Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So few VWs on Oahu & Maui!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Three days of driving/touring Oahu, and aside from a Bug in a souvenir shop on the north shore, and two Vanagons this was the closest I came to seeing a VW on Oahu!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri May 04, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

Import them to Oahu.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

I sold my '51 split window ragtop to a guy on Lanii..
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

I wonder what happened to them all? I have been watching the original Hawaii 5-0 TV series recently and couldn't believe all the VWs in the back ground. I usually end up looking at the cars in the back ground and miss the plot of the show. I imagine they all rusted from the salt air and were sold to Asia as scap metal?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
I wonder what happened to them all? I have been watching the original Hawaii 5-0 TV series recently and couldn't believe all the VWs in the back ground. I usually end up looking at the cars in the back ground and miss the plot of the show. I imagine they all rusted from the salt air and were sold to Asia as scap metal?

Constant marination in salt brine takes its toll on anything ferrous.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

I cringe when I think of the splitties crushed & buried @ the Makawao dump :^(
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

So here is the rest of what I saw...

The first was in the Polynesian Cultural Center on the north side of Oahu. In the gift shop was a Bug:

There was a Vanagan or two, but zero Bays, Splits, Bugs... ANY air cooled Types 1/2/3/4.

On Maui, it wasn't much better. There was one parked in front of a hot dog place, as an advertisement:

Vanagons, maybe three, including this one parked in Lahaina:

A couple of sightings of non-working VWs... the first in Lahaina:

The second was on the road to Hana; not sure if this one ran or was just parked to get attention and hold a sign:

I expected to see more... maybe salt, maybe high cost of parts and cars...
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

I'm so old I can remember that the white wheels on that Baja could be bought in a Baja Bug kit.
It came with a 7 piece Baja kit, front and rear wheels and tires.
I just can't remember the Vendor Selling the kit.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Last time i was in Waikiki there was a nice vw thing, surf style, on display
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

There are pretty much no buses in Hawaii, some souped up bugs and few ghias are there but mostly kept garaged and taken out once a month kind of thing so you don't see them. Hawaii has to be one of the worlds most extreme environments for corrosion, most VW's died long ago.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Constant marination in salt brine takes its toll on anything ferrous.

Ding ding ding
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

they are out there, but in Garages and used for cruising and shows only.

you are going to find that west coast mainland is the only place you see people drive old cars all the time, especially VW's. I've never seen that anywhere else in the US
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Well, doesn't this L.A. Times ad just add salt to the wound...
Evil or Very Mad

maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

You only going see mine one wen I go work or come home from work (Waikapu to Kula). A white 67 with centerlines I had for 42 years and get rust but not much. I wen paint and undercoat mine two times and hope for the best.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Too bad I missed ya! I guess I'll have to come back soon!
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Yea dakine. I at Kapoho Hawaii for to go help the ohana with the volcano and I wen go to the races in Hilo and I thought it going have plenty bugs. Races start at 8am but the 1st and only bug came at 12 pm so I went home cuz wuz boring.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

I think there will be less in Hawaii soon, as it looks like the volcanoes might decimate the entire state !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

Whatever news you heard that from is wrong. It only on one small corner of the island and its pouring into the ocean affecting only that area. Could be less than 5% of the island. Very sorry for the homes that were taken.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

maui wrote:
Whatever news you heard that from is wrong. It only on one small corner of the island and its pouring into the ocean affecting only that area. Could be less than 5% of the island. Very sorry for the homes that were taken.

I'm still waiting for California to drop into the ocean, so I'll be closer to the beach !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: So few VWs on Oahu & Maui! Reply with quote

While stationed on Oahu many moons ago I was constantly doing corrosion control on my Bug. Wire brushing and painting parts, Anti seizing hardware and washing. It was an uphill battle for sure.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: