Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I'm working on a friends 52 split window project. He previously had a very unique neon rear brake light that operated in concert with the usual popes nose brake light.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He wants to convert the neon lights to also flash as independent turn signals.

The pieces of the system I currently have are two separate pieces of neon glass (that light up red), a 6V to 12V inverter, and a 12V power supply for neon signs.

Currently this setup will light up both neon tubes when the car brakes are applied.

What I want to do is continue to have both light up with the brake pedal, but change it so the left lights up with the left turn and the right with the right turn. Semaphores will only raise and light up, no flashing.

Ideally the neon brake light will be on continuously on one side and flash on the other when turning, and both will light up when only braking.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the proper wiring and power supply(s) I will need to get this working?

Here's how the original setup worked

Here's all the components I believe will be involved in making the changes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

can you use a later 6 wire turn signal switch? Assuming you are using a 3-wire switch now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
can you use a later 6 wire turn signal switch? Assuming you are using a 3-wire switch now.

It's a semaphore switch on the dash not the steering column.

So no Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a job for a separate signal to combined brake/signal trailer light converter box and 2 flashers, one in each sides circuit leading to the box.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Confused

*Edited

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Thanks caleb0101

One thing I forgot is the semaphore indicator. Where would that be wired?

And would your drawing result in flashing semaphores or normal operation?

I need them to operate normally (no flasing).
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Thanks caleb0101

One thing I forgot is the semaphore indicator. Where would that be wired?

And would your drawing result in flashing semaphores or normal operation?

I need them to operate normally (no flasing).

Semaphores would work like they do now and the indicator stays the same as it is now
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I acquired this 1950 standard on a 1972 pan, titled as a '72 in 1978... the state of NJ made me install functioning signals and EMERGENCY FLASHERS. I went to a NAPA store, bought that whole kit, for an old hot rod upgrade... installed snow flakes and used the front parking lights too...
I left the switch in the dash center for the semaphores and added a stalk switch on the column... was real easy to do.
Later, I bought a 1950 title and removed all that modern BS and ran just semaphores... do the same today, in 2018 with my early oval... just semaphores.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Thanks zen

The friend wants to stay stock so nothing on the steering column.

I've collected most of the parts I think I need and hope to prototype it all this weekend.

First though, I need to get a malfunctioning turnsignal sorted out in my SO44.

Did I mention how much I don't enjoy electrical problems? Wish me luck.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Wow! ... Is this so the ISS will be able to tell when the brakes are applied?

Laughing j/k ... kinda neat actually.

I suppose I shouldn't laugh... As I've actually thought about making a set of LED tubes to fit behind the 3 longest steel vent lines on either end of my ovals rear vents.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I used to do neon work, so I love this!

A good basic setup was presented already by Calab. I'd only add that each flasher may need its own load relay to make it flash and/or the the converter box function (some of those trailer boxes need to "see" bulbs on the flasher to work.)

Also, is the Bug going to be 6v or 12v? I don't know if any of the trailer converters will work on a 6v. It wouldn't be hard to hand roll a system on a solderable breadboard that would take the inputs (power, signal L, signal R, brake) and roll them into 2 relay outputs to drive the 2 neon power supplies.

You will need 2 neon power supplies as shown, the high voltage that drives a neon tube makes normal transistor or relay switching impossible on the output side There are old-school parts that could do that but they are large and use considerable switching power.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

EVfun...

Car will be 6V

Trailer flasher - I have one on my 62 beetle (also 6v) for my single wheel trailer lighting so it seems to work just fine there.

Neon power supply- yes, two power supplies so the neon can run independently. Each will take the 12v DC and con vert to 5000V AC

6V DC to 12V DC step up to power the neon PS - I'm leaning towards two of these also. I'm not sure what Amp output I'll need if I go with one versus two.

Any ideas?
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

That's one very cool idea! Applause
Pretty cool actually that the light units are arrow shaped like the split window.
It cannot get more clear than this for the person behind you.

Any picture from the rear already? What color are the tubes when not switched on?
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
That's one very cool idea! Applause
Pretty cool actually that the light units are arrow shaped like the split window.
It cannot get more clear than this for the person behind you.

Any picture from the rear already? What color are the tubes when not switched on?

They are simply clear glass (neon-filled) which lights up red when on.
I'm looking forward to the finished results. Cool
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions on this puzzler.
Final completed photos will be posted and shared. Idea
-Grant
Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I THINK we have the electrical portion of this project sorted out. I hope to do a mock up of the system in the next days.

Now, what suggestions does anyone have for attaching the neon to the car?

As you can see in the picture above, the neon is slightly smaller than the opening.

The previous installation tried using double stick tape, little plastic wiring clips, and zip ties. You can see some if it still attached to the neon tubes.

This worked for a while, but the heat and vibration caused the clips to become unstuck from the glass and it really didn't look very nice.

The neon cannot be glued directly to the glass because of the high voltage.

So what ideas are out there for holding the neon tubes? It will be another few days before the car leaves for the paint shop.

Thanks all!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Custom bent clips that look like a question mark without the dot that tuck in between the glass and rubber seal?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

if you can post up some dimensions and better pictures of the neon tubes i might be able to design something for you
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the dimensions you need might be. The neon tube is 8mm diameter.

You can see where the seal sits on the glass.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Thanks zen

The friend wants to stay stock so nothing on the steering column.

I've collected most of the parts I think I need and hope to prototype it all this weekend.

First though, I need to get a malfunctioning turnsignal sorted out in my SO44.

Did I mention how much I don't enjoy electrical problems? Wish me luck.

I know here in Tulsa there are electrical mechanic shops... they'll figure it out, to meet your desires... just might cost you... The guy in town here has a kinda' big nose and nicknamed Gonzo.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: