Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts Pile Buggy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello: Next step is to get some good measurements.
The shop floor is smooth and flat' here what I found.
Transmission is tilted up about 4 degrees.
Front beam at mounting brackets is 90 degrees and the beam it's self is tilted back about 2 degrees.
This is with the frame rails level.

Any comments on these dimensions?

Anyone ever measure this stuff?

The stock dimensions have been lost during the build.
I'm interested in the trans/bellhousing mounting surface angle. Is the motor level or kick up in the stock beetle.

Something bent somewhere in front because there is 4 degrees negative camber in the left front wheel and 4 degrees positive in the right front. Very Happy

Merk
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Good to see you back in here, @Merk. Been wondering how your build's going.

Merk wrote:
... the beam it's self is tilted back about 2 degrees.
This is with the frame rails level ...

That sounds about right IF the frame rails end up being level after you choose wheel rims and tires. My buggy has front wheels way smaller than rears, making front beam torsion tubes almost perfectly straight up one a-top of the other. Steering wheel does sort of need a tiny little bit of help coming back all the way to straight ahead forward after making a turn. I have some caster shims, which are said to add about 2° caster, but I'm happy the way she steers now and there's an awful lot of rust in her bulk head.

Merk wrote:
... there is 4 degrees negative camber in the left front wheel and 4 degrees positive in the right front ...

That could be due to ball joint adjustments being needed, right?

Off topic - I just gotta say that your double neck'd guitar reminds me of some faves:

Joe Walsh
http://test-nodep.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/style...k=lj27bK8D

Deke Dickerson
http://www.randomlengthsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/DekeDickerson.jpg

Cheap Trick
https://img.wennermedia.com/article-leads-horizontal/rs-2454-rectangle.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

I laid the beam on my street buggy back 7 degrees for better caster. Something I would recommend if you are using the beam to lower the car. On my race car there is 15* of caster built into the car. You should have just lopped off the rear torsion housing and started from fresh with the tubing and if you wanted one, rolled your own tunnel would have been much faster than doing piece meal around a rust pan. Nice work though.

brad
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Why would you want hydrolics on the buggy?

Airride is so much easier and lots of people have been there before. hydrolics not so much I think.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Off topic - I just gotta say that your double neck'd guitar reminds me of some faves:

Joe Walsh

Deke Dickerson

Cheap Trick
Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Good to see you back in here, @Merk. Been wondering how your build's going.

Merk wrote:
... the beam it's self is tilted back about 2 degrees.
This is with the frame rails level ...

That sounds about right IF the frame rails end up being level after you choose wheel rims and tires. My buggy has front wheels way smaller than rears, making front beam torsion tubes almost perfectly straight up one a-top of the other. Steering wheel does sort of need a tiny little bit of help coming back all the way to straight ahead forward after making a turn. I have some caster shims, which are said to add about 2° caster, but I'm happy the way she steers now and there's an awful lot of rust in her bulk head.

Merk wrote:
... there is 4 degrees negative camber in the left front wheel and 4 degrees positive in the right front ...

That could be due to ball joint adjustments being needed, right?

Joe Walsh

Deke Dickerson

Cheap Trick

Thanks for the the information. I will free up the rusty ball joints and get some more measurements
Guitar talk and anything else is fun. I checked out Deke Dickerson on U tube, the guy ROCKS
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I laid the beam on my street buggy back 7 degrees for better caster. Something I would recommend if you are using the beam to lower the car. On my race car there is 15* of caster built into the car. You should have just lopped off the rear torsion housing and started from fresh with the tubing and if you wanted one, rolled your own tunnel would have been much faster than doing piece meal around a rust pan. Nice work though.

brad

Thanks for the input. I have another buggy and the beam is laid back a bit. I will measure it and report back.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

rubenski wrote:
Why would you want hydrolics on the buggy?

Airride is so much easier and lots of people have been there before. hydrolics not so much I think.

I'm old and want to step in and out at ground level.

Keep an eye on the project and well see how it works out.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Ok guys cutting the torsion bars loose. I used a tailpipe cutter.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Torsion bars suffer under a lot of tension, never getting a rest. It would be nice if the rubber snubbers would take over for a while. Here are some happy torsion bars enjoying a little Relaxation.

Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Update. I have another Bug Buggy I have been driving on and off road for thirty years I rolled the beam back a little when I built it. Today I measured it and found it tilted back about 2 degrees more than the current buggy build. I do feel it in the steering. I wanted a lighter feel for this buggy. I will try to get actual caster measurements when I Get the rusty ball joints freed up.

Last edited by Merk on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

The suspension is on the stops. No snubbers, no shocks all the way down metal to metal. I,m researching front tire sizes because the fronts are on the fenders. 2 inches shorter tires and It will have the beam on the ground. There is a little more room in the rear I,m checking to see if the housing can be raised an inch.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Why did you cut out the center section of the rear torsion? Are you planning adjusters?
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

[quote="heywebonya"]Why did you cut out the center section of the rear torsion? Are you planning adjusters?[/quot

I will be welding arms onto the center section and using hydraulic rams to rotate the center raising and lowering the car both front and rear. I would like to see it laying frame. It's pretty low now I can step right over the side to get in. Wink

Thanks for the interest
Merk
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures. I will try to roll it out side this week end.

I need some tire ideas. I want to use these wheels. Stock 15 x 4.5 front and 15 x 7 rear. Some kind of low profile performance tire maybe 185 X 45 front and 235 X 50 rear?

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

165/45/15 on 4.5" sprintstars. At full drop beam was 1" front ground and still lots of room under fenders.

brad
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

165/45/15 on 4.5" sprintstars. At full drop beam was 1" front ground and still lots of room under fenders.

brad[/quote]

Hello: Thanks for the response. those 165 x 45 x 15 are perfect. I would like all 4 to have matching tread. What are you using on the rear. and what brand tires?

Sprint stars are my favorite 4 bolt wheel.

That's a Super Nice Looking buggy!

Is that the slalom racer?

Is that running height shown in the picture?

I like the two shades of paint together and the traditional black side panels.

Super Nice indeed!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

The tires on the rear were 215/65/15. They are all Federal Formosa tires.

Yes this is my autocross car. It's also the first car i raced at Bonneville Unfortunately the summer after this picture was taken we lost all venues for autocrossing so it has been retired for nearly 7 years. This winters project is to rewire the car and raise rhe suspension and swap the 27mm torsion bars for something a little

brad
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The tires on the rear were 215/65/15. They are all Federal Formosa tires.

Yes this is my autocross car. It's also the first car i raced at Bonneville Unfortunately the summer after this picture was taken we lost all venues for autocrossing so it has been retired for nearly 7 years. This winters project is to rewire the car and raise rhe suspension and swap the 27mm torsion bars for something a little

brad

Saw your Bonneville speed for the Slalom buggy. Very impressive. I also would like a little info about your top if you would. It looks like a hard top?

There is a group of us who will race anywhere. Here's a picture of one of the guys running through the cones. We also Ice Race, Run 1/4 and 1/3 mile paved oval, Drag racing, Mud racing and any field we can find.
Merk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Pile Buggy Build Reply with quote

Hello:
I had some time to study the chassis some more. I plotted the rotation of the front beam to get an idea how much travel and figure how long my operating arms need to be. I was a bit surprised how far it needs to move.
Here is a picture of some scrap tubing welded to a muffler clamp plus a few hose clamps. I can test it by hand.

I marked the beam before it was cut so that will be the full up position but when they are fully relaxed they move a full 65 degrees. They can be wound back some before the chassis rises. I need to weight it down and find the down spot so the travel is keep to just enough to drop it all the way.

Merk

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: