Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making bubble flares
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

I purchased a bubble flaring kit to make new lines for my Squareback. It's a Neiko brand kit. One issue I have is that the kit marks up the brake line pretty good when it's tightened down. Another is that I'm having issues getting it to make a decent flare. They tend to be off center, or just uneven and look like crap. Is there a secret to doing this short of buying a several hundred dollar flaring tool that I will only use once? The brake tubing that I'm using is 3/16th Copper Nickel tubing.

Kit:
http://a.co/cNITQqP

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Good tools are always worth it. I have an old Snap-On, maybe Blue Point, set for flaring ends. Purchased it new 25 years. Works every time. It does not leave marks on the tubing.

What brand is the flaring tool? Where did you get it from? Maybe you got a bummed one and need a good one.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

As long a marked area does not interfere with flare nut I don't see issue....

Probably could have bought a factory (OEM style replacement) brake line kit for cost of flaring tool.... Lot less frustration also...

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-698-996-A

Just saying...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

The seal happens on the head of the bubble. Below that basically does not matter. My bubble flare kit will leave marks on the tubing but not so severe. Once the flare is complete, I just clean the marks off the tubing with a very fine file.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Make sure the cut on the end of the tube is square. Use a tubing cutter. Dress the cut so that the end of the tube is smooth and there is no burr from cutting it. Using the die as a guide only have as much tube sticking out of the clamp as it says in the instructions, too much and it will crush and go off center.

brad
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

This is the flaring tool:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00170V64G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_iNO3AbE0XCWBH

Pretty standard unit and had decent reviews. Also saw it mentioned in other sites that it worked. You really have to crank down on the tubing holder otherwise when trying to flare it, it just pushes it through holder. Which causes the scoring on the outside. I use a tubing cutter, filed down the end, and also used a reamer to clean up the inside edge. I guess I'll just practice some more with it. I figured I would ask just in case there was a trick which makes the results better. I know this isn't exactly complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Try a little oil on it before trying to flare it.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

OTC ones work fine.However, I don't think you are clamping the block on right. The block should only be tightened down once and not slide while you are forming the bubble. Some of the blocks are machined out too big and slip.OTC ones are machined a little too small and do put slight indentations in the tube.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Bubble flare is such a PITA!! You have my sympathy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

My kit is OTC brand and even it leaves some marks on the tubing. As mentioned, these marks are easily removed with a small, fine file.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Ive bought 2 of those over the years, One model, I could not make an acceptable flare, the second tool, I made 2 out of 5 ok. Helps to plan to remake lines/fittings until they come out right. All had marks also.

Anybody know what are some top quality tools to make these? I'd pay a few hundred for a good tool
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

OTC is not what they were in the 80's but I have had good performance from kits on this page.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/flaring-tools?ibanner=SREPD1

Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

I have the Eastwood one. Makes perfect flares without marring. They also have the AN flare die for it. Any VW people in the Southbay are welcome to use it.
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Did a little more practice this evening. Kind of getting the hang of it. Although it seems like the base of the flare is a little uneven, hopefully that doesn't affect the seal at all.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

They crush, will be fine.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Those look ideal. What did you change in your process?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

Those look good. As long as they fully engage the receptacle, you are in business.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Making bubble flares Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Those look ideal. What did you change in your process?

Filed down the end of the tubing a bit more to try to make it flat, and reamed out the opening just a bit more. Also put a little dab of oil on the die. And lastly, don't tighten the die all the way against the tubing holder. Stop just before it hits. That got me the best results do far.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: