Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep sump or?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Fellas,
i've always had street bugs, never any bajas. So with that being said, are any of you using a thin sump on your engines for those long hill climbs?
A buddy of mine has a Manx and had to switch over to a dry sump system for those long sand dune hills climbs. It was expensive and a lot of extra plumbing.
Just wondering as i am starting my first baja build.
Thanks for an info!
Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

What's really expensive is tearing off the bottom of your engine with a low hanging sump. Even if it fits over the skid plate then it probably isn't helping much with case cooling. You get a lot of cooling from the bottom of the case when you're moving.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

in central NM the gravel on a gravel road is the size of a Rubiks cube. we run steel skid plates and we do not put cast aluminum containing oil closer to the ground

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

My car will lifted and also will have a skid plate. I was just thinking of extra insurance being that a baja will see steep hills, off camber turns, ect. Especially with such little oil they carry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
extra insurance

Overfill your oil by a quart and/or fab up a windage plate that stops oil from moving around so fast.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

What Brian and Mal have said are correct. We don't use deep sumps in off road use as it is more of a detriment then benefit even if you are lifted and fully skid plated. If it's life is just going to be sand dunes well maybe then you just need to worry about bottoming out on a jump. I have used the mini super sucker pickups before that only add another 3/4" to the bottom but replace just the stock plate. I still use windage trays and tubes in my engines I build. Every once in a while I get a customer that has a spare Berg or other deep sump lying around that they are bound and determined to use but I politely ask that they don't use it until after my work is out of warranty and here is why. There have been more than a few instances of rocks bashing holes in engine cases and deep sumps even when fully skidded. A class 11 just had this happen in the last few years when a rock squeezed through a really small space behind the axles past the skid to end their race even without a sump. With a sump hanging down it just affords a bigger target and extra thing to leak. I myself have experianced the exact same thing in my own car and cost me a race. People say well I am not going to race it, but the trail doesn't care as it can happen at anytime you are on dirt no matter how fast you are going.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Oh I agree with what you guys are saying, hence the reason for the post. I was wondering what people are doing. Never thought of using a windage tray. Are you guys making them? Don't think I've ever seen pics of one.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=732507

This is typical of whats out there. They make one that bolts to the sump plate stud which I try to look for because they don't touch the case as much. After being in a case for years the slip in type start vibrating around and wear into the case a little bit, I still use slip in but mod them so they work a little better.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

I still like the idea of welding a plate onto the oil sump pickup tube.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=732507

This is typical of whats out there. They make one that bolts to the sump plate stud which I try to look for because they don't touch the case as much. After being in a case for years the slip in type start vibrating around and wear into the case a little bit, I still use slip in but mod them so they work a little better.

Thanks i'll order one!
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I still like the idea of welding a plate onto the oil sump pickup tube.

I think they have to be modded to work better. You can make a split tray that you can tap into below the cam bearing support also, those don't touch. I think the sump pickup is a good idea and would work also as long as you make sure the pickup will stay put in the case. There is always lots of disagreement on use of windage trays, I don't fault use of one or not as long as they are adapted correctly.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

I have a full flow oil system with a filter and cooler, a common addition to any Baja , and feel that adds a lot of capacity to the system and should help- with oil starvation in any situation.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Put a Accusump in it!

http://www.accusump.com/

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Deep sumps on offroad cars are against my religion.

57 Baja, owner of KaddyShack and co-founder of SoCal Bajas, had a deep sump on his Baja. He snagged the extra deep bumper cage and skidplate on a rock in Last Chance Canyon on one SoCal Bajas outing. He would have cleared the rock without the deep sump. But he got stopped right there. Took a few of us to get his car off the rock.

Ain't the only time I've seen trouble of the sort. I've had friends who've smashed their deep sump on a landing at the dunes. Almost NEVER see one on an offroad race car. For good reasons.

Both of my cars have windage trays. Also I add more oil with the full flow system to compensate for the greater capacity.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

I run them on all my buggies. always have.
Donald Mace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Have used one on my baja for 9 years. Been to mexico and all over and have never hit it. Baja is raised pretty good but i have a tube and 1/2 on the lower rail with a full skid pan + full flow, big filter, and cooler. More oil the better.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

So to each his own way. Cool

Some prefer it. Some do NOT. Take your pick.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

Many tried and true answers in this book:

Dale M. wrote:

Suggest you get a copy of "BAJA BUGS & BUGGIES" By Jeff Hibbard (HP Books) to more acquaint yourself with many aspects of VW bugs and such...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

I was just reviewing it last night, with a lot of "hum, no $hit, wtf was I thinking when I did that"
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

i bought that book in the early 90's at Sav-A-Bug. Still have it, still refer to it from time to time.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep sump or? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Many tried and true answers in this book:

Dale M. wrote:

Suggest you get a copy of "BAJA BUGS & BUGGIES" By Jeff Hibbard (HP Books) to more acquaint yourself with many aspects of VW bugs and such...

Dale

I was just reviewing it last night, with a lot of "hum, no $hit, wtf was I thinking when I did that"

That revised edition was Proof-Read by me. I was racing with Jeff Hibbard at the time.

We raced the HDRA Series in the US, and the SCORE Series in the US and Baja. The book is still quite applicable with lots of still valid info and advice.

There is more info about the picture if you click on it to follow to the gallery.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: