Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making lowback seats
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

I have a set of seat frames (71/72) that I plan to turn into lowbacks for a thing project. (Although to be fair if this works then I will probably do it for my super beetle too). I thought I read a thread on what all is involved, but I cant find it anywhere. Anyone done this and have tips, or can point me towards the thread?

Thanks!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

Search on Youtube on making low back seats out of high back. There is a multi video series a guy did that's really comprehensive and informative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JamieLuisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

This should be it...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351816
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Search on Youtube on making low back seats out of high back. There is a multi video series a guy did that's really comprehensive and informative.

Thank you. The TMI video got taken down, I tried watching that one.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

JamieLuisi wrote:
This should be it...

Thats the one I remember, thank you.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

I was trying to see if most people went without a rear cross brace or if they built one.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
iadubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

It's simple. Remove upholstery and cut the head rest off. I welded a cross bar in and re-upholstered with 67 style covers and new horse hair pads.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

JamieLuisi wrote:
This should be it...

Wow, only ONE person in that whole thread did it right...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
JamieLuisi wrote:
This should be it...

By that you mean adding the crossbar?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

iadubber wrote:
It's simple. Remove upholstery and cut the head rest off. I welded a cross bar in and re-upholstered with 67 style covers and new horse hair pads.

Good to know. I see TMI now has "low back conversion" seat covers, so I wanted to compare the prices on that vs just buying '67 seat covers. People like to add premiums to things when they give them fancy titles, you know.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

Yes. Everyone else taking shortcuts endangering their lives. I love the one guy on there saying that thin ass crossbar meant to hold the springs in place would keep the seat from folding.
If I ever was in the market for a highback model year and saw they had converted to lowback, they either provide proof that those are original VW seats or the job was done right, or I'm moving on

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

low back seats, are whiplash seats, ask me how I know, oh never mind, I dont want to relive the trauma.

at very least if you instal whiplash seats, get your brake lights in top shape, LED for quicker on time, super bright, clean lenses, and ideally a high mount auxiliary light put it in the rear window, or tuck it up in the engine inlet vent. Consider a pedal mechanical brake light switch retrofit over the slow acting stock pressure switch.

Been rear ended three times when stopped at red lights, twice with low backs, once with high back, all were high speed expressway collisions, only one collision did NOT result in whiplash, and it was the highest impact collision, The high back seat made the difference between no spine injury and years of recovery as happened in prior collision. Whiplash is no joke, it can be life changing for years.

Now upgrade your brake lights and switch! You want fast acting, super bright at slightest depression of brake pedal lights with an auxiliary one or two lights up high.

I added two red lights in my rear window, each lower corner, some round trailer lights, nice and bright with fat wire off relays. they also function as turn signals. The Bugs antiquated brake lights need upgrades to be safe in todays distracted driving, crowded world more so than ever.

Stay safe, Bug On, with a stiff neck!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Yes. Everyone else taking shortcuts endangering their lives. I love the one guy on there saying that thin ass crossbar meant to hold the springs in place would keep the seat from folding.
If I ever was in the market for a highback model year and saw they had converted to lowback, they either provide proof that those are original VW seats or the job was done right, or I'm moving on

I'm with you. I just feel like with out it, its not quite as stable as it should be. I'll add the brace. Thanks everyone for the info. Ill take pics as I go along.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Making lowback seats Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
JamieLuisi wrote:
This should be it...

If the image of the stock '67 seat posted in the thread is correct then VW didn't include a top brace on the '67 style seat either. I see that both the high back and the image of a '67 low back show a virtually identical center brace that ties into the frame sides and holds the spring assembly in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: