Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Heater Core Replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

I have spent a few hours searching the vault. And cant find info on what I need.

Rear Heater Core is leaking and am looking to replace it.

Only parts I need are the Heater Core and the O-ring for the Rear Heater Valve, correct?

Additionally, after we replace it, do we need to fully bleed the system? Or just bleed at the heater core bleeder? Any special tools you recommend...yes I know there are 100 threads.

Thanks,

Jeff
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

the heater core and o-ring will likely solve the leak issue. but the valve itself can also leak but that doesn't leave the green corrosion at the base of the heater core, it just drips to the exterior.

use 'hose pinch pliers' on the two heater hoses and you'll only loose the quantity of coolant contained in the core. easily dealt with by burping the air out of the pressure reservervoir when warm. the cheap orange colored hose pliers work well enough for this job and most FLAPS will have them.

that o-ring, BTW, is a special square profile one that has quite a bit of compression when new. they'll sorta thermoform and lay flat as water when in place for a while and do leak then.

i've got 3 heater cores removed sitting in my junk pile, all show signs of leaking from the core/tank. free for the shipping if anyone wants them before going to scrap.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

I'm dealing with the same thing right now, GW sells the actual valve for ~40$ I think, unless you're in a rush I'd start by replacing the gasket unless you're sure the core itself it leaking

or..

buy the 10$ kit to delete it and get a propex or w/e fancy diesel heater, I'm currently using a mr. buddy for changing into my wetsuit during the cold times and just having my valve closed on the rear heater
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
I'm dealing with the same thing right now, GW sells the actual valve for ~40$ I think, unless you're in a rush I'd start by replacing the gasket unless you're sure the core itself it leaking

or..

buy the 10$ kit to delete it and get a propex or w/e fancy diesel heater, I'm currently using a mr. buddy for changing into my wetsuit during the cold times and just having my valve closed on the rear heater

The heater core itself is leaking. I considered putting a propex here. Also have a Mr Buddy currently.

My front heater core needs attention, not leaking but inactive fan. So I am going to fix this.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the heater core and o-ring will likely solve the leak issue. but the valve itself can also leak but that doesn't leave the green corrosion at the base of the heater core, it just drips to the exterior.

use 'hose pinch pliers' on the two heater hoses and you'll only loose the quantity of coolant contained in the core. easily dealt with by burping the air out of the pressure reservervoir when warm. the cheap orange colored hose pliers work well enough for this job and most FLAPS will have them.

that o-ring, BTW, is a special square profile one that has quite a bit of compression when new. they'll sorta thermoform and lay flat as water when in place for a while and do leak then.

i've got 3 heater cores removed sitting in my junk pile, all show signs of leaking from the core/tank. free for the shipping if anyone wants them before going to scrap.

-dan

Its the core leaking as its cooroded. The valve and seal seem to be good. Pressure reservoir meaning the rear pressure tank?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

Harbor Freight is your friend!

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycl...65116.html

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

I have had better luck using a regular o-ring than the square cross section one. Takes less pressure to compress and thus doesn't distort the plastic of the valve as much.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

On mine (I'm using two Vanagon Rear Heaters in my '78 Bus) I had one flange warp and start leaking.

I had good luck flattening the warped flange with a big bastard file, and sealing it up with a fresh o-ring and some RTV as reinforcement.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Heater Core Replacement Reply with quote

I was reluctant to give up free heat, especially since the stock heater puts out so much of it when the engine's running. So when it eventually began leaking, I changed both core and valve.

When I later installed a Propex, I flipped the stock heater over, modified it slightly, and stacked it into the same footprint:

The PO had originally installed a disc changer above the stock heater, and the old access hole lined up well enough:

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: