Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loser, winner ....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

I went to the Wolfgang International Show & Shine today, but didn’t win a trophy Crying or Very sad . However, I spent five bucks on raffle tickets and won a $100.00 gift certificate at Wolfgang’s.

The problem is, I don’t really need anything now ....

Lots of bugs, buses, Things, Karmann Ghias, and the weather was in the 70’s.

Tim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

you will need it at some point. glad you had a good time.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Hey Congratulations Jerry! [Oops, I mean Tim. Your secret is safe with me Wink]

Great pictures. Whats with that shorty?! Lol gotta love those. And the W bus.

The season is open. "All thats left to do is smile, smile, smile..."
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Buggee, who’s Jerry? No secrets here. My name really is Tim Donahoe.

The 23-window bus belongs to one of the guys who works for Wolfgang International, so he has a custom “W” sign on the front, instead of the VW sign. Wolfgang manufactures all the side safari windows for buses, I guess.

The shorty was made by a guy who has two of them. He cuts the middles out and puts the car back together, using metal and 3/16 inch metal reinforcement. No fiberglass. Lots of welding and sanding, he said.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

The last photo of the blue 1961 was used in the recent VW Woodstock commercial, where the bus is pushed by the concert goers, then the blue Bug is exposed.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Jerry Garcia is my guess.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Nice double-take Tim! If I end up going out to CA to check out that other Super, I'll have to make a side-trip to Redding to have a beer (or two) with you, and to Wolfgang International. Out here in the mid-Atlantic, I feel like a character in an apocalyptic movie where you hear of places on the short-wave radio, then at the end, I take a trip to the west coast and see that they're real! Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

That white '69 (ish) beetle for $3K has $600 worth of pedrinis on it!

Your car presents very well Tim. The Wolfgang bus is more as a "look what we can do" design study- those safaris down each side are custom- but the sell the front and rears.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Jerry Garcia is my guess.

The one and only! Alive and well as far as I can tell now. And what a relief! I always knew it. Felt it in my heart.

OMG Tim I really dig your look and mean the jest with all goodness and love intended. Never travelled the circuit in a bus but deadhead nonetheless and caught the shows I could in town. Where are those tapes now, I bet in a box in the basement somewhere. Buddy of mine knew some of the tapers and we'd save the shows too. Seemed like last week to me when I saw your relaxed countenance and kind eyes.

Don't tell the missus and minions ok fellas? Past life for sure. Now my job is to play The Man.

Bug on.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

I went on a tour of their shop. They make the front safari windows, too—and possibly the rears (I didn’t look to see, actually). Their bus may be an advertisement, but I’d love to have it!

Victor, are you still interested in that Chico Bug? You didn’t get back with me on it. Let me know.

And that’s Gerry Garcia—not Jerry. All Deadheads know that Rolling Eyes .

I loaded the first picture twice somehow, but the guy looked so cool, I didn’t think the doppelgänger was too scary ....

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

And that’s Gerry Garcia—not Jerry. All Deadheads know that Rolling Eyes .

I loaded the first picture twice somehow, but the guy looked so cool, I didn’t think the doppelgänger was too scary ....

Tim

He's a Jerome Tim, not a Gerald. Very Happy And doppelgänger is right!

I threw a vw gas cap in the pic so as to comply with the "rules". You, er I mean "he" is listed as guitar and vocals on the right side there.

I do appreciate the googly eyes though, it's been a while since someone has given me the googly eyes. Lol.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

As long as we're just bantering about here, shaking off the unfairness of it all and growing to forgive the bias of the judges against curvy window fat chicks, how do those window coolers work anyway? Is there water evaporating in there or something?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Buggeee, that cooler is a Thermodor. You put water in it, and when you’re moving along on the road, the air enters the front of the unit, makes contact with the water, evaporates some of it (which, not only makes the air more moist, but this evaporation process also makes the air cooler than mere water. For instance, when you get out of a swimming pool, the water begins to evaporate off your body, and you feel a chill because the evaporating process is much cooler than the water in the pool).

And thanks for the correction about Jerry. For years I’ve thought it was Gerry. Either way you spell it, your joke went right over my head, and I thought you had me mixed up with another Samba member. Wink

In California, long hair on men seems to be more prevalent than what you’ll see back east. Long hair on retirees (like me) is even more common. It’s a cultural thing, I guess. Like I told a nun in 1967 while I was laying in bed in a hospital in Gallup, New Mexico (due to a car accident in a friend’s VW)—I said if long hair was good enough for Jesus, it was good enough for me. She replied that Jesus as a Jew, and long hair was a Jewish custom. Go figure. There’s no arguing with a nun ....

My brother was a Dead fan (as well as The Mothers of Invention; The Fugs, etc.), but I was more into Crosby, Stills, and Nash; Simon and Garfunkel; Jackson Brown; the Eagles; Dylan; Arlo Guthrie; Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot to mention this: out of all the bugs present at the show, my Sun Bug was the only round windscreen present. And there were a lot of bugs there today.

And the judges aren’t prejudice against Round-screen Supers. The judges are the people who come to show their bugs, and the lookyloos. Three years ago, at this same show, I won the best stock (The Way It Was) award. So, the crowd wasn’t down on Supers. Either that, or I had many more VW friends than I was aware of Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Buggeee, that cooler is a Thermodor. You put water in it, and when you’re moving along on the road, the air enters the front of the unit, makes contact with the water, evaporates some of it (which, not only makes the air more moist, but this evaporation process also makes the air cooler than mere water. For instance, when you get out of a swimming pool, the water begins to evaporate off your body, and you feel a chill because the evaporating process is much cooler than the water in the pool).

Thank you. Sounds like a swamp cooler for off grid camping. I've already learned my new thing for the day an only one coffee into it so far.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Crosby, Stills, and Nash; Simon and Garfunkel; Jackson Brown; the Eagles; Dylan; Arlo Guthrie; Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc.

Great stuff. I came at the Dead through the classic rock road and The Band marks the far side of the carnival for me. MoI and Fugs might be a bit challenging for my frayed nerves. Lol.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Nice double-take Tim! If I end up going out to CA to check out that other Super, I'll have to make a side-trip to Redding to have a beer (or two) with you, and to Wolfgang International. Out here in the mid-Atlantic, I feel like a character in an apocalyptic movie where you hear of places on the short-wave radio, then at the end, I take a trip to the west coast and see that they're real! Very Happy

Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

I can't remember the last time I won an award for showing a vehicle. Between popular vote, and the politics sometimes involved with judging, it's more of a pain in the ass to deal with. I already have gained the respect from those that matter. I go to see fellow enthusiasts I don't get to see that often. After 29 years in the hobby, the bar has been raised pretty high for workmanship on a vehicle for it to draw my attention at a show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Hey Tim - oh yeah i'm interested alright. I pm'd you, not sure why my reply earlier didn't get to you.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I can't remember the last time I won an award for showing a vehicle.

I'm going for best authentic patina with factory paint next time !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Loser, winner .... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
I can't remember the last time I won an award for showing a vehicle.

I'm going for best authentic patina with factory paint next time !!!

Exactly!

I guess you could say I've become more of a "participation" proponent. If it's mechanically safe to make it to the show, DRIVE IT. It doesn't have to make the great 8 for the Riddler. I have my fair share of unfinished projects, but driving what you have running is one up on those with stuff on jack stands in the garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: