Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A questionable site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: A questionable site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

Identifyanything.net A place where a seller of sundry items crowd-sources the identification of his items and pays those who can positively identify them.
Current Item of interest, a pair of VW spindles: https://www.identifyanything.net/listings/3725-vw-spindles
Be wary, it isn't well designed to prevent getting ripped off.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk

Last edited by VeeDubWolf on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

So, anybody had any success with this? Curious if it has been useful.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

Is it your site? I have some feedback if it is...
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

Nope! Not affiliated at all, just was mentioned in another forum I frequent and I thought I'd cross-post here since there was at least one VW part on there at the time. However, feel free to mention your feedback/experiences here so others that run across this thread can have a better idea what to expect. I'm going to guess it's about the payout decision being solely in the hands of the person that puts up the item to be identified. I thought that was a weak point myself after I took a closer look at the site.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

it's a scam site to acquire private info from unsuspecting ppl.

doubt anyone get any money, but I bet there is some paypal scams in the works..
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
it's a scam site to acquire private info from unsuspecting ppl.

doubt anyone get any money, but I bet there is some paypal scams in the works..

It's not a scam. It is crowd sourcing research into identifying images to program artificial intelligence. Rather than trying to get a computer to try and fail at identifying images correctly they pay you pennies to do it then load that info to the computer so one day the robits can rule over us all!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
WD-40 wrote:

Nope! Not affiliated at all, just was mentioned in another forum I frequent and I thought I'd cross-post here since there was at least one VW part on there at the time. However, feel free to mention your feedback/experiences here so others that run across this thread can have a better idea what to expect. I'm going to guess it's about the payout decision being solely in the hands of the person that puts up the item to be identified. I thought that was a weak point myself after I took a closer look at the site.

No, the two points I would make are these:

1) There is no efficient way to flip through LARGE photos of all of the items without clicking into and out of each item... and no "previous/next" buttons to go from item to item. So wading through to find an item that you might actually recognize would be a chore.

2) Most items have onerous identification criteria, which basically makes a payout for an identifier next to impossible. Someone can 95% identify an item, what it fits, which years, etc... but not be able to state who the OEM manufacturer was, so no payment. This is borderline scam, as it appears that many people have basically had their items identified for "free" just by adding in one or more impossible-to-unquestionably-verify requirements, then using it/them as an excuse to reject payment for those items which have been identified. Rolling Eyes

2B) There is also no system of partial payments for "getting closer". So for example, I could tell you that an unknown item posted in the "industrial" category is actually a motorcycle shift lever, but I couldn't tell you what exact model it fits. So no partial payment, even though correctly categorizing it and labeling it as a motorcycle part could help someone else easily identify it. It's all or nothing.... and as you can see, there's a lot of nothings as a result.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
VeeDubWolf wrote:
WD-40 wrote:

No, the two points I would make are these:

1) There is no efficient way to flip through LARGE photos of all of the items without clicking into and out of each item... and no "previous/next" buttons to go from item to item. So wading through to find an item that you might actually recognize would be a chore.

2) Most items have onerous identification criteria, which basically makes a payout for an identifier next to impossible. Someone can 95% identify an item, what it fits, which years, etc... but not be able to state who the OEM manufacturer was, so no payment. This is borderline scam, as it appears that many people have basically had their items identified for "free" just by adding in one or more impossible-to-unquestionably-verify requirements, then using it/them as an excuse to reject payment for those items which have been identified. Rolling Eyes

2B) There is also no system of partial payments for "getting closer". So for example, I could tell you that an unknown item posted in the "industrial" category is actually a motorcycle shift lever, but I couldn't tell you what exact model it fits. So no partial payment, even though correctly categorizing it and labeling it as a motorcycle part could help someone else easily identify it. It's all or nothing.... and as you can see, there's a lot of nothings as a result.

Those are all very good points and sum up everything that made me reluctant to use it once I took a more thorough look at things, thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: A fun site to make a few bucks, Identifyanything.net Reply with quote

When you Look around and can’t see who the mark is....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: