Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idles Rough
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymmitsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Idles Rough Reply with quote

Hi
Wondering if I could get some advice on my 71 STD Beetle.
I purchased it 6 months ago - it ran OK but when cold was a bugger to keep running. Found Choke spring broken.

Its a AB engine - which should be a 1300 but PO insisted its a 1600. Anyway externally I can tell???

It had a 34 PICT 3 Bocar on it - it needed a kit - so I though I would buy a Solex from Volksbitz. Also had a 009 Distributor

A service sheet from PO showed Compression ~ 120 all cylinders.

I have done

Valves
Spark Plugs - Bosch W8AC .6mm
New Leads
Solex Carb - set by Tim for Vac Adv
Coil
Dist - Vac Adv Electronic.
Tested with "start you bastard" for Vaccum leaks.

Whilst I waited for the Carb (US to AU) I added the above - didn't run up.

Also moved Fuel Filter to under car

Once arrived I fitted - ran through the setting up of the Carb - Ran .. Ok but it would take 5 or so seconds to return to idle. Felt really strange downshifting Ran through the settings again.
Took it for a spin - wouldn't idle correctly had to use throttle to keep running.
I discounted the Carb so I started to add back some of the old parts replaced.
Started with the Dist - back to the 009, then the coil. Strangely - after the coil was replaced it returns to idle as expected - no delay???? still not a smooth idle.

Any ideas why the delay on the coil ?????

Cleaned the carb idle jet (one on righthand side) + turned it 1/4 of a turn with no real difference. Even cleaned and put the Bocar Idle jet in.

So I am thinking Ill need to clean the carb - maybe some gunk from rebuild or more likely when I moved the filter has gone through.

Is there anything I can do before removal.

If I need to remove any pointers to what I should be looking for when opening it up?

(I have put on the Electronic Ignition and Coil again)

Any advice is appreciated

engine Pic incase

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by kymmitsu on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Rough Reply with quote

Not sure if it’s the answer to your problem, but you said you adjusted valves to .15mm? Spec is .006mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Rough Reply with quote

double post
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kymmitsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Rough Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Not sure if it’s the answer to your problem, but you said you adjusted valves to .15mm? Spec is .006mm.

Good spotting - thanks - Typo
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Rough Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:

Spec is .15mm or .006 inch -- .006mm would be waaay too tight.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Idles Rough Reply with quote

Make sure the two ports on the rear of the carb are not sucking vacuum and are plugged inside. If they are sucking vacuum, it will never idle right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: