Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56 Reply with quote

I am not sure if I am slower than Bob but my bug has been "under construction" since 2004.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56 Reply with quote

i miss this thread
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56 Reply with quote

Great progress!! I look forward to seeing this 56 come to life!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
i miss this thread

I like how you post this now and then..a little" backhanded complimentary make me feel guilty" kind of thing Very Happy
Now.. I must say the place I'm living is in somewhat of an economic boom at the moment, so besides adjusting to my new"old" home..my services as a renovation contractor have been in high demand..and subsequently my electrician too..I've been patiently awaiting his services so I can move on to the next phase of the Wunderlab..insulation and wall finish and heat..
I will be a very unhappy camper if my entire shop is not operational by Xmas..I had some pretty good momentum before I left Newfoundland.. but uprooting one's life tends to put hobbies on hold..But the ol Turd was mothballed at a good stage to pick right up again..Goal for the spring is to have the chassis rolling,with all lines,cables (that reminds me..that bastard broken choke cable still stuck inside Evil or Very Mad )and linkage installed and then on to the 36er..
Thanks for thinking of me! I promise that this wont turn into one of those deceased threads and projects
-Matt
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Meet the "Turd" a journey of a west/east coast '56 Reply with quote

Hey all..I've finally got around to getting a crack at this project again..
So I have encountered a problem with the shock mounts..
It seems like the tapered edge on these replacements start about 3/16" so too early,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of the bolts sheared off when i removed the shocks a few years ago, so i drilled and re-tapped, but I cant find the other one..maybe it was too fargone and I chucked it
These seem correct for my year. but something doesn't add up..there should be no washers, and I am missing the lock plates which I intend to make, but that would only chew up an 1/8" of the space

From my archive of tear down

Does anyone have a stock bolt lying around that the could take a measurement of please? specifically where the taper meets the thread would be much appreciated.

Also, anyone have a trick to removing this lower bushing? simply cut off with a grinding wheel?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: