wild A$$ Guess) ...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

It's nice of you to ask, but not really necessary to identify it.
Most lay resting in unmarked graves.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

Holley Weber 5200 as used on a Ford Pinto?

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

To be very precise, it is the WRONG carburetor.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

Not Weber but the Holley/Motorcraft 5200 series is correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

I've always found that regardless of brand, I can only throw them so far over the fence.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I've always found that regardless of brand, I can only throw them so far over the fence.

I haven't found a limit to how far I can throw them, just keep climbing bigger hills....

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

I was going with a big, ugly door stop. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

That is the best manifold to use for that type carb. It even still has both heat risers.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

....so you guys are saying that I should definitely NOT USE this carb? A weber progressive is junk? (Weber/Holley 5200-Motorcraft) Why am I just now hearing about this? Probably because .......... how in the hell would I know? I've never used this carb, I only have plans to rebuild it and THEN use it. What now? Shouldn't I try it, and then make an opinion?

1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

Way back when in the early 80's I bought a Ghia that had one of those carbs on it......To me it was just a driver car and I cared nothing about it as long as it got me to work and back.
It ran like a top and I drove that car at least 30,000 miles without an issue.
Whoever set it up did a fantastic job.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

It's all in what you want out of your VW. Personally, I'm a stock, purist. In 35 years of VW ownership I've realized these VWs run the best when they have all their correct (restored) parts in place.

The aftermarket was very active in the 70's and 80's when these VW's were still used as daily drivers. Folks bolted up all kinds of parts on them seeking performance. Decades later, most of those parts have hit the recycle pin and restored German VW parts are reinstalled.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

It's not a BAD carburetor, it's not worse than any other carburetor if you use it for the right job. it's worth maybe 30$ IMO, most of the cars it fits are dead and the carburetors outlived them.

I've been looking for years to find ways to improve the performance of a single carburetor on a dual port VW, even just to get it to run what I'd call acceptable. It's not so simple as bolting that on. You use that manifold it's simply introducing MORe design problems than it solves. There is a very limited number of applications where running that would be a good idea.
You might be pleasantly surprised if you try it on a singleport, OR as a low buck way to FEED a very large displacement engine. Even in those cases there are other choices that work better.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

You said that the manifold itself would be introducing problems, and that the carb may work ok, but there are much better carbs out there. Can you help a guy out? What do you recommend as a replacement? I only had plans on using this because I have it from another used engine that I bought, plus I have the manifold. I also have a stock solex pict 3 carb and stock manifold. Would that work better?

It's a sandrail (so it's gotta be a centermount carb), 1641 engine, CB's 2280 Cheater Cam, 1.1 rockers, and AC.N's L3 Super Stocker heads. What else do you need to know to recommend something? I don't want to take over the thread's direction, and can PM you if you think that's better. I just thought that the progressive DFV Weber/Holley5200/Motorcraft wasn't going to be a bad idea, but if there are better carbs to use for my particular application, I'd love to hear it.

I don't want to break the bank either, so money is an issue here. Remember, whatever you recommend, I have to go out and buy brand new....... and a manifold too, so if the cost is too much, is it that much better than what I already have? Or ....... if it's really a great carb for my application, and cost is minimal, then say that as well.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

On that I'd run a single dellorto, preferable 40mm but 36 would do, on a CB low profile manifold. If you obtain both items, let me know, I'll tell you all I know on how to make them work best. To me, that's about 300 max$, used. Maybe you have to WAIT a while to get a good deal like that, but I see them regularly.

If you spend 200, even 300$ on a IDF or DRLA, yeah it hurts.....but.... you can run it for years, then turn around and sell it, and get most of your money back.
If you buy a NEW progressive, or one of the cheap solexs, just take it out of the box, now it's worth half what you paid.
You might as well flush the cash.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help w/Identifying This Carburetor Reply with quote

I do have a new Weber 44 IDF that I bought for another engine that I could use. Of course, I'd have to replace it with something, but that's down the road. I spent around 5 or 6 hundred total for this carb. I had the techs at ACN set it up for me, and it's still in the box.

It's great to hear that they retain they're value so well. Nobody likes flushing money down the toilet. (although I do it all the time. Embarassed ) I think my little 1641 can perform just fine if it's done right..... with the bigger cam, good heads and great carburation. I feel it will do more than hold it's own, so I'm trying hard to build it right! And the looks of that shiny Weber up top. Man oh man, that's sweet!

I still want to rebuild that DFV Weber/Holley5200/Motorcraft carb and try it out someday. On something.... Just to see it work, and just so I can use the rebuild kit that I bought for it. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: