Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts Pile Buggy Build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello: I have been reading and enjoying the many build projects here on the Samba for some time.

Thank You

I just started a buggy restoration/build project and decided to join in. We will be building from a large pile of parts collected over 25 years. I needed a better motor for another Bug and after a review of parts I found six complete motors so I bought a leak down tester [I always wanted one] took out my compression gauge and started testing theml. Got them all turning over and after a some testing determined that two were junk. two could run but were weak. and two passed compression and leak down. After a carb rebuild and tune up stuff, valves adjusted push-rod tubes fixed there were two keepers. I put one in my other bug and decided to pull this old buggy project out and use the other good motor in it. I went through years of parts collected and started building. Shortened a pan and threw this California Clipper body on it. Here's a picture of the body on the pan with some VW wheels welded to some 15 X 7 shells. It's starting to look good.

Merk
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Merk on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Here's a look at the "parts pile" Most of this stuff has suffered Wisconsin winters and is rusted into junk. I did find a usable beam and torsion housing.

Last edited by Merk on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hound Dog Helped find the good stuff.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Merk, Is that a Red Bone? On my aunt's farm outside the Rapids, we had a B&T and a Red Bone - good ole' dogs.

You got a motor, wheels and a body, that's a good start. Press on before it gets cold again.

Jim
Manx #2614
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello: Yes a 7 year old red Bone. She was a free puppy from the farm down the road and we had no idea what what we were in for. You may notice she needs 2 different harnesses and a cable around her neck with the other end attached to at least 1/2 a VW. This dog is a runner! In her defense she is really cute.

Merk
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Dug out more parts from deep in the barn.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

The stock transmission mounts were broke so lets start there.

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Added side rails. Fabricated to match the body and then squared up leveled and clamped in place.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello: After finishing the first transmission mount my cutting torch quite and I had get a new one and then the drill press broke and I had to repair it. Back to the work. I forgot to take pictures. Well there was another paper pattern and another cut out steel plate and some drilling. Sawed a couple tabs out of some steel. Everything ground and cleaned and here's a picture of the nose cone mount and the mid mount installed.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

You might enjoy my drill press repair. Yes that is a VW pulley welded directly to the main drive shaft !
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello:
Before moving on from the transmission mounts I noticed this crack [?] in the bell housing area just ahead of the main mount and on the lower side. This doesn't extend through to the ring gear but is certainly visible from the out side. It could be a crack or a cut? Any ideas? Comments?
Thanks
Merk

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Looks awfully straight for a crack. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

I cleaned it up and it looks like damage from a tool or a stand or a jack, maybe one of those old two post hoists, the kind with a post front and rear. There appears to be some hammer marks along the damage area. Not sure if this transmission will be used or not. Not worried just curious.

SBD Did I see you have an interest in guitars? Me too.

Merk
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Merk wrote:

Merk

I have an interest but I don't pick mine up near as often as I used to. Sad Can't play 1/4 as well as I used to be able to. But I still drool over new guitars all of the time. Very Happy Would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need another one though. I have 4 now (had them all before I met my wife in 1987) and I think that's the limit. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Merk wrote:

Merk

I have an interest but I don't pick mine up near as often as I used to. Sad Can't play 1/4 as well as I used to be able to. But I still drool over new guitars all of the time. Very Happy Would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need another one though. I have 4 now (had them all before I met my wife in 1987) and I think that's the limit. Rolling Eyes

I didn't start plying until I was 30 years old, a good excuse for a while but it has now been 30 more years. I can still make some noise and I love a good tube amp My Buggy build shares a shop with a few other projects. These two are on the hook now.

What do you like in a guitar, shop music, etc.

Anyone want to join in. Feel free.

Last edited by Merk on Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello: Here are a few pictures of the latest chassis work. Stay tuned there is a tunnel tune up coming next.

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hi Guys:
More work on the Chassis. I started removing rust and pretty soon a full tunnel excavation had taken place. Ever wonder whats in there? Here you go.

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

A little frame head work. I want to use a hydraulic adjustable beam. If anyone has any info on how to do this let me know. I have been brain storming and have considered a snow plow pump or an outboard tilt pump and ram, maybe a
portapower. Anyone know of a good source for hydraulic parts?

Thanks
Merk

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

I have been testing designs for new pipe replacing the frame head. I want whatever I design fit in with a desire to raise the suspension with hydraulics.
I'm still looking to you guys to tell me were to find parts to do this. I'm a serious car builder and can fab what is needed. Right now I'm studying how I want to cut the beam and how far it needs to roll and how much leverage will be needed. Tips anyone? OK as mentioned earlier i have been considering an outboard motor tilt pump and rams. Here what i have its a self contained power in and out ram pump assembly. I think this could work. Picture of the complete assembly laying on the front beam so you can check the size.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello Everyone: Thanks for the interest. Here is a look at a possible tunnel repair. This 1X2 tubing. It will all be in smooth straight floor line front to back. I have't welded it in yet because I still might remove the complete tunnel. I may put the hydraulic ram in the tunnel and run the suspension with bell cranks and push rods.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: