Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

043 mexican heads on 1776 project
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pau79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: 043 mexican heads on 1776 project Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I try to build my first engine. I'm going to set it up in a 71 westy.

The specifications are:
as41 case
90.5 mahle
40 webber double carburetors
bosch 019
engle 100 camshaft
genne berg solid shafts
original rockers
push rods crhomoly
valve springs and lifters engle
luk clutch 200mm
crankshaft cranks and original balanced flywheel.

the heads are a 043101375R mexico that have valves of 33 and 29 mm.
I am willing to put new guides, valves and valve seats to make sure everything is in order.

my question is if I keep the original valve measurements or I put some bigger ones for this engine configuration.

greetings
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 043 mexican heads on 1776 project Reply with quote

Those must be fuel injected heads?

I would do 35x32 for sure if you are sticking with a w100 cam. It might be cheaper for you to get a set of AA, or Mofoco, stock valve heads rather then paying to get those heads reworked.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pau79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 043 mexican heads on 1776 project Reply with quote

Hello Brian,
I understand then that running with 33x29 valves is not an option. I'm going to compare prices on condition the 043 or buy a new AA.
thanks for your reply .
regards
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 043 mexican heads on 1776 project Reply with quote

It will run with the small valves, but those are 40hp size. You might as well stick with a stock cam if you keep the smaller valves.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 043 mexican heads on 1776 project Reply with quote

Far as practical experience, with carburetors, larger valve is better! When done right.
I actually prefer to use Fi heads as a base for installing larger vlaves, the small valve heads allows the most freedom to make the valve pocket and throat as good as it can be.

I'm not 100% sure why VW chose to use smaller valves with the fuel injected models. That IMO is the mystery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: