Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
California562
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

I got a 200W flex panel recently and my friend and I installed the controller and an inverter. I was planning to chase the sun w/ long cords I also got. However, I believe I can have the best of both worlds if I am able to secure it to the roof in a detachable manner.

This guy w/ a van gave me the idea (or his idea rather).

https://youtu.be/MJnBneuTL9c

If you watch it you can see he had an issue with the epoxy and washers etc not staying put overnight while drying b/c the road he parked on was not completely flat since roads are designed that way etc. He used JB Weld epoxy - one person wrote below his video that that epoxy will become brittle and not hold as the guy found out when repairing a m/c fairing..

Anyone have opinion regarding a very strong epoxy that won't move much at all over time? Otherwise, my friend is telling me it wouldn't be a big deal to just drill into the roof for the setup bc can fill the holes later if need be.
Also, in case you were wondering, I was planning to probably run the cables through my skylight... my controller is right behind the driver's seat.

Anyone done this? recs? suggestions? Thanks a lot.

PS, also I don't want to seal all the way around w/ tape, velcro, etc. b/c I've read the panel can overheat and also that would defeat the purpose of being able to take it on and off as needed.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun; EPOXY or drill? Reply with quote

FWIW, I bolted a standard type solar panel to my Westy top. Zero leaks, been about 5 years or so. I live in the PNW. I also ran the feed wires through a residential type exterior fitting at the pop top. No leaks there either. But, I wouldn't run the wires like that on a future solar install.

Given the age of these rigs, at some point, one will likely have to prep and paint their pop top. Often this includes repairs to the top. So, ya, if you remove the panel for some reason, closing up a few holes is no big deal IMO.

IIRC, I used a marine grade sealant at holes, brackets, fasteners for the panel install.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun; EPOXY or drill? Reply with quote

I mounted a 150 watt Renogy rigid panel on my roof using adjustable mounting feet with VHB tape. Two years going strong. I'll never drill holes in my roof.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun; EPOXY or drill? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
FWIW, I bolted a standard type solar panel to my Westy top. Zero leaks, been about 5 years or so. I live in the PNW. I also ran the feed wires through a residential type exterior fitting at the pop top. No leaks there either. But, I wouldn't run the wires like that on a future solar install.

Well, here's the irony. In spite of zero leaks via the panel mount points or point at which the supply cabling enters the pop top, water got in via the casing around the supply cables themselves. This likely would've happened regardless of where that type of cabling entered into the vehicle. And for the record, the panel, controller and cabling was sold as a kit. The vendor knew I was installing it on an RV. And, even though I tried to incorporate a drip loop at the "service leads" the water actually crept in far enough to corrode the topside of the PCB on my old PWM controller.

IMO, drilling some holes in the top is no big deal. "It's always something" though and there's always a "give and take". (pros and cons); "devils in the details". Personally, I'd rather rely on brackets to hold my rigid solar panel to my pop top over the long term.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

If you have a Westy and don't want to drill or glue the roof, this is another option:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7997837#7997837 (and his update post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8205727#8205727 ) . Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

The RV folk have been doing it for years. This plus some dicor or silkaflex sealant is all you need for long term waterproof entry.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

^^

I like the look of that better than what I used.

But to be clear, and this could affect the OP's choice of cabling, it was the cable itself that wicked in water. After sealing the sheath where the positive and negative leads enter, no more water ingress.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:

The RV folk have been doing it for years. This plus some dicor or silkaflex sealant is all you need for long term waterproof entry.

This what I have to run cables from solar panels through the high-top. It seems to have worked.

As for the OP’s mounting question, another possibility is to install a Yakima or Thule rack and put the panel on that. FWIW.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

remember...epoxy is only as strong as the flaking layer of paint it is attached to. having a solar panel rip off the roof at 60mph will ruin someone else's day and put you in court. bolt it down.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
California562
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

thanx for all the suggestions..

esp your last one Dan.. about epoxy and paint..

it seems i will be drilling vs. using epoxy probably..

and i'm lucky with the rain issue... i'm in southern CA.. i rarely take her out if i know it's gg to rain... but then on longer trips (ie, more than a weekend), it surely could happen.. and if it does, i'll just pull over, pull the cables, close the skylight etc and close her up.

i'll try to post pics once i'm done..
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

I didn't want to drill any holes in the roof so I used 3M Dual Lock tape (mushroom shaped, much, much better than industrial Velcro) to install a flexible Renogy 100W to the top of my Syncro (manufacturer claims 5 times stronger)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OXK1AK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cleaned up very well the locations where the panel would be mounted and created a rectangular shape with tape where the panel will be mounted (you need to gently press on the panel and will feel the mushroom snapping into place). It's been 3-4 years since I did the installation, not a single problem with it and the panel hasn't moved an inch.

Unfortunately, it seems I didn't take any pictures during the installation, I'll try to take some pictures of how it looks right now.

I routed the cable to the driver side vent in the back (I also used Renogy connectors, waterproof, and grommets to ensure waterproofness). Again, not a problem with it, however, I'd like to install a radio antenna on the vent location, so I might be moving the entry point of the solar cable to the top using the connector mentioned in a previous post..

Does anybody have a link to the white connector that was posted a couple of posts above, that seems to be used by the RV crowd?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out why you used 'velcro' like tape instead of regular double sided tape. The only thing I can figure out is if you want to remove the panel for portable use. Or, if you decide to move panel, it will be easier to rip up the panel, then rip up the strip on the van.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

I had the same dilemma when choosing to mount my panel and finally decided on this system that works quite well. You don’t have to have a roof cage to do it but maybe you can figure a way to attach the panel to a set of roof racks. I mounted my panel to the underside of my roof basket. The basket still functions for luggage when traveling (but obviously blocks the sun when loaded.) For us, the panel is most needed when set up for camping, not when driving, so there really isn’t a conflict. I think if you make it semi permanent, you can also park in the shade and prop the panel in the sun when camping. Any ways, here is my set up. I really didn’t like the idea of drilling into my pop top. I routed the cable into the van via the hole where the rear wiper power and wiper fluid line exits the body at the top right corner of the rear hatch opening. I was then able to route the solar panel wire to my controller by going behind the rear cabinet. I know it’s not what you’re asking but maybe my setup gives you an idea?

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

1 - I didn't want to drill holes in the roof (which I'm rethinking due to my need to install a radio antenna)
2 - I wanted the ability to swap the panel in the future once technology gets better (if I use epoxy I'd have to rip the pop top/panel apart, here I just pop out the panel and put a new one).
3 - I don't intend to remove the panel for portable use. Having the panel permanently on top, feeding/toping off the aux battery is amazing (don't have to worry about disconnecting/reconnecting, moving it, etc).
4 - Very, very low profile

And again, this is not a 'velcro' tape, far from it, it just acts like it.

Another option that I've seen around (which I also strongly considered) is to install Yakima tracks on the top, and then use sliding screws with an aluminum bracket to install the panel on it. Easy to install/remove/swap, and also fairly low profile. I had already side-loaders on my poptop and didn't want to drill more holes again.

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I am trying to figure out why you used 'velcro' like tape instead of regular double sided tape. The only thing I can figure out is if you want to remove the panel for portable use. Or, if you decide to move panel, it will be easier to rip up the panel, then rip up the strip on the van.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

What if…

Someone were to use VHB or similar (trim tape) to attach a frame (made of thin slats with bolts facing up) that allowed R&R of the panel without permanent holes in the poptop? You could then have the panel stowed and working up top and if you needed to put it in the sun while you parked in the shade, it could be removed and put somewhere more useful?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

Link

No affiliation, but if you want to adhere something to fiberglass, 3M 5200 is the stuff.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Flex solar panel on roof AND to chase the sun: Epoxy or drill? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:

exactly how I did mine silkaflex, with exact dicor, I just don't like to drill the van anywhere, no leaks water tight in line fuses marine grade, with smart charger
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: