Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can anyone please help identify this carb?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dailyoliver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Can anyone please help identify this carb? Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

I need some advice - what do you suggest?

Today I damaged the electric choke on my carb. I was trying to undo the nut that connects the cable and it sheared off.

THREE QUESTIONS.

Q1. Can anyone help me identify this carb? See pics below. I have no idea what type of carb it is because there's no markings at all. Only these codes: On choke (3M 14, 47R-663A, 47R 512). On carb base plate R9441.

Note: the carb is absolutely crap - runs too rich in summer and does not work at all in winter (too cold no heat at intake manifold). To be fair I have had nothing but problems with this carb since I bought the bus. I suspect it's cheap Chinese crap - but I suspect you'll know better Smile

Q2. Is this carb toast or can I can just replace the automatic choke.
IF SO would the replacement come with the tiny rubber tube that connects the coil (first picture) to the actual stud (second picture) that opens and closes the flaps on the choke. Stupidly- I managed lose it - never to be seen again.

Q3. I was planning to fit dual carbs (when I could afford it) - what do you suggest I do. As mentioned I really don't like this carb - I feel like scraping it and fit decent dual carbs. IF SO what do you recommend with my 2.0 litre type 4 engine? Something easy if possible..

Cheers guys.. D/O.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone please help identify this carb? Reply with quote

Looks like an old Holley / Weber progesive 2 barrel carb to me. They were junk in the old days too!

see if there is something on this link that might help you out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495956
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone please help identify this carb? Reply with quote

The number on the base flange is a Holley "List Number". A call to Holley's help line should get you lots of info on your carb. The number on your choke coil looks like a Motorcraft part number. In the bowl it will probably say something like, "Made by Holley for Motorcraft, under license by Weber".
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone please help identify this carb? Reply with quote

dailyoliver wrote:

3. I was planning to fit dual carbs (when I could afford it) - what do you suggest I do. As mentioned I really don't like this carb - I feel like scraping it and fit decent dual carbs. IF SO what do you recommend with my 2.0 litre type 4 engine? Something easy if possible..

Dual carbs are not generally going to be easy, they have to be perfectly synchronized using various specialty tools and the extensive linkage must be setup perfectly. But if your willing to go through that time and expense then the Weber IDF's look like a superior option for the Type 4. Otherwise, a brand new Weber progressive for $400 may be your best option, even with its downfalls.
dailyoliver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone please help identify this carb? Reply with quote

[quote="dualbay"]
dailyoliver wrote:

Dual carbs are not generally going to be easy, they have to be perfectly synchronized using various specialty tools and the extensive linkage must be setup perfectly. But if your willing to go through that time and expense then the Weber IDF's look like a superior option for the Type 4. Otherwise, a brand new Weber progressive for $400 may be your best option, even with its downfalls.

Thanks guys - I will give Holley a call - but I'm likely to order the dual IDF's. Spoke to John @ ACN - I miss being able to use the bus in the winter. The single progressive doesn't get warm enough and drives badly when it gets a bit cooler.

I am happy to invest the time in getting the dual IDF's set up correctly. Looks as though this event has pushed me in that direction. From what I have read - dual carbs rock on a type 4 2.0l engine.

Cheers guys.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

D/O
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: