Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idahotheo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled Reply with quote

Unfortunately after having my van for 2 years a small oil leak developed into a larger one. It’s an 82 aircooled 2.0 motor, supposably with a big bore cylinder kit and rebuilt maybe 10,000 Miles ago..
I recently checked compression and found cylinder #4 to be very low(35 psi) while the others were around 130. I finally pulled the engine out and got into it to see where the leak was coming from. Turns out the cylinder was either installed incorrectly last time or something went wrong to where the cylinder had some movement and was wearing down the base ring (see picture)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When put together the piston does not sit flush to the head because of the worn down area on the base of the cylinder. This is causing a gap between the cylinder and ge head . I definitely need a new cylinder, but I’m tryng to decide if I need a new engine block as well. It’s hard to tell if the aluminum case was damaged without splitting the case and measuring out from the crank. The doesn’t appear to be any damage to the aluminum case , which is odd seeing the cast cylinder is worn down... but I’m trying to figure out my options here..

Do I go he route of getting new cylinders and hoping they’ll match up and be flush? Or try to find a used long block and swap it?
Thanks in advance for all info

Where is a good place to start looking for new or possible used long bloks? Or just the cylinderst ehmselves? Thanks !
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled Reply with quote

As a test can you put one of the other good cylinders on that hole and see if it seats flush?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Idahotheo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled Reply with quote

Thanks that’s a good idea. I’ll use the good cylinder to check the seal between the block and he cylinder .
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled Reply with quote

Idahotheo wrote:

You cylinders are not a matched set so it is possible that one is effectively longer or shorter than the others.

Look at the difference in the fins on the head end of the cylinders, there is an obvious difference in their design.

You can have your block deck recut if it is not level, same with the heads. The right shop could also cut the cylinders so that their heights are all the same, but buying replacement P&C kits might well cost less and would be way less hassle.

Before buying anything you need to see if the head and block were opened up for over sized cylinders or not.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or rebuild? ‘82 aircooled Reply with quote

Wildthings is on to it, looks to me like that builder just threw parts at it, or made a mistake when picking the pieces out from a few different engines they were building. Sadness that you ended up with something billed as a recent rebuild. Hope you can pull a matching set together. Wonder who got the other bad match..

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: