Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should be behind front kick panels?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing my front floor mats and kick panels. When I removed to old, non original ones, I found a bunch of foam bricks packed in there. Are these supposed to be behind there? Some sort of insulation?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

Vehicle is a 1977 Westfalia.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

Yes there is some styrofoam insulation in there originally.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Yes there is some styrofoam insulation in there originally.

Loose sheets of fairly thin stuff, maybe 3/8" thick. FWIW since I am long legged, I leave the panel off the driver's side to give myself a bit of extra leg room.
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

This isn't styrofoam though, it's more like a sponge material along with some loose, white, fibre type stuff.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

I would imagine someone probably replaced the original stuff with that in an attempt to insulate better when camping.

However if it's something that can retain moisture you are probably better off getting rid of it and getting something that won't absorb moisture, you don't want it holding moisture in there and promoting rust.
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

I kind of think you're right and that it was something the PO did. I was also worried about retaining moisture so I think I'm just going to remove it and not replace with anything. I doubt it will make much difference while camping.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

Thread here that illustrates what was there originally, at least on early bays. Closed cell styrofoam-type material, 3/16” (!) thick. All that would do is reduce noise a bit... but not much.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663471&highlight=
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

the original is thin Styrofoam. It was glued on and often is in pieces from age. Be careful that what you use does not absorb moisture and cause rust
Jay-C58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What should be behind front kick panels? Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. I've removed all of the foam and other "insulation". I think I'm just going to leave it and not replace with anything at the moment. There is already rust at the bottom and I don't want to help it get any worse by having some moisture holding material back there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: