Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I drove the 1987 westy yesterday first time in a few months. My knee hurt. I injured my miniscus skiing a while back it rarely gives me problems except when I drive the vanagon! Something about the driving position, knee at 90 degrees rotating the foot pushing in the clutch occasionally causes intense pain I have to stop van get out straighten leg so it pops then pain is relieved. Anyone have similar problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

Not a clutch based knee priblem but one Summer my right knee hurt so bad it was all I could do to press the gas pedal!

I installed cruise control to help.
But I mostly drove with my left foot. It is amazing how quickly you can learn to operate the gas pedal with the left foot! Laughing

BTW, I have an Automatic and for that trip to Montana I was really Glad I did!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

That reminds me, similarly I think I've used my right foot on the clutch to avoid the pain.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I have the same issue w the knee popping. Really wish the seat went back a lot further than it does. Bad knee injury in the 90s left me with knee problems. Actually didnt resurface till I hit 40. Some days it sucks. Others nothing. I did notice it was worse after having my seats rebuilt. The cushions are not as flat as the original westy seats and they seem to push me further forward. Oh well. Such is life in my case. Nothings easy. An auto tranny sure might help though.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

YES..

and yes..

I even went so far as to cut & modify my camper cabinet.. mine's an ASI Riviera. so was easier to cut to allow the seat more room to move back.

maybe try putting a towel rolled up or foam wedge under your legs to change the angle you engage the pedals..
each person is unique in their physiology. so may work. may not.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I wish seat would go back further as well at least I could straighten my leg with out exiting the van. I'll think about the bolster under the leg seems like it might make it worse but worth a try
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

Hmm... Well at risk of being the guy who says this, there have been folks who could not get along with the Manual transaxle. It is possible to convert to auto.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5722768
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
...Such is life in my case. Nothings easy. An auto tranny sure might help though.

Before you switch to an auto, I can recommend Dr John Wild:

In May of 2010 my knee was so bad I was using a walker to get from the bed to the bathroom. He fixed it. He fixed it good (arthroscopy). That October I hiked the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I somehow executed a compound meniscus tear hopping into the front seat of my Vanagon last summer while tailgating at Red Rocks before a concert.

After that I had to move the seat up really close to the steering wheel to get a pain-free angle (more of a straight downward push) on the clutch.

Then I had surgery and now everything's fine. Most expensive concert ever.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I have a range of about 400 miles. My accelerator leg starts to bind up when driving down the highway. I use the cruise control when ever possible and I can straighten my leg out by stretching into the passenger floor area. That provides some relief.

Back to your problem with the clutch. Couple things come to mind. Since it is hydraulic, with some modifications to cylinder sizes, I bet you could reduce the pedal effort. That is not a simple task, but I imagine it could be done.

The other option, which would be kinda cool, would be to add a air powered piston assembly. You could have a paddle switch on the wheel to activate it for shifts. Again, not a simple change.

Do you think it is the angle or the actual effort that is causing the problem? If at some point you decide to convert to automatic, I have a 90 auto camper that over the summer I will be migrating syncro running gear to. I will probably sell the auto bits on. Can't imagine what the freight for that would be. Good luck getting it figured out.
BigNick0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I have no knee problems and have never had a knee injury. I will tell you that the only time I EVER have knee pain is when I drive the van. Usually within 5 minutes of getting in, my left knee will start to hurt whenever I push the clutch in until I stretch out my leg and "pop" my knee. After that, I can drive all day with no problem.

It's some kind of perfectly bad angle for the human knee for people with maybe certain length leg bones or something. Super weird. I thought I was the only one.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

The Vanagon clutch pedal action is different from most other clutches I've driven and I can see how it might be troublesome, being more of a "lift" issue than a "push" issue.

To get more rearward travel on my driver's seat I notched the seat rails, giving me a little more room. I also have Eurovan seats in front, which are a little taller than stock Westy seats and about the same height as non-Westy seats. If you find that a booster pillow under your thighs helps, you could add washers between the front of the seat rails and the seat base to increase the height of the front of the seat and make that boost a little more permanent.

For daily driving we actually replaced a perfectly good manual trans '05 Civic we bought new with an automatic vehicle in order to help our aging joints. The '87 Westy is still a manual but our anticipated replacement vehicle is only available in automatic.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
The '87 Westy is still a manual but our anticipated replacement vehicle is only available in automatic.

Ya, now that you mention it, my 03 EVWesty was an automatic, and it werk'd goot. 203HP Smile

For now, I'm fine with the Manny.

-bobby
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

15min with a cutoff wheel and you can get the seat to go back an extra 2". Search for my old thread
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I was in the same boat as you. My left knee was killing me by the end of the day. I was looking for solutions in a different direction. I have two ideas with regards to the clutch mechanism, one was to add a vacuum assist to the hydraulic line to make it easier to operate. The second was to design a clutch by wire system with a peddle mounted on the floor boards and an industrial servo to operate the clutch. Fortunately, a scope job on my knee cleaned thing's up enough that the pain and discomfort went away and I have back burnered the idea. I did pick up an after market vacuum assist module for old English cars that had single cylnder brake master cylnders. At this point though, if the need arises again, I think I would go down the clutch by wire path. I just can't bear the thought of driving an automatic van.

Hans
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

you can.
alter and re position the clutch pedal angle/pad

you can
lengthen the clutch pedal lever.. this will in effect reduce the effort..

we did this with mom's brake pedal to increase brake force while minimizing foot/pedal input as she has Gout flares that make it hard to bear the weight of the brakes...

ok here's that..

my post from this thread on Brake pedal lengths.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630902

danfromsyr wrote:
on the automatics we used a donor pedal from a audi we were scrapping had a larger pedal pad unlike the vanagon AT which has the same brake on both 4spd & AT configuration.
davevickery wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
On Mom's van we lengthened the Brake Pedal about 1"

this mod is nearly free. and if you source a spare brake pedal from a donor it's non-permanent and reversible. effectively making the brake pedal leverage longer and easier to apply/control

That sounds simple and effective. Dense question, you are just using another vanagon pedal? Thx

Edit to add sources links for further reference
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Brakes
http://www.piratejack.net/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

On a previous vehicle (Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60) I had some issues pressing the clutch pedal. I installed a remote brake servo unit in the hydraulic line of the clutch. That made the clutch much lighter to operate. Only downside was that it took only a few rapid clutch operation to empty the vacuum reservoir. Like when you are stuck and you rock the car shifting from 1st to reverse very quick. No issues in regular stop and go traffic.

My remote servo unit came off an old Toyota but Im sure many other cars from the 60s or 70s has this. Also available new i think for the Hot Rod crowd.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

It's weird. I have no problem with the clutch, but with my right knee hurting badly for a while now, it's the right leg that is a problem with how, in the Vanagon, I have to actually pull my leg up in order to get onto the brake pedal from the accelerator, contrary to other vehicles where only moving the foot is necessary. aside from being unsafe, it's painful.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
It's weird. I have no problem with the clutch, but with my right knee hurting badly for a while now, it's the right leg that is a problem with how, in the Vanagon, I have to actually pull my leg up in order to get onto the brake pedal from the accelerator, contrary to other vehicles where only moving the foot is necessary. aside from being unsafe, it's painful.

Funny how things like that pop up... I broke my right hip at 23, have been lifting my right leg up from gas to brake for more than 25 years. Even with doubling up on Tylenol and Advil, its still painful. AND, still too young for a hip replacement.

Maybe the thread about the 2nd row Stow&Go Chrysler/Dodge would be applicable to those with pains like this? Mine is aggravated a lot by too much side bolster, so I am keeping my stock seats for now. Ran 16.5 hours straight through - only driver, last Summer, and it was fine after a good hot bath on arrival home. My CC won't hold above 62mph, so when I'm on the the freeway, I just hold it to the floor (or close) with my heel. It will fetch me a ticket, even where posted is 80mph. But, I try not to let it get past the last green dot on the Tach. (I think that is about 84)
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon clutch pedal hurts my knee? Reply with quote

I have Eurovan seats in my van. The ones I have are pretty firm. They are not as comfortable as my Volvo 240 seats when you get in them, but I find that with the firmness and the seating position, more like a truck, less like a car, my legs hurt less overall. In a car, I start hurting pretty quickly from the neither really straight, nor really bent position. If it weren't from that darn brake pedal that's too high...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: