Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

So I bought a pretty new Jeep because my bus Got real weak on me on my way home from flagstaff in October... of 2016.

Been sitting ever since. I was so mentally exhausted from daily driving this thing that I’ve just been doing that reliable, powerful, off-road Jeep thing instead. Whatever.

So I finally moved out of my apartment and into a big boy home (I’m 23, I was 16 when I met you all on here). So since I have a garage, I drove to the storage unit and brought the dub home.

Terrible experience. Made it to 35mph, but that’s it.

Started right up with a new battery, though!

What do we think might be causing lack of power, A?

B) what do I need to do now that it’s been sitting for so long?

I’m assuming first drain the gas tank and replace the fuel filter... is there a cleaner I could use for the tank to clean it besides taking out the tank?

I’m going to replace the fuel lines, as well as the carbs once the summer is over. I don’t plan to drive Charlie much until then (I’m in AZ and the Jeep has AC).

Any other things I should be doing to fix any issues? It lost a lot of power on the way home, but I attributed it to the ICT linkage slipping out of whack. I hate these damn ICTs.... they’re the bane of my existence. Well— the linkage and seals are.

Any advise is appreciated. I’m going to have to stumble a bit to get back into this. But whatever you suggest, I’ll do it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

change fuel,
check timing and function of advance/retard in distributor operates right
make sure you are getting WOT from the carbs. and that they are not gummed up.
compression check will direct further actions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

OK, so I siphoned out the old fuel, and put a new fuel. As I was adjusting the timing after putting in new spark plugs, I noticed that there was a hissing sound from the right carburetor. I tested the balance of suction between bowl carburetors with a synchronizer. They were both on the same amount of air, but if I put my hand over the left carburetor the engine dies. If I put my hand over the right carburetor, it sucks in air but the engine stays idling?

I then proceeded to pull off the number one and number two spark plugs, and there was no difference to idle. Does this sound like a vacuum issue? Or a blown cylinder head? I don’t really feel like both cylinder heads would have holes in them? The engine only has 20,000 miles on it. I can do a compression test, but I also have an extra ICT laying around. I’ll swap that out tonight, and see if that makes a difference.

The timing is set to 32° at 4500 RPM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

rusty brakes? broken / chewed thru hose? Needle stuck closed? Get the carb cleaner and spray Light squirts around the base and the hoses too so not to burn it up. You can use propane too.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

To be clear, UNLIT propane... Very Happy
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Throwing parts at it isn’t going to lead to you to a diagnosis.

Stop , adjust valves, and take a compression test to evaluate pistons cylinder rings valves first.

It didn’t fix itself in storage if you lost power in 2016
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I had some time to work on it— adjusted valves to .006 per Dan at Competition Engineering. Then the carb started popping like crazy and I have 0 power. Cant even make it out of my parking spot.

I did the carb cleaner test— found a leak at the base of the manifold as well as manifold to carb. Replaced both gaskets, no more leaks. But the carb won’t stop backfiring?

009 timed to 32°, did LBI method again for carbs, and re-checked my valve adjustment. It seems to let up if I really back out my mixture screw, but there are no leaks anymore.

Ultimately, I’ve been dealing with this bullsh!t since I bought these carbs.

After I do a compression test and it comes back that my compression is fine, will I be dealing with any of this buying a set of IDF’s? Do they leak? Are they a better quality carb? Or are Dells or Kads better? I’m so tired of chasing vac leaks every time I drive it...
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

I have a love hate relationship with this thing.

I was scouting the forums to make sure everything was right. I knew it was. I’m not new. But nothing was helping. Then I decided I’d read up and see if I did the valves wrong.

In a post about finding TDC, someone showed a mark on the pulley, and I thought “what the heck, I’ll check to make sure I have the right mark.

I haven’t timed the engine since I got it rebuilt— it hasn’t needed it. Come to find out, the mark on my pulley was about 16° Counterclockwise from the notch in the back of the fan.

“No.... if that’s it, I’m going to scream” I muttered under my breath as I marched inside to grab a marker.

What do you know? I had it timed to 8ish° ATDC and I spun it to 8° BTDC then revved it full throttle and it’s at 28-30ish BTDC.

I’ve broken up with women for less. I hate this thing that I love so much.

No more popping. No more hissing. Clicking. No more sputtering. No more vibrating. All because of a STUPID MARK THAT WASNT IN THE RIGHT SPOT.

I’m so mad right now. Oooooooooooeeerrgh MOTHER—
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Glad your bus is back up and running.

AAVeeDub wrote:
... as I marched inside to grab a marker.

Out of interest, what is the purpose of a marker for timing? I've only ever used the timing scale and a strobe light.

Decode your M-Plate
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

I’ve been there too and could not believe it was marked incorrectly. Took me lots of time and money to figure it out. Good work. Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Thanks for the words, 7-1-dub-dubs.

Furgo, I can’t see a knotch in my fan. It’s smooth on the front. So I put a mark where I need to see it in the strobe light!

Anyway, now I’ve got emissions and then on to upgrading the carbs.

Wish me luck, boys! I’ll be back, I’m sure of it 🙄
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Congratulations on the easy fix, simple and cheap is always the best!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

AAVeeDub wrote:
I have a love hate relationship with this thing.

I was scouting the forums to make sure everything was right. I knew it was. I’m not new. But nothing was helping. Then I decided I’d read up and see if I did the valves wrong.

In a post about finding TDC, someone showed a mark on the pulley, and I thought “what the heck, I’ll check to make sure I have the right mark.

I haven’t timed the engine since I got it rebuilt— it hasn’t needed it. Come to find out, the mark on my pulley was about 16° Counterclockwise from the notch in the back of the fan.

“No.... if that’s it, I’m going to scream” I muttered under my breath as I marched inside to grab a marker.

What do you know? I had it timed to 8ish° ATDC and I spun it to 8° BTDC then revved it full throttle and it’s at 28-30ish BTDC.

I’ve broken up with women for less. I hate this thing that I love so much.

No more popping. No more hissing. Clicking. No more sputtering. No more vibrating. All because of a STUPID MARK THAT WASNT IN THE RIGHT SPOT.

I’m so mad right now. Oooooooooooeeerrgh MOTHER—

Welcome, you have officially joined the group now. Lol we've all been there, more than once, or twice, or ... Oh well you get the idea.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

The backfiring is an obvious symptom of leakage or timing being wrong. You use all your senses when you mechanic, or as a John MUIR says, come To terms with your ass for it bears you.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

In this case, I had both, and the timing was one of those “do it yourself to get it done right” things. An innocent error made by the mechanic led to me never timing my bus correctly in the first place.

How many miles do I have left because it was always about 12-16° late? Who knows? I guess we’ll find out and not worry about it till it happens!

Hit 80 on a backroad when I took it for a test drive, though. It hasn’t hit 80 since I rebuilt the first engine myself. Hm. Imagine that.

Thanks for all the help, guys. You all rock.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

Timed retarded just means your performance sucks, no damage done. The other way burns up your engine from preignition.

Glad you got it sorted. I get crotchety at people throwing their efforts into “ I tried this, it didn’t work, what’s next?” Approach because one doesnt learn from this. When you are out on the road is when learning the diagnostic approach pays off in gold bullion.

Okay, my Depends are wet now, gotta go, or went
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

I think I’m just the kind of guy that needs reassurance before I disassemble stuff that I know will be a pain in the arse to get back together.

The diagnostic approach has helped me in a pinch WAY more times than I can count. I just can’t believe how fast this 1800 is when it’s timed right!

Anybody wanna meet me at midnight for a drag race? 😏
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey I’m back! Don’t be mad... Reply with quote

I’m pissed. Laughing

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: