Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

^^That's fantastic! It sounds great...nice work!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Better test fit in the car now to see if you have any clearance issues as was cautioned. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
^^That's fantastic! It sounds great...nice work!

Thanks dude!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Better test fit in the car now to see if you have any clearance issues as was cautioned. Cool

Yes, now is the next step. Put in the bus and finish the all details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We have work a lot. We need finish the project in 20 days for go to a show here. Lets drive 2000miles with this engine in the 59 bus. I will post some pics of everything

Thanks a lot all guys!!
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

that EMPI distributor is trash, you should REALLY find a Bosch cast distributor.

otherwise looks cool!
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

I have the original Bosch but my choice is the empi because I will use the eletronic ignition. I worked with this distributor for many years. Checking everytime the point and I havent had anything
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

MAMEDE wrote:

What a beast of an engine! What's the copper line for going into the Judson?

Btw, are you hooking this up to a bus on RGB's or a different gearbox?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

I had those same 7mm plug wires on my engine, and had several people recommend against them saying that they arc in short time. I was having what I appeared to be firing issues (turned out to be a fuel delivery issue instead) and thought it best to replace the wires as a first step in figuring things out. Since I really liked the look of the cloth wire I bought some 8mm wire from Lowbrow Customs and made my own. It's a much more sturdy feeling wire, and so far it's performing well. The cut-to-length is a nice bonus too.

Those wires may work great for you over a long period of time, but just thought I'd share in case any issues with them came up.

Beautiful engine you've put together there!

8mm wire on left, 7mm on right.

MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
MAMEDE wrote:

What a beast of an engine! What's the copper line for going into the Judson?

Btw, are you hooking this up to a bus on RGB's or a different gearbox?

Thanks Peter.
The copper line for Judson is for oil lubrification.
I will change the transaxel, I will put the gear box from 65, for more speed and engine life!! 🤣
MAMEDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
I had those same 7mm plug wires on my engine, and had several people recommend against them saying that they arc in short time. I was having what I appeared to be firing issues (turned out to be a fuel delivery issue instead) and thought it best to replace the wires as a first step in figuring things out. Since I really liked the look of the cloth wire I bought some 8mm wire from Lowbrow Customs and made my own. It's a much more sturdy feeling wire, and so far it's performing well. The cut-to-length is a nice bonus too.

Those wires may work great for you over a long period of time, but just thought I'd share in case any issues with them came up.

Beautiful engine you've put together there!

8mm wire on left, 7mm on right.

Thanks Pete for your share with us. I will change when I can. Ignition problem in a Judson engine is a big problem.

Very nice engine you have. Congratulations
brisbane6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

MAMEDE wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Yes, now is the next step. Put in the bus and finish the all details.

Looks great... How did it fit? Did you find a way to install air-cleaner?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

That engine sounds great! Can't wait to hear how it performs.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Hello.
I can only agree, a very nice looking, - and responsive engine. You did the right thing with modifying the 1300 manifold to the 1200 based engine. That alone makes a very significant difference in engine performance and behaviure.
Wrt the Judson equipped engines running hot. There is definitely an issue, but it can be worked with. first, the charger needs to be perfect. A somewhat worn propeller or "scratched" housing can make the charger increase temps to very high levels. Next, good oil cooling and of course a proper functioning cooling system has to be. The use of a late model shroud and oil cooler helps tremendeously. You need to play a little with the fan gearing to make it good. Last thing. It is not used much, but the addition of an SVDA type distributor can help decrease especially cylinderhead temps along with better fuel efficiency uo cruise, along with even better throttle response. (That above engine does not seem to suffer from issues with throttle response though)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

MAMEDE wrote:
New air cooled tins for 36hp

Where are these from? Any better with keeping cool?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

Sure looks like "Cool Air" tin or what ever it's called for 1600 based engines. I'll never run that on any of my engines. I'm just surprised that someone would go to the trouble of designing it for a 36hp engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Sure looks like "Cool Air" tin or what ever it's called for 1600 based engines. I'll never run that on any of my engines. I'm just surprised that someone would go to the trouble of designing it for a 36hp engine.

Type 3 under cylinder tin. I didn’t know they made them for 36hps. That’s why I’m inquiring. Interesting.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
MAMEDE wrote:

Info or a link to these?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Vintage Speed Bus - Opinions? Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
D-train wrote:
MAMEDE wrote:

Info or a link to these?

I dont mind folks looking for better ideas ..i do it all the time lol ..but There has been researched in the past that those cool tins don't work for a upright engine ...but some say they work some say they don't..lots of folks say they just a marketing tool to buy when they don't really work for the upright engines...those cool tins were made for the type3 fan system...if you install these your bottom shoe box won't fit ....if you really want these you should really look into it ..if they will really be for you the performance form talks about them...i guess you really gotta try them for yourself and see how the engine runs ....i thought about putting them on a 36hp to in the past but I did research on what folks had to say but mixed reviews mostly bad so I never did make a pair for my engine but it's nice to see that someone had the same idea as I did but who knows if they really work 🤷‍♂️... but it's all hear say no one really has data if they work or not .....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: