Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [RESOLVED]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

I got my old removable (and leaking) collapsible tubes replaced. In the process I peeked in at the lifters' faces. One has a mangled "paperclip" that seems to be holding it at only three points. I thought I would slide that one out, and maybe grab one from the kids' toasted 2.1, but it seems that the lifter only comes half way out of the bore, where it seems to stop somehow. I don't see a wear ring, but its such a tight tolerance in that portion of the engine, that I probably could not observe it, if so.

I thought better of trying to horse it, in case I really would mess the whole thing up by busting that bent paperclip and the whole lifter would bust apart with no way to remove it. Perhaps I overlooked some trick to get the lifter out? As I have been reading a lot on how to remove them, it seems to be a simple thing. Just wanted a reality check.

I think that the paperclip might hold, perhaps. I intended to gap them all to .006 and then run through a heat cycle, then zero lash/heat cycle, then 1.5 ~ 2 turns in after another heat cycle. But, with this bent paperclip, perhaps I should get some better advice. I'm planning to go zero lash instead of .006, to keep pressure on that lifter now.

Thanks,

-bobby

Last edited by bobbyblack on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

i'd say you absolutely need to get that lifter out. those clips DO pop off and it will cause you headaches.

first try pulling the lifter out with a neodymium magnet glued on the end of a stick. see if you can spin it in the bore as it is coming out. even heat up the bore a little with a propane torch or heat gun. jam it back and forth with the magnet stick and i bet it'll come out.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

A bit of displaced metal will sometimes form on the edge of the cam contact surface and make them hard to remove. Installing a used lifter is a bad idea. You need to cross your fingers and offer a sacrifice to the VW gods just to install a new one and not have it wear in funny with a used cam. The flat fours have more lifter/cam wear issues than most because they run two lifters per cam lobe. Introducing one that has worn in with a different cam/lifter is just asking for trouble.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks. I'm back to the chicken and egg on this one, and here is why... Heating the inside of a circle of metal will actually decrease the diameter. I get the idea of heating up something in a larger perspective, but in terms of heating just a portion, this may be the opposite, if I understand the physics as I was taught.

Maybe I can freeze just the lifter outer carrier somehow. It would be pretty involved.

Next question: Does aluminum expand at a higher rate than steel? Perhaps the steel outer case of the lifter would not grow as much as the case if I heated it up in another way? Lets say 6 500W halogen shop lamps under it?

-bobby
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Dan,

Next question: Does aluminum expand at a higher rate than steel?

-bobby

Yes
Approximately twice as much for equal temperature exposure

9 1/2

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Dan,

Heating the inside of a circle of metal will actually decrease the diameter. I get the idea of heating up something in a larger perspective, but in terms of heating just a portion, this may be the opposite, if I understand the physics as I was taught.

-bobby

mmmm.... empiric experience would dictate otherwise. i heat aluminum housings up in order to drop in steel bearings. works the same whether it is a transmission carrier, a motorcycle axle hub receiving a bearing, or a lifter bore. i keep an electric fry pan in my shop for the specific purpose of heating up a bearing, a 'circle of metal', who's inner bore will slip onto a solid shaft. well, the pan heats bearings and cooks venison scraps.

-dan

Last edited by DanHoug on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
A bit of displaced metal will sometimes form on the edge of the cam contact surface and make them hard to remove.

Introducing one that has worn in with a different cam/lifter is just asking for trouble.

Thinking this over, I agree. Thanks ?Waldo?

So, as 9 1/2 suggests the aluminum will outgrow the steel, I will heat it up and see if I can slide it out using a magnet.

Otherwise, I am thinking I might be able to get in there and pull the bad clip, holding the guts in with a spare push rod, or similar... This would be micro surgery, and a high probability of overall failure. I will have to see what kind of room I can achieve and how tight a fit getting a hemostats to be useful in there would be. Betting I can get it out, but the replacement would be damn difficult to snap in. I guess I have a couple of bad blocks to test the theory out on.

I have a hunch Chris/tencentlife/Vanistan has seen this, and will waive me off doing something idiotic.

-bobby
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

They make a tool for pulling lifters...... Chevy I think? It grabs the retainer groove for the snap ring? It's been awhile........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

Just pull it and replace the retainer ring. Do not try putting a new one in there. The ring of his from oil grunge
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

Most likely engine varnish is holding the lifter in. A build up on the lower portion increasing the diameter just a smidgen.

You could try a few well placed shots of carb cleaner.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

I will see if a good soaking of carb cleaner helps.

As for the location at which the build up would be occurring, I am curious: would it just be at the outer edge, where I can 'see' or is it possible that there is a ridge of buildup or deformation at the other end of the lifter that might cause this? I don't have a very good visual idea of how that lifter sits on the cam, but I imagine it riding inside of the bore towards the cam, in my mental picture.

Thanks,

-bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? (Got it out) Reply with quote

Sprayed with carb cleaner, heated from underside with 6 500W halogen shop lamps for 2 hours, and was able to pull it out.

This has been apart before. This means I have 7 more to do, I guess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Broke this:

Cam side:

Now its obvious there is more to do:

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

You could steal a circlip from one of the used lifters you mentioned earlier, reassemble, and put back in the same hole.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? Reply with quote

?Waldo?,

Good plan, as I've got a week 'til payday, so no ordering parts just now.

Of the other lifters on that head, #2 exhaust seems pretty squishy too. probably a good idea to pull one at a time and steal parts from my kids' blown 2.1 (if they are salvageable) or the 2.1 that came with yet another parts van [AKA the DoubleCheese] and put this back together asap. While its true there was 8 inches of snow here in a storm yesterday, I still want to get this boxer back in the ring asap.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

-bobby
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

Bobby,

I sent my comment from my cell but will elaborate. Don't take lifters from another engine and replace them into your engine. These parts mate themselves to the specific cam lobe and its not a good idea to put non matching parts together to have them wear themselves yet again. Simply replace the damaged wire clip from another used lifter if damaged and replace the lifter in the same hole you found it. Don't worry about the "soft" feeling lifters. They'll all feel like that depending on where in the cam stroke the engine stopped and how long its been stopped, etc. Don't pull all the lifters if they're working and create a lot of work for yourself.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

Just an FYI, not all lifters are the same design.

Get one out of your wreck and visually compare them.

FWIW, I invested an afternoon, disassembled and cleaned all of mine. Saved many $$'s and they work quietly.
They don't seem to internally wear as much as they get gummed up.

I did take care that each lifter returned to its exact bore.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

Ok, from the amalgam I've made of the advice given, here is my direction: Since I have only pulled the one, I will only work on that one for now. I will tear open the 2.1 the kids blew, maybe starting with the worst bit I saw: Bent Push Rod Tube, indicating bent push rod, probable busted valve, or seized valve/guide. Perhaps that lifter has a useful clip, and that is all I will take to put my lifter back together. I guess I will grab the washer for the rocker shaft too.

I will soak the parts in lacquer thinner for a while, and clean them up as best I can before assembly.

Thanks all!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

That's a good plan.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

You will want a pan of clean oil to refill them during assembly...... and an oil can too.

Also something to depress the lifter as you reassemble it. Something that won't mar the pushrod cup...... like an old bent pushrod fashioned into a tool? Laughing

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter removal, is there another trick to try? [got it out] Reply with quote

Regarding that reassembly process, Dave:

Why do people use a 'pour-in-2/3-oil' then ... Can't I just put enough oil in a pan/pot/jar and assemble them submerged? Same process of pushing in the relief ball to allow piston down, but if its submerged, then there would be no way ANY air could be in there. Had that idea while reading ChrisToph3rs' writeup.

Maybe its to save oil? I do see how using half a quart for the project could be wasteful, unless you have a outdoor boiler dual wood/fuel oil, like me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: