Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I hooked up the old electronics just to be sure the neon portion was still working. It's pretty cool!

Link

My plan is to mock up all the components together and then figure out where I want to mount everything.

The flashers I'm using have a tone when they flash so hopefully the owner will not be one of "those" split owners that drive around with the semaphore out for miles Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Quote:
so hopefully the owner will not be one of "those" split owners that drive around with the semaphore out for miles

"I've never done that!!!"

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
the owner will not be one of "those" split owners that drive around with the semaphore out for miles Laughing

does that happen to people who don't have the red 'idiot' light on the dash indicating the semaphore is still up?

that red light always freaks me out, thinking the belt came off and Im about to fry my 25hp! Definitely don't leave the turn signals on...
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

sled wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
the owner will not be one of "those" split owners that drive around with the semaphore out for miles Laughing

does that happen to people who don't have the red 'idiot' light on the dash indicating the semaphore is still up?

that red light always freaks me out, thinking the belt came off and Im about to fry my 25hp! Definitely don't leave the turn signals on...

You'd be surprised. I have driven splits for decades and am *totally* embarrassed when I realize that I have driven with a sem out in spite of the fact that that red light is on. Somehow it escapes the periphery.......

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
sled wrote:
nlorntson wrote:

You'd be surprised. I have driven splits for decades and am *totally* embarrassed when I realize that I have driven with a sem out in spite of the fact that that red light is on. Somehow it escapes the periphery.......

scary! what does that mean if your generator light is on?
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Quote:
so hopefully the owner will not be one of "those" split owners that drive around with the semaphore out for miles

"I've never done that!!!"

Well, I certainly have. Embarassed
Maybe this new setup will help w/ that. Idea Question
I'm super psyched to have it all dialed in and letting those trailing me know I'm stopping. Exclamation Cool
Thanks for the test teaser and all your efforts on this Nancy! Wink Carry on. Arrow
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

A suggestion for the warning lights in the dash -- change to LED bulbs. Those suckers are bright! They're hard to miss.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

So I've been playing around with this set up. I've got it wired up as shown

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But it doesn't work.

I can connect 6V directly to the 6V to 12V step up and the neon works on both sides.

I can add a flasher inline on the + side and then into the step up, and it flashes (albeit way too fast so I need to figure out a different flasher).

As soon as I put the 3-->2 converter between the flasher and the step up, I get nothing at the neon. I actually get nothing through the converter.

I have all the grounds connected to the - side of the power input.

I'm using a bench power supply so I can set the incoming voltage to 6V

I was expecting that power in on one side of the converter should show power out on the same wire on the other side, but nothing. I checked OhMs through the converter and also get nothing. I compared these results to one working on a friends car and they are the same so the converter is OK, I just don't have something connected properly

I have not connected both sides and the brake at the same time. Maybe I need to?

I have not tried to input + on the brake circuit

What am I missing here? How does the converter work so power goes out to a light?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something it looks like you are attempting to power a whole lotta 12v stuff with 6 v, the tail light converter will likely need 12v.
You may have to move the 6-12v converters to the wires between the semaphores and the flashers (if those are 12v flashers). The fast flash might be due to the load from the converters etc.. they are meant for 2 bulbs, you might need heavy duty flashers for use with trailers as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!

Last edited by busdaddy on Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Unless I'm missing something it looks like you are attempting to power a whole lotta 12v stuff with 6 v, the tail light converter will likely need 12v

It's all 6v to the step up which converts it to 12v for the neon power supply.

Trailer converter doesn't care if it's 6v or 12v from what I read.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
move the 6-12v converters to the wires between the semaphores and the flashers (if those are 12v flashers).
try this along with removing the flashers and testing the left, right, and brake functions with out the flashers
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

I made some progress on this project. I've got two problems to solve.

The first is the trailer converter to get my neon lights working as both brake and turns. The second is the step up and neon power supply appear to need a minimum of 4.4V input to be able to light the neon.

Upstream from that is a trailer converter that seems to need some amount of resistance from an incandescent bulb on the car side in order to work and send the flasher signal through to the trailer side (power step up).

If I connect incandescent bulbs to emulate trailer lights rather than the step up and neon power supply, I get flashing lights.

So I think what my problem is insufficient current in the right places.

From what I read there are trailer converters that work with LED lights maybe that would help?

Another idea might be to move the step up further upstream.

EDIT: I think that is what Caleb010 is suggesting so I'll try that next.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Main question: Why?

Also, why not go 12 volt?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Main question: Why?

Also, why not go 12 volt?

Why not.

Owner wants it to stay 6V.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

Is this split going to have front turn signals?

This looks like a situation where 2 relays would do the job better than a trailer converter. The relay coil would be operated by the dash semephore switch (1 left, 1 right) along with the semephores. The normally closed contacts would be connected to the brake lights. The normally open contacts would be connected to a flasher. The switching contacts would be connected to the neon transformers.

Scew 12 volts, I've never bothered to convert an old Bug and with modern electronics the reasons to do so are less than ever.

Last edited by EVfun on Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Is this split going to have front turn signals?

This looks like a situation where 2 relays would do the job better than a traier converter. The relay coil would be operated by the dash semephore switch (1 left, 1 right) along with the semephores. The normally closed contacts would be connected to the brake lights. The normally open contacts would be connected to a flasher. The switching contacts would be connected to the neon transformers.

Scew 12 volts, I've never bothered to convert an old Bug and with modern electronics the reasons to do so are less than ever.

No front turns. Just the neon turn/brake lights in the split windows
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

Scew modern electronics, I've never bothered to convert an old Bug and with 12 volts the reasons to do so are less than ever.

Fixed it. Wink To each their own.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

To each their own, but let me explain...

With the popularity of USB powered devices there is a lot of stuff that operates on just 5 volts, often at 1 amp or less. Many bluetooth devices are just 3.3 volt inside. LEDS use a lot less current than incandescent bulbs, though you may have to roll your own. There are modern electronics available, and many of them where designed to run on small, low voltage, rechargeable batteries!
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

That is true. I always like to be as close to stock as possible. (even though I have a lowered, turbocharged split). Lol. But 12 volting gives a lot of advantages and still appears stock. On vintage cars LED's have a look that doesn't look vintage. Like 17" wheels, modern sound systems, etc. But again, to each their own. I have seen a lot of modification in my day. At some point, I just jump in my 7 series and go to Vegas. With air, bluetooth, at 90 mph, etc.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle accessory brake light and flasher wiring challenge Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I made some progress on this project. I've got two problems to solve.

The first is the trailer converter to get my neon lights working as both brake and turns. The second is the step up and neon power supply appear to need a minimum of 4.4V input to be able to light the neon.

Upstream from that is a trailer converter that seems to need some amount of resistance from an incandescent bulb on the car side in order to work and send the flasher signal through to the trailer side (power step up).

If I connect incandescent bulbs to emulate trailer lights rather than the step up and neon power supply, I get flashing lights.

So I think what my problem is insufficient current in the right places.

From what I read there are trailer converters that work with LED lights maybe that would help?

Another idea might be to move the step up further upstream.

EDIT: I think that is what Caleb010 is suggesting so I'll try that next.

I'd consider adding a bulb to each circuit to provide a load, bury them somewhere in a box or under the back seat out of sight, just a thought to move this project along Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: