Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RetroSound Radios
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

To all those that have a Retro Sound radio - how did you mount it using the stock radio surround?
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

Assuming a type 3 radio is the same as a type 1, there is a video I think of how to do it on their site. You have to bend the brackets that the controls are attached to. They get bent about an inch and change from the outside end on maybe 60 degree angle. Slip the faceplate on and you need to bend it enough to pretty much meet the faceplate. This also gives you the chance to get the control position correct.

Then have someone hold it in place from the trunk side and install the faceplate. You'll probably have to tweak it a couple times. Then attach the rear support strap. I just installed another one a week or so ago. Honestly its a pain in the ass to do, but they work pretty well and look decent.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Assuming a type 3 radio is the same as a type 1, there is a video I think of how to do it on their site. You have to bend the brackets that the controls are attached to. They get bent about an inch and change from the outside end on maybe 60 degree angle. Slip the faceplate on and you need to bend it enough to pretty much meet the faceplate. This also gives you the chance to get the control position correct.

Then have someone hold it in place from the trunk side and install the faceplate. You'll probably have to tweak it a couple times. Then attach the rear support strap. I just installed another one a week or so ago. Honestly its a pain in the ass to do, but they work pretty well and look decent.

On a type 3, the radio is completely inside the car. It hangs off a bracket from the dash lip, and uses a weld in nut (by the wiper motor) to hold up the rear of the radio. It's completely different from a bug, bus, or ghia set up. Do a search for radio mounting bracket to help.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

also, read reviews from people that use their car regularly and have a retrosound. They used to be junk, not sure about currently...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
also, read reviews from people that use their car regularly and have a retrosound. They used to be junk, not sure about currently...

Have installed several and installed one in m wifes 61 8 years ago and upgraded it to the Hermosa 2 years ago. She uses the hell out of it. Was not super impressed with the first one, but it worked OK. The new one sounds MUCH better and has a little more power.

And sorry about the misinfo on the installation - never worked on a type 3.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikon-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

I have one in my car and using an original VW radio bracket, which I bought from a person in the US and paied a few dollars to get it to Europe...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Really looks like an original ones... only a few cable more Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

Does anyone have any photos of how they made their retrosound radio work with the stock surround? Are threads from the shaft protruding through the stock surround? With the shaft brackets all the way forward the knob mounts protrude with no shaft thread visible.

Also, where does the radio hanger strap mount to the car? I see there's a bolt near the wiper motor - is that the normal spot?
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: RetroSound Radios Reply with quote

Aftermarket plastic AM/FM/CD mount for the notched early dash in my '69 square. I have another NOS mount like it for $100 in my stash!

https://i.imgur.com/0Af9GOu.jpg
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: