Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission woes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Transmission woes Reply with quote

I have a 69 standard bug with a swngaxle. And am using an empi trigger shifter. Drove this morning and now im having trouble fimding first gear. And second gear is just non existent. First at least grinds but second just isnt there. Any ideas on where to start?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

Well, the basics for any shift problem are to inspect the shift rod bushing up front and the coupler cage in back... did you look at those?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

Not yet... im just making sure i shouldnt immediately assume the transmission is toast.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, the basics for any shift problem are to inspect the shift rod bushing up front and the coupler cage in back... did you look at those?

^^^ this before anything else.
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

WENT OUT THIS MORNING AND CHECKED THE COUPLER UNDER THE BACK SEAT. I REPLACED IT LAST YEAR, EVERYTHING LOOKED OK. BUT THERE IS A LITTLE SLACK IN THE JOINT BETWEEN THE SHIFT ROD AND COUPLER. I TRIED TIGHTENING THE SCREW ON THE SIDE BUT IT JUST SPINS. SO ITS STRIPPED FOR SURE. OTHER THAN THAT THE RUBBER LOOKS GOOD AND IT IS FIRMLY ATTACHED TO THE ROD COMING FROM THE TRANSMISSION. I CANT CHECK THE TUNNEL BUSHING TILL TOMORROW BUT I REPLACED IT WHEN I DID THE COUPLER SO THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEMS THERE EITHER.
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

ALSO THIS MORNING WHILE DRIVING I DID GET INTO FIRST BUT AS I SHIFTED INTO THIRD IT GOT ALL WHACKY AND WOULDNT GO INTO ANY GEAR. IT ACTED LIKE I DIDNT HAVE THE CLUTCH ENGAGED. I WAS ABLE TO ROLL TO THE SIDE AND TURN THE CAR OFF THEN MOVED THROUGH THE GEARS AND STARTED BACK UP AND SHE ACTED FINE, CONSIDERING STILL NO SECOND GEAR AND FIRST GEAR A GRINDING MYSTERY. THE CLUTCH IS BRAND NEW AS WELL.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't mention this because on Bugs it a rare condition, but the needle bearing in the "gland nut" of the honking big bolt that holds the flywheel on, if that bearing goes bad, it "grabs" the input shaft and makes it so the transaxle is always spinning, and that makes for difficult shifting. However this one of those things that shows up worst in first gear, somewhat in 2nd and much less so in 3rd and 4th.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

Have you checked the transaxle fluid level and condition? Fluid should be right at the bottom of the fill port, brownish in colour, and not appear to be full of glitter.
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

Made it over to the vw shop by my work. He checked it out and i had everything in right and adjusted properly. Something went foul inside the box. So i nursed her home and she'll sit till i find a new tranny and the dough to put it in....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

I would look more into the clutch components. I have a car with the trigger type shifter, and had somewhat similar issues of difficulty getting into 1st/2nd. My issue was the cable end at the pedal/pedal hook were severely worn, which wasn't allowing the pedal to fully disengage the clutch. 3rd/4th gears can have the drive hubs come loose, and freewheel, but you don't just simply "lose" 2nd without some sort of catastrophic failure involving missing teeth.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

maloneduke wrote:
Made it over to the vw shop by my work. He checked it out and i had everything in right and adjusted properly. Something went foul inside the box. So i nursed her home and she'll sit till i find a new tranny and the dough to put it in....

No mention of checking the trans fluid yet. Question
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

fluid level was fine. i had a leak about two weeks ago on the rear driver side axle cover on the drum, i resealed and topped off my fluid and let it sit overnight with the plug out to make sure it wasnt overfilled. checked fluid this mornibng and level was still fine and didnt look like glitter. honestly i cant keep fixing it. ive had the motor out and apart five times in the last year chasing problems. i finally got the motor right and it wore out what ever was weak in the tranny. its time to accept that i have to rip it all out and start from scratch with all new stuff. only way ill have peace of mind to continue with this madness.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

That's fine if you've decided on a rebuilt trans, but I would still do a little more looking into the issue. If it's something to do with the pedal, or shifting mechanism, it could very well do the same thing with a rebuilt trans. Worse yet, it could damage it.
maloneduke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission woes Reply with quote

so yeah got in and checked and rechecked everything and all connections are fine, either way i have to rip everything out. while limping my way home my rods and crank blew out the top and sides of the case. so finally at the end of the road for this beast for now. i made the mistake of buying a rebuilt motor from a guy here in town later to find out he was a scam... so i feel the ole girl deserves new legs and a new heart, well at least rebuilt ones from someone with a known reputation. that way i can finally start dressing her up with no further worries...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: