Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Muffler for Vanagon? Looking for quietest option.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Best Muffler for Vanagon? Looking for quietest option. Reply with quote

It looks like there are 3 main mufflers I keep coming across for my 1990 VW Westy 2.1L.

Walker 22286
Gowesty Stainless Muffler
Van-Cafe 2.1L muffler from Denmark

Which of these 3 mufflers would be the quietest option?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

I usually buy whatever is cheap.

That said - my experience with stainless mufflers is that they are often made out of thinner gauge metal and result is a more tinny sound. Not necessarily louder, just different. But then I have no experience with the GoWesty product.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

I know the later vanagon's might have a slightly different setup, but i got my full setup from CIP. After running stock pipes , i went with this setup right out of the heater boxes, eliminating the cat , and stock cross over pipe. Its defiantly quite than my old failing exhaust, but i pretty sure its a little meaner than stock. A note about the stainless steel. it looked amazing when i put it on, but it has discolored drastically from the pic...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

Gowesty is louder than stock. It's a magnaflow muffler with vanagon connections welded on. Makes my 2.2L Subaru sound all the Subaru WRXes around here.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

The GW muffler is definitely louder and has the goofiest exhaust tip ever made.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The GW muffler is definitely louder and has the goofiest exhaust tip ever made.

Mine did not come with an exhaust tip; I used the original or you can use any Vanagon exhaust tip. What do you mean?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

GW reverse slant cut the tips so that the longest portion is on the bottom. I guess it was a production FU, but I chuckle every time I see one...kinda like when you see a Westfalia with a replacement tent installed upside down.

y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

Also are we talking about the Shorty McSporty Stainless Muffler
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

That's the tip, but the version I'm referencing bolts on to the muffler.

y u rune klassik?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

The Walker and the Ernst are both quiet mufflers - the Ernst maybe a little bit quieter.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

I have the Walker on my 1.9 and it is fairly quiet and I'm not running a cat either.

On another that I just bought, the 2.1 was upgraded to the gw stainless exhaust. It's just a hair louder (with cat) and yes, has one of the worst exhaust tips the world has ever seen. Sounds good though. Not very audible in the cabin.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Muffler Vanagon? Looking for quietest option Reply with quote

I run the stock walker...when properly installed (no exhaust leaks in the rest of the system) I cannot hear it at idle with the stock 1.9 or the subi conversion....from NAPA with lifetime warranty...I am in my 3rd one in 18 years..i like

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: