Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Install Intermittent Wipers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: How to Install Intermittent Wipers Reply with quote

I've long hated bumping the wiper switch in misty weather every few seconds, so I set about doing something about it. For starters, I found this:

https://store.qkits.com/automotive/wind-shield-wiper-timer-module-mxa041.html

The wiring instructions are ambiguous at best, so I'll show you how I wired it to get it to work with a late bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that the green wire coming from the switch DOES NOT have a black stripe on it. I put on there so you could see where the wires go.

Sorry about my shoddy drawing and spelling skills, I threw it together in a hurry.

Some things to note about this module:

-It clicks when it operates not unlike a flasher relay

-When mounted in the dash the only thing holding it on are 4 solder joints; there are 4 holes in the side of the pcb which should be used to mount it via a bracket (which is what I did)

-It's an open pcb so an enclosure might be good to protect it from solder bloom and shorts.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Intermittent Wipers Reply with quote

Easy way is to install the Champange brown wiper switch and wiring harness to the wiper motor and the relay. Bam, done the VW way and it works great
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Intermittent Wipers Reply with quote

Yeah, but where ya gonna find a Champagne intermittent wiper switch?

Also, you may have to modify your plastic housing around the steering wheel to allow the switch to move into intermittent position.

My SC, with the Z01 foul weather package, had this stock. I did have to source an intermittent module, and found this:
http://www.busdepot.com/111955531

It is not, however, programmable like the original was.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Intermittent Wipers Reply with quote

$115! I'll stick with my $10 module. It works great and was easy to install once I figured out how to wire it.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Intermittent Wipers Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Yeah, but where ya gonna find a Champagne intermittent wiper switch?

Also, you may have to modify your plastic housing around the steering wheel to allow the switch to move into intermittent position.

My SC, with the Z01 foul weather package, had this stock. I did have to source an intermittent module, and found this:
http://www.busdepot.com/111955531

It is not, however, programmable like the original was.

I got mine from Ken at thebusco
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: