Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African 1969.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

The nose looks good!

Nice bus. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Not much has changed since I got on the road. Have done quite a few local trips and it has proved reliable. The 2007cc doesn't struggle with the hills on dartmoor where I live. I have now found a correct long stem mirror.
I like the micro bus interior but am tempted to convert to a camper if i find a decent correct period interior I will consider it.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Funny, I drove with an extension for years ( like 20) and it never felt right with my height ( 6'6"), one day I took it off and the throw feel was much better. Put that part on the samba and sold it in like 5 minutes!

That Bus looks great.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

I love mine!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Nice extension!

Cheers. I found it on Facebook of all places. A woman had kept it as a souvenir from a bus she had in the 90s. I believe they are quite common here in the UK.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Nice extension!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Better late than never to update the thread. She is now on the road running a type1 2017 motor and 6 rib gearbox. Also fitted the middle seat, mph trip speedo,clock and radio with vw logo knobs.
I had a local vw garage do most of the work and am very happy with it.
To be able to fit in the garage it has had ww drop spindles and 1 spine at the back.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

I would love to keep it stock hight but it's hard to get it in and out of the garage. I have some ww spindles and will lower the rear by 1 outer spline. The spindles are drum brake so I can put the correct wheels on.they have some old but unused hankooks on. Will inspect them for condition. I also have a heavy duty anti roll bar that will go on. All the parts are from my failed panel van project. While rummaging in the garage is found a set ofcommercial hubcaps in original paint I know they are not correct for this bus but I will use them anyway.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Quick update.
I have found the correct hardware to fit the middle seat missing the base plates but I will use the ww ones the bolts and clamps are vw and that was my main concern as I saw on this forum the repro clamps are weak. Welding up the rear lights has started, one Side was just the hole the other needed battery tray and lower corner.

I noticed the part the engine support bar attaches to has been cut off so I need to source these.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Seat arrived today. Rhd in reasonable condition and a good price.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Started cleaning the rubber floor mats. The cab one was a lucky ebay purchase, not easy to find in this condition rhd. The rear one is in remarkably good shape for 48 years old it has glue on it so I guess it was covered with carpet for much of its life.
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

I can't weld so I am using a mboiled welder. I hope he does a nice job. I have both battery trays and some off the shelf repair panels so plenty for him to choose from. Good or bad I will post pics for members scrutiny!
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

Spent a couple hours with the bus removing the last of the water pipes that were fitted today. SA busses have no m-plate and it appears that they used their own paints.it is a 244 model and has a paint code of 140.
It has a clock and kph trip speedo it is missing the reset button but I have a super clean mph trip speedo and clock that will go in it.
It has strange little reflectors on the front that I think are specific to the market but these will be removed in time and I wonder if the rear lights were the same reason?
I can see just enough of the original lights hole when I remove the big ones so when new metal is let in they will be easy to put in the correct spot. I have been collected parts for some time and have nos rear lenses and front indicator lenses.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

What a nice catch! Aside from the bits of bodywork looks nice and clean.

I'm actually not hating the rear lights. It almost has the feel of what would be a one year factory mod, if it were closer to a '72/'73. The reflectors on those late rear lenses seem unique compared to Euro/US spec. Think I'm tempted to snatch them from ya if ya don't keep them.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: South African 1969. Reply with quote

dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: South African 1969. Reply with quote

My new rhd bay. It had a water cooled conversion in south Africa but that has now been removed it also had late bay brakes, wheels and rear lights that will be returned to stock.
Came with bumper trim but best of all is the automatic deploy step. It is missing the middle seat but I think I have scored a three seater correct for a rhd. I have an m501 kit and might fit that too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: