Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked oil filter cap
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

I've been struggling to locate an oil leak on our AXK for a while now. It appeared to be coming from the oil filter seal, so I figured I'd just wait until the next oil change to replace the O-ring and be done with it...but that didn't fix the problem, and now I know why. The plastic filter cap has a hairline crack in it that only seems to leak when the engine oil is under pressure, which would explain why the entire underside of the van is "rust-proofed" and the rear hatch has oil splotches all over.

In my quest to replace all things plastic on the engine with metal, I bit the bullet and just bought this billet aluminum cap. The price is a little cringy, but I just want peace of mind. I'll update when it arrives and gets installed.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/billet-alumi...cs01-01~a/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

Looks like a good update. I see plastic ones all the time where people have used channel locks or pipe wrenches on them. I think this is $ well spent.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

Ok, it took a week, but I finally got my billet oil filter cap. It's a high quality piece, so no worries there. It didn't come with instructions in the box, so take heed of the link I'm posting and don't forget to swap over the filter attachment:

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da33...lation.pdf

y u rune klassik?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

Just make sure that you antiseize the ever-lovin snot out of it, especially if it sees any sort of winter driving. There's a REEAALLY good reason why the were plastic from the factory.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

I don't think that will be an issue out here in the PNW, but could be a concern in the rustbelt. It appears to have a quality anodized finish if that helps.

y u rune klassik?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked oil filter cap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Ok, it took a week, but I finally got my billet oil filter cap. It's a high quality piece, so no worries there. It didn't come with instructions in the box, so take heed of the link I'm posting and don't forget to swap over the filter attachment:

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da33...lation.pdf

Just ordered the same from ECS, and a 36mm 6-pt 3/8" drive socket from ECS. Thanks for the PDF.

Gruvenparts has a super-duper cap for $160. Looks nice if one chooses to spend for it. https://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/

Got the info from here http://whatavan.com/basic/oil_change.htm which was a good guide for my first DIY oil change.

I had a local German shop do the first, called them for this one, they said we don't do VW's anymore call this shop. Called that shop, they "won't touch Eurovan Campers." VW dealer 40 miles away would do it, no, decided I'd get messy and do it right.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: