Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations for electrical work in Portland
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mankowski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for electrical work in Portland Reply with quote

Do you have recommendations for or against any Automotive electricians in Portland Oregon?

I am installing the headlight relays and run into a problem because the prior owner has cut into the wires. They have installed a set of driving lights and a set of fog lights, and this is making the relay installation problematic. I have the relays correctly installed but now the fuse blows when the lights are turned on brights. I am pretty sure this is because the power to run the driving lights is also running through the headlight switch. My experience is very limited and at this point I really want someone who knows what they're doing to repair it with the least modifications to the original wiring as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for electrical work in Portland Reply with quote

Hopefully the PO just used the headlight wiring as a relay trigger, rather than as a direct connection to the aux. lights. I would try and trace the wiring as far as you can see under the dash, and then backwards from the aux. lights. You might need to pull the grille in order to facilitate the tracing. If you don't find any relays, then most definitely disconnect the aux. lights altogether and try to return the headlight wiring back to stock.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mankowski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for electrical work in Portland Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. You have inspired me to give it another close look. During the headlight relay install, I located a wire from the driving lights that is spliced into one of the wires that is part of the headlight circuit (see photo). I also found what I believe are non-stock Bosch relays (part #332014150), but I do not know if these are part for the aftermarket driving lights circuit or something else. I'll report back after further investigation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for electrical work in Portland Reply with quote

Im not a expert but I can definitely help next time I’m in town! Give me a holler, my numbers in my signature.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: