Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips? Reply with quote

Hi all.

edit: car has manual transmission. .... and its still currently insured so was presumably driven until recently. end edit.

I'm familiar with the ABA engine. This $500 CND '01 likely has the AEG. It has very new tires. Owner suspects timing belt broke.

I'll ask "how, when" belt broke. (at speed? at idle?) and ask for work receipts but any other relevant questions I should ask?

Will remove the timing belt upper cover, see if belt is loose but other relevant tips regarding checking engine condition are most welcome.

These are obviously interference engines so I'll be assuming the worst.

If the engine is toast, the game plan would be to swap in a used AEG.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips? Reply with quote

Seems a bit high for a gamble but if the belt broke then it bent valves. I have never seen one do more than bend valves. Make sure that the cam didn't seize & cause the belt to break/strip teeth. It's just as good of an engine as the ABA without the intermediate shaft/distributor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips? Reply with quote

Thanks TDCTDI

Ya, the timing belt is loose. Owner said she was in a line up at starbucks when it died so maybe it failed at idle. I've read various opinions and experiences of 2.0 belt failure at highway speeds vs idle (pistons interfered, didn't interfere) but from what you say it sounds like one should expect valve damage at very least. She said the idle was high before that and it was "sputtering" before engine stopped running. She also pointed to cam and mentioned "stuck" but not sure what she meant.

Rear brake rotors are toast, e-brake non functional. I'd assume all the rear brake parts need to be replaced.

Price is in CND dollars but I agree; too high. And she's firm on price.

Oh ya. Engine oil dipstick plastic tube is missing so metal tube is open to dirt/water etc. At very least, I assume water got in the engine. Car is otherwise nice and plebeian (manual windows) which I prefer.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips? Reply with quote

The only real concern with the broken dipstick funnel is that the PO really had no idea how much oil was in the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: May buy 01 Jetta w/possible broken timing belt. Inspection Tips? Reply with quote

Ha! Indeed. Overfilling, under filling the oil; the worst of "two evils". Besides. I guess not a whole of dirt would jump into the engine through the partially open dipstick tube.

Ya, the dipstick was held in place with electrical tape or something weird.

Hinky. Or, cheap.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: