Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Trouble!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccann1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

Hey All,

I have a 1978 autotrans baywindow. I have been driving it the last week or two after quite an extensive renovation and it has been driving really well.

Today when I took it out of the barn it started up fine but after driving it out of the barn and across the lawn the engine just died. It didn't splutter or make a big fuss, just kinda faded out. I started her up again and there was no trouble starting up but when I put her in gear and accelerate it drove for 3 - 4 seconds before dying again. This happened maybe 10 times in a row. It seems to tick over ok but then when I put it in gear and drive it dies out.

It was driving fine yesterday so I have no idea what is causing it! Any help!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

have gas?
mccann1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

Yes - half a tank!

I don't think all the vacuum system is hooked up right - would that affect it?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

mccann1984 wrote:
Yes - half a tank!

I don't think all the vacuum system is hooked up right - would that affect it?

Yes it would. You should probably fix your vacuum issue. Though I would expect that starting would be more difficult, and I wouldn't expect that it would work yesterday and not today from nothing changing on your vacuum issues. Then again, I'm constantly learning new things so don't take my word for it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mccann1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

Yes, it seems strange that it starts ok and was driving fine for the past 2 weeks and then all of a sudden this starts playing up!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

Information on what kind of fuel and ignition system you have would be very helpful.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

Maybe a hose fell off. Or one of your electrical connects (less likely).
Ive had a few "all of the sudden" problems in my time driving a vw van. Most are easy fixes, like a hose fell off or a sparkm plug wire was not securely connected.

watch out for those sparkm plug wires. Lol

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
mccann1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Trouble! Reply with quote

It is an automatic van with fuel injection if that helps. I know for sure that some of the vacuum system isn't connected properly - are there any diagrams or directions on how to make sure these are all connected in the right places?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: