Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Request for tach hookup clarification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
“A picture is worth a thousand words”.....

Is this diagram correct for wiring the tach with a diode, the “doubler”, an IC voltage regulator, and a capacitor?

If not, what corrections are needed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The schematic for the chip shows a capacitor on both the input and output to ground. So, I not sure. The site you link will work but this looks like a better deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Projects-10uF-50V-105c-...xypNtSlP60
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Second capacitor added to the diagram.

Whats the best way to connect the positive leads of the capacitors to the wires which continue on to the regulator and the doubler?

Also, in order to avoid drilling additional holes in the chassis for ground connections, can I use the same existing hole to connect all 4 ground leads?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats the best way to connect the positive leads of the capacitors to the wires which continue on to the regulator and the doubler?

Also, in order to avoid drilling additional holes in the chassis for ground connections, can I use the same existing hole to connect all 4 ground leads?

Put the capacitor leads with one of the wire ends into the butt connection and crimp.

Not sure of your year Ghia but my '72 has this ground array on the driver side hood spring support 'thing'. Maybe you have some open spots.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Thanks, it’s a 1964 and has only one factory hole on the driver’s side hood spring bracket (or whatever its called). Like I said, I really don’t want to drill more holes...will stacking the 4 ground connections at this location suffice?

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Quote:
will stacking the 4 ground connections at this location suffice?

Yes. Not sure if that's a screw or a bolt with a nut. If it is you can put connections on both sides. You can also put some under that nut holding the flasher too.

Yellow crimps can hold two wires. Some on here swear by those thin brass crimp connectors that were OG. I think Thomas&Bates crimp connectors are by far better electrically than that. They are usually not sold in the LAPS though.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
will stacking the 4 ground connections at this location suffice?

Yes. Not sure if that's a screw or a bolt with a nut. If it is you can put connections on both sides. You can also put some under that nut holding the flasher too.

Thanks, pictured is a M5 x 0.8mm thread 16mm long pan head machine screw with a flat washer under the head and an external tooth lock washer between the ring connector and the chassis. On the back there’s a split lock washer and nut. So if I size up to a 25mm length screw, it should easily accommodate the 4 stacked connections or 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the bracket.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

This morning I fabbed a harness to add the inline voltage regulator and the two capacitors, and connected everything as per my previously attached diagram (the one with the two capacitors).

Although I was very hopeful this would resolve the previous issue of the tach reading too high....Now the tach needle doesn’t move at all Crying or Very sad

With a multimeter and the engine running...

6.21 v at terminal 15 on the back of the ignition switch leading to the VR through the capacitor

0.0 v at the + inbound post on the doubler

0.0 v at the + outbound post on the doubler

0.0 v at the + post on the back of the tach

I know the doubler and the tach were functioning before I wired in the VR and capacitors, so it would appear that this new issue has something to do with the VR and/or capacitors. I’m wondering if the problem is being caused by the way I connected the 3 wires to VR. Since its lead are so close together, crimping isn’t a viable option. So, I used narrow shrink tube to join each of the VR’s three leads to their respective wires, followed by a larger diameter shrink tube encasing the VR and the wire connections. I gave the wires several good tugs, and nothing budged.

Since it looks like I’ll have to dismantle the whole thing and start from scratch, what is the best way to connect the 3 wires to the VR leads? There is only about 1 mm space between the leads, and they’re very rigid. I didn’t want to risk breaking them by attempting to bend them to separate them further.

Last edited by FL-Frank on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

I just disconnected my VR and capacitor harness, reconnected the tach as I originally had it, and the tach reads again. Too high, but at least its not dead.

Multimeter readings at idle are now....

6.21 v at terminal 15 on back of ign switch

6.21 v into doubler

12.13 v at + terminal on back of tach

Now what?
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

I also read the voltage this morning with lights off and on. Although the voltage at the ignition switch dropped to 5.5 v with the headlamps turned on, the doubler was still delivering 12.13 v to the tach with lights on.

On Friday afternoon, I called and updated the folks at NHS on the situation, and they volunteered to send me a tested and known to read accurate 6 v tach that I can install without the doubler. The thought is with both tachs connected simultaneously, if the second or “control” tach reads accurately, then we’ll know something is amiss with the 12 v tach in the dash. If the control tach also reads high, then the problem lies elsewhere...possibly the Pertronix ignition. If it gets to that point, I’ll probably have to swap in a set of conventional points to see if that corrects the high reading issue.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Thanks, it’s a 1964 and has only one factory hole on the driver’s side hood spring bracket (or whatever its called). Like I said, I really don’t want to drill more holes...will stacking the 4 ground connections at this location suffice?

First, you can ground a million things to that screw. Lets turn it into a ground "lug". Take out the Philips head screw and turn it around so the threads face forward. Put the serrated lock washer and nut on without any wires connected. Now stack all you ground wires on the nut and put anther nut on the treads. You have just created a ground lug and you don't have to fumble with the Philips head anymore. Keep stacking the grounds between the two nuts on the threaded lug. If that screw is not long enough, replace it with a longer screw or bolt. It the hole is threaded, drill it out so you can slip the bolt thru and put a nut on it.

Take the tach to the motor compartment and hook it up with a new clean wires. Colors don't matter. Get three piece 24" long. Hook the + on the tach to the + on the coil. Hook the signal wire up to the - on the coil and hook the ground up to the neg side of the battery if it is in the motor compartment or to a good ground like the generator stand. Start the car, does it read correctly? How about hooking the tach up in a 12v car the same way to see if truly is correct "in the field" not on the bench.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

The “control” tach from NHS arrived today...they actually sent two, one 6 v to be connected without the doubler, and one 12 v to be connected with the doubler.

I first hooked up the 6 v control tach, and had it in my lap so I could watch it and the original dash mounted tach while I test drove. The control tach worked perfectly....accurate readings throughout the rpm range regardless if lights were switched on or off. The dash mounted tach still read way high and dropped down when lights were turned on.

Next I hooked up the 12 v control tach through the doubler and test drove again. It worked perfectly...accurate readings throughout the rpm range regardless if lights were on or off.

I called NHS with the results, and their conclusion is

There is nothing wrong with my cars wiring

The doubler appears to be working correctly

The original tach they sent me is faulty

So, I’ll send the original one back to them along with the 12 v control tach so they can swap the movement from the control tach to the original tach.

I really hope this is the final resolution to the problem, even though I’m getting pretty good at removing and installing tachs Very Happy
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

The latest edition of the tach from NHS arrived today. 5 minutes to install it and connect the wires....and...finally...it works correctly!

This project certainly tested my patience, but it was worth it in the end!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Congrats, that was quite a battle. Now not only can your hear it vroom vroom, you can watch it vroom vroom.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Applause
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Update....

A couple of weeks ago, the tach mysteriously stopped working. After checking all connections, I reported the problem to NHS and they asked me to send it back to them for diagnosis. The following week they contacted me to say the board was toast, and that they were sending me a replacement tach.

The replacement arrived and When I installed it, same issues as I originally had with inaccurate readings. NHS worked with me on the phone to try to adjust the tach to read correctly, however, we could only get it fairly close and the needle fluttered quite a bit.

Meanwhile, I saw a link to Pertronix Tech Support Bulletin on another post that recommends using an inline resistor rather than the inline diode.

http://support.pertronix.com/kb/faq.php?id=34

I replaced the diode with the resistor today, and voila! The tach now reads accurately at idle and up and down the rpm range. The needle no longer flutters, and the sweep is silky smooth.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

This post has been very helpful but I have a NHS specific question. I haven't heard back from them yet so I thought I'd throw it out here.

My tach has three tabs - labeled green, black and red. And I know I need power, coil and ground.

Am I right in thinking:

green - coil
black - power
red - ground

I see online that it looks like different companies use different color coding.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with NHS color coding. Still bugging them as well...
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Red is positive or hot
Black is ground
Green is negative side of the coil

Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Thanks. Sure wish I understood why red is power sometimes and black is power sometimes and maybe they could have used brown for ground...?

But thanks. Exactly what I needed.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for tach hookup clarification Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Thanks. Sure wish I understood why red is power sometimes and black is power sometimes and maybe they could have used brown for ground...?

But thanks. Exactly what I needed.

VW used red for constant hots like horns, dome lights and clocks and black for switched hots like the coil.VW used brown for earth or grounds.

You can wire your tach up with a black to the Pos(+) from the ignition switch, a brown to the ground and a green to the negative side of the coil.

VW used grey with a red stripe for the dash light.

Today's standard for tachs is red is hot, black ground, green coil and white for the lights. That is pretty much it for all gauges. The sender wire is your color choice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: