Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Engine Compartment Seals Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

We’ll be dropping the engine out of the ‘67 Beetle soon, and will replace the engine compartment seals and tar boards while the engine is out.

The new seals from WW are coated with a white milky substance that I’d like to clean off prior to installation of the seals.

Assuming the coating was applied to protect the rubber from degradation, is it
ok to remove it and what’s the best removal method?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seethesvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I believe the white residue is a release agent for the mold from manufacturing.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

You can likely remove the release agent with some house hold cleaner. Like 409, simple green and the like.

I installed one of those seals last weekend in my 67 and found that if you bend the upper lip of the channel that it lives in. You can almost get it to go in without a fight. It took me half an hour. But my car is not perfect so I wasn't too worried about a little scratch on the engine compartment paint.
Once the seal is installed, crawl under the rear of the car and look at the bottom of the seal channel. Mine looked good from the top side. But there were a few places where it wasn't completely in the channel. I used a flat screw driver to gently get the seal in the channel.
YMMV.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I sprayed my rear seal forward side with silicone lube before I installed the engine, so it wouldn't grab.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I found that rubbing the seals with paper towel soaked in mineral spirits removes the white residue build up. Now that they’re cleaned up, I’ll treat them with a healthy dose of glycerin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
...what’s the best removal method?

Sounds like mineral spirits is doing the job for you. Just wanted to add that gasoline will remove that mold release from weatherstripping quick & easy.

This type of screen roller (found at most any hdwr store) can be helpful when installing an engine bay seal ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

Sounds like mineral spirits is doing the job for you. Just wanted to add that gasoline will remove that mold release from weatherstripping quick & easy.

This type of screen roller (found at most any hdwr store) can be helpful when installing an engine bay seal ↓

Yes, planning to use the screen fabric roller. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

REALLY? I have never tried that - Assuming you get the top or the bottom in and then run that along the other side that isnt in....Works well?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
REALLY? Assuming you get the top or the bottom in and then run that along the other side that isnt in....

Yes, really...and that's exactly how you do it. Use the wheel with the groove...no lubricant needed.
It also helps to make sure the whole channel is fully opened up and free of dented-in edges.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I learn something new every day here !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

Congrats on reaching 20K posts, Cusser! Applause
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

Gonna stop by Lowes Tuesday and snag one for the shop.....Thanks for the awesome tip....I HATE putting those seals in...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I’ve read on here where several recommend using the 1966 and earlier seal on the ‘67...especially if running modified exhaust. The exhaust on my ‘67 is stock, so wondering if I should use the correct for ‘67 and later seal or switch to the ‘66 and earlier seal?

Is one easier to install than the other?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

The "slot" that accept said seal is pretty much the same. You have to force that bugger in there! Now the shape of the external portion of the seal is different and the later style,... well... might block one's view of their installation progess. But once installed, I'm not convinced that the early is necessarily better than the later.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

That is an awesome idea, thanks for sharing! Normally I find these things out after I struggle for hours and do it the normal way 😆

I will definitely use this idea when I get to that point
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

Another tool I found pretty handy for installing seals was the seal channel opener tool available from Gab-fab (I think).

That tool will open up and restore the shape to the c channel, though I suppose you could do this without it, but it may be a little tougher.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

I replaced the seals in the bug yesterday while the motor was out. The old seals were very brittle, so they came out in chunks, pieces, and bits. I found that running an exacto knife through the channels helped get all of the old material out. Luckily, the channels themselves were clean and straight so all I had to do to prep them was squirt some dawn liquid soap in them. Installation of the new seals was a breeze with the car raised on the lift and me standing in the engine compartment. All I had to do was insert the lower lip of the seal in the channel, and then push the upper seal lip into the channel using firm pressure on the screen roller tool. It took a total of about 10 minutes to remove the old seals and install the new ones.

BTW... I decided to stick with the correct for ‘67 later style seal.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

Good going, FL-Frank.

What has worked well for me with the whitish residue is simply a rag or paper towel sprayed with WD-40 and swipe the surface a few times. Same technique to clean grease off spark plug cables.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Compartment Seals Question Reply with quote

As to the earlier seal on 67-later. If you search through some threads you will find some anecdotal stuff as well as pictures that the 66-earlier seal may not close up the gap to the rear tin. Depending on your exhaust the 67 later z style seal may touch your pipes so you may need to trim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: