Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: 36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice Reply with quote

What are your experiencies about the wood sticks inside the pushrod tubes?
Remove them or working well if they have good flow?
Risks of wood blocking oil flow?

Last edited by Axel Andersson on Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods Reply with quote

Is there really wood inside of these one-piece pushrod/lifters? If so that would discourage me from spraying cleaner down them like I do my 40hp pushrods!

When I freshened up my 36hp and added a new top end I deliberately steered clear of cleaning the pushrods for this reason.

With the vw engines, oil obviously flows from the cam end out to the rocker end through the pushrods to lube the rockers, so it's hard to imagine there being wood inside. Still, that is what I've heard elsewhere about the wood being in them. It just seems like it would swell up and block the flow as you mentioned.
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods Reply with quote

Anyone here have experiencies and suggestions on this?
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods Reply with quote

The wood is usually disintegrated in the 36hp engines I've taken apart... I think it's original intent was to dampen the high frequency vibrations.
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
The wood is usually disintegrated in the 36hp engines I've taken apart... I think it's original intent was to dampen the high frequency vibrations.

I have taken two engines apart recently, and on those the wood is intact.
Would it be wise to run without them? Experiencies?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice Reply with quote

my 200K 36 HP engine still had the wood in them as have all the original PR's I've seen.
Even when a built my stroker engine I used PR's with the wood still intact.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
my 200K 36 HP engine still had the wood in them as have all the original PR's I've seen.
Even when a built my stroker engine I used PR's with the wood still intact.

I second the OPs question regarding the wood swelling - would spraying carb/brake cleaner in the pushrods be a bad idea? This is a step I normally take when rebuilding any engine, but maybe not on the 36hp if its a problem.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice Reply with quote

I find the wood sticks in about half the lifters that go to get reground. I pull them out and leave them out because most are so gunked up. I would imagine the oil flow is better as well. All new lifter sets come without......
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp Pushrods - Wood sticks - Advice Reply with quote

Not sure if the wood chop sticks act to dampen vibration or act as an oil pump. They slide back and forth and push oil to the top ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: