Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug out of Winter storage
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flyer Honors VW Reply with quote

OK; I realize this post should be under a different "Subject Matter" but it's easier for me to pose simply via a reply. Question for all you Dub guys and girls. Being a long time wrench head I know about proper winter storage - gas additives etc., but this year I parked the Dub for storage and simply didn't add anything to the tank. She's out of storage, had an oil change, new electronic ignition, carb adjustment (My local VW Tech) and she runs good but does have a little carb mushyness (not truly a word) when accelerating. I'm thinking of filling the tank up with some New Gas and adding some Sea Foam to it; take her out on the Freeway and giving it a good run through......Opinions !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flyer Honors VW Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
OK; I realize this post should be under a different "Subject Matter" but it's easier for me to pose simply via a reply.

? Just click on the NEW TOPIC button at the root of the forum and enter in your new question. Not any harder than clicking Reply and gives you better odds of a flame-free experience for hijacking another's thread.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Flyer Honors VW Reply with quote

I wanted to do that but (?) I can't see NEW TOPIC at the top of my forum...is it under "Forums" or should it simply appear at the top?
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Flyer Honors VW Reply with quote

Go back a page to where you were when you clicked on this topic,
Look up near the top under forum index
I’ve circled where you click in red on my screenshot below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug out of Winter storage Reply with quote

I split the old thread for you so this is its own topic now.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Flyer Honors VW Reply with quote

itjustbugsme2 wrote:
I'm thinking of filling the tank up with some New Gas and adding some Sea Foam to it; take her out on the Freeway and giving it a good run through......Opinions !

I would. A good hard 1/2 hour drive will tell you what's up
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug out of Winter storage Reply with quote

I would do like Dave said and run it for a half an hour or more. Get the engine good and hot. Let the seafoam run through the carb. Park it on a clean surface and look for leaks (not carb related, just worth doing). If there is still something off with the carb you may need to find a new mechanic. I honestly cannot see any mechanic that knows what they are doing, adjusting a carb and giving it back if it's not running right.

I may have missed it but what carb(s) are you running?
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bug out of Winter storage Reply with quote

Appreciate the comments but as for a new mechanic; well my tech is probably one of the best out there and respected by all; him and I spoke of the carb concern way before we (he) did the other improvements; we new it was going to need some work if not replaced; we just were accepting the (very minor) delay in throttle and seeing if I could live with it until the new/improved carburation work is done. So it isn't the mechanics problem....I just wanted to see opinions on the Seafoam; I've used it in my mini bikes, lawn mowers and an old truck I have but just wanted opinions before I make the Bug drink it. So again; thanks for the comments but you won't find a mechanic like the one that works on my Bug and others who come from miles , miles away.

Took her out yesterday; she starts right up, idles fine, no problem getting up to 70 on the freeway; just a little "mushy" on acceleration. Going to stop down the shop, see if we can tweek it out a little; but until I get ready to install the upgrade carburation - well she'll be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: