Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Hi

As some of you may know, I did install a 36hp engine Okrasa engines in my recently restored bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The long-block was bought from Joe Ruiz and I completed the engine with parts I got from another okrasa engine. It has been converted to 12V using a porsche 90 mm generator. I kept an standard 36hp exhaust for a bus.

Only issue found so far is that I have a leak at the oil cooler seals. Already on my second set, I need to find good quality ones.

Is the first time I do have a double carburetor engine, and also the first time I drive a bus so I want to share in this thread my experiences with this combo ...

I must say, been driving a bug and a Thing all my life...the bus is a different beast Smile. I need to get used to it yet.

As a first try I am using a 019 dizzy advanced to 10deg idle. The engine starts perfectly at first try and idles good. Although it has a smooth driving I see that is need time to rev up when I change gear. Seems it need the gas pedal to be really down.

However at low revs still shows good torque (helped by the RGB's?) and even in 4th gear can climb a slope.

I am sure it still need to run a lot more and see, I hope I learn how to tune it!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Nice engine! I look forward to hearing more about it.

I have a 36hp "spare" engine with a new top end and one day want to get the Okrasa kit for it. I'm having too much fun though right now with my big bore 40hp which is currently installed. Very Happy

I'm thinking that with the Okrasa dual port kit my 36 will run with, or even outrun the 40 when it comes time to swap.

Again, nice looking setup you have there.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

I ran a stroked 36 with dual stock carbs and stock crashbox in my '58 and could go 70 on flats easy and 60 up hill. You should not have to floor it to get revs up, maybe need to try an 010 that's what I ran.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

good. I installed a 010 and will try that. For some reason this one is set 90 degrees CCW compared to the 019....

hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

What do you end up setting your timing at?

I have the same setup in my 58 bus

perello wrote:
good. I installed a 010 and will try that. For some reason this one is set 90 degrees CCW compared to the 019....

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:

It should not be.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

hoss wrote:
What do you end up setting your timing at?

10deg@850rpm to start with

Glenn wrote:
It should not be.

What can be wrong?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
Glenn wrote:
It should not be.

What can be wrong?

Maybe soneone but a second mark on the edge of the body which you're assuming is the #1 mark.

The #1 mark on both the 010 and 019 is to CCW from the BOSCH name plate.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn

I did check number 1 mark. Found that when they both point #1 the bottom is different

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

I have no explanation.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I have no explanation.

hmm lets leave this as a mistery for now Smile

Concerning my weak torque low-end, the change to 010 made just a minor difference.

What I tried now is to adjust the throttle fuel pump bolt. I gave it two full turns and this really improved the carb progression. I mean the bolt at the top side of this picture.

I am not sure about how to set this, and if it is really a good idea to play with it. But I keep experimenting.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Some updates....

Found that I have a problem with the fuel valve, seems it only works good on reserve mode...but not in normal mode, the engine starts to choke. Need to check that.

Out of that, the engine seems to be getting smoother, and now I am more used to drive the bus....I am really enjoying it Smile

I still miss an stronger low end with this engine, but might be that it needs to be run more.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Hi Perello,

That's a great looking engine. Do you still run the splitcase gearbox and small nut RGB's?
I also have a stock '58 splitbus and I'm looking into options to get a bit more power. Especially since I want to add a simple interior to it.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
Hi Perello,

That's a great looking engine. Do you still run the splitcase gearbox and small nut RGB's?
I also have a stock '58 splitbus and I'm looking into options to get a bit more power. Especially since I want to add a simple interior to it.

Yes, its a stock small nut RGB and split gearbox. Just don't expect a great increase on top speed, but it should improve low end torque...at least this is what I wanted.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

My bus (completely empty in the back) feels like it has enough torque in the first 3 gears actually.
I can fully imagine though how adding some weight eats a lot of that power.
Enjoy your new setup and please keep us updated Smile

Cheers,

Peter
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

some updates...

ride it for 200 miles...and still shows to be weak rev'ing up. A trick I tried is to slightly pump on the throttle, and that gave kind of an immediate boost.

I will open the mixture screw a little bit to see if that makes a any difference..will also check spark plugs to see if it goes lean as I suspect.

perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

pulled out engine as, stupid me, I put the throttle tube backwards and was impossible to change it with engine in.

perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

after a 300 miles trip I decided to pull out the engine and take alook to the oil cooler seals.

clearly I was using a 10 mm cooler on 8 mm engine, so those seals are not right. One of them was starting to break.

I ordered an aluminium cooler from CIP1 with the green 10 to 8 mm seals and will try that.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

new aluminium oil cooler from cip1 is in with the green adapter seals..lets see the outcome

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp okrasa on a bus, my first impressions Reply with quote

Green seals are the key...8 to 10mm

The others will leak like crazy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: