Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difficulty determining buggy model
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwdenton44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

ok so I have searched and searched for the past couple of days trying to figure the make of the dune buggy that has sat in my grandfathers barn for about 35 years. SO i decided a last ditch effort to come here and ask for some help. I plan on getting it out and pulling the body off of it and completely going through it.

Things i do know. It HAD a 110 hp corvair motor, corvair trans VW floor pan and front end. To me it seems to be very close to a manx but it has no id tags on it.

Thanks in advance guys.

These 4 photos are the only ones i currently have but i can get more if needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Its missing the "eye brow" (raised area) around the carburetor relief on rear and does not have proper bump out on hood for Manx emblem... It probably about 1 of 200 different clones taken off a real Manx body and some changes made to make a it a 'something'....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cwdenton44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

I was pretty sure it wasn't a Manx because of the bump on the front is an oval. Didn't know if anyone knew possibly what make it was but i do realize there is so many makers out there it is hard to determine.
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

I'm assuming you have been to the DBA , Dune Buggys Archive site. Lots of info there if you haven't. Otherwise those rims are gorgeous!!! Looks like non chromed Fentons, or early Supremes. I run Supremes on mine, love the style. Good luck with your search, I wouldn't personally worry about the brand, I'd just save it and prepare it for years of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Your grandfather owned a pretty cool buggy, cool paint, very cool wheels and bias ply tires and some nice accessories

The engine cage is a Hadley Transvair adapter.

Those front reflectors were sold by EMPI and used on the early Imp. They're fairly rare.

LesbleuBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Whatever it is, it's a very cool buggy and worth restoring.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

sweet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Great start. What part of Georgia are you in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwdenton44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Thinks for all the reply's. I plan on getting it out and bringing it to my house and pull the body off and slowly bring her back to life. I will post some pictures as i go.

I live in Coweta County what part are you in?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

That thing is COOL!!!!

I'd put it back just like original. A Corvair turbo motor would be a lot of fun!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwdenton44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

It had a turbo motor in it I still have it. But after running all the numbers on the motor it was a 110 with a turbo slapped on it. So I'm just going back with a regular 110.

Also the floor pans are in great shape someone put some type of thick rubber coating on them.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

I would clean it up and run it this summer! If the floor pans are good, there is no reason to take it apart. I love the stripes!!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I would clean it up and run it this summer! If the floor pans are good, there is no reason to take it apart. I love the stripes!!

Yes season is upon us.... Clean it up, make it run enjoy summer then you have all winter to "restore it"....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Yes! Clean that Corvair engine up and run it! That was a very popular swap back then. That engine will outlast a truck load of VW type 1 engines.

Hopefully it wasn't put in with the two speed automatic though...
Manxdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

PM sent. .. I believe that was made by Irwin. .but it's not the wrangler model.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Your instincts may be to take this home and blow it apart and redo the whole thing. I say just clean it up, make it safe and run it the way it is. This type of survivor is very desirable. So cool to see it as it was. like a time capsule.

Also to note. The Transvair setup on your buggy required the stock transaxle mounting forks to be removed. You would have to restore the stock transaxle mounts to use VW power now.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Yes, don't "restore" it. Preserve it, clean it and put it back the way it was, turbo and all.👍👍

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

Barn finds are cool ...like B-M said; 'use it.' 'Better original than restored ...sometimes, even at Pebble Beach.

Jim
Manx #2614
cwdenton44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

After thinking about it i think i'm gonna take the advice. I'm work as a mechanic and know i can get it done but i also know i could get it torn apart and then Life Happens and not ever get it put back together. So i am gonna build the engine slap it in and clean it up. As long as everything checks out good once i put it up
on a rack.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty determining buggy model Reply with quote

I'm just curious, does it have a manual transmission?

VW or Corvair?

Hopefully not the two speed GM Power Glide!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: