Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirocyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

1973 Standard Beetle, I'm finally getting around to installing new window seals that I got some time ago. So I cut out the seal around the rear quarter window, got it all cleaned up--and the window seals are radically the wrong size.

The box says Empi, part no 00-3599-0, CAL RUB. KIT 72-77STD, 72 SB. My Beetle is a 73 standard, so that should be right, right?

My window will lay flat in the middle of the smallest of these seals, with a couple inches all the way around it.

I'm just glad I didn't decide to do the windshield first...unless that one will fit, and the rear quarter windows don't? I feel like I must be missing something here. A technique for shrinking the rubber seal? Or are these Empi window seals just garbage? Where can I find window seals that will work?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Throw the Empi seals in the garbage and get good Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric one’s.

The seals should be a snug fit when you first install them around the glass.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

On advice from Samba I used WW seals on windows and doors. Perfect fit. If I remember right I initially ordered the cheaper door seals from them but they were sort of foam rubbery and needed glueing. I returned them and got the German seal equivalents that fit exactly into the door channels. Well worth it.
As mentioned the WCM seals are good as well, for all I know they may from the same mfg.
dirocyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Throw the Empi seals in the garbage and get good Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric one’s.

The seals should be a snug fit when you first install them around the glass.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Will do.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

x2...most of the taiwan seals are junk...even if they fit right they dry rot in a couple of years
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

I've noticed different sized quarter windows when I've rummaged through parts bins etc, I always thought the supers rear quarters (even the 71-72 models) were a different size from the standards. Too much evidence (including actually owning a pair of quarters in a parts lot I bought off a guy that were definitely larger than the ones on my 69) for me to agree with the claims on here that all rear quarters after 65 were the same size.

here's a mashup of my 72 Super vs my 69 standard, rear quarter is noticeably larger on the super:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT: VW went to a larger rear window in 72, so maybe it was only the 72 super (not the 71) that had the larger rear quarter, but I still think the vendors (and some folks on here) have it wrong.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
here's a mashup of my 72 Super vs my 69 standard, rear quarter is noticeably larger on the super:

hahahaha, what the F???

the blue one has a standard, stationary window.
the red one has an optional pop-out window, in a metal frame.
the window opening in the body is the SAME SIZE.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

I installed one of West Coast Metrics first products, near some 3 decades ago. A wing window seal for my 61 Bug. Still soft, flexible, no degrading noticed in these decades of use. They use a superior long lasting rubber.

WCM is my only supplier for rubber bits for my Bug.

Keep a Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

I am making the switch back to WCM after a decade of using WW exclusively. If a WW seal (or taillight lens, etc.) does not fit- they will still sell down their on hand inventory before fixing the problem. WCM simply fits right out of the box.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
sb001 wrote:

hahahaha, what the F???

the blue one has a standard, stationary window.
the red one has an optional pop-out window, in a metal frame.
the window opening in the body is the SAME SIZE.

pretty sure the ACTUAL WINDOWS I got in the parts lot were different size, since I put them right up next to the ones on my 69 and they were clearly larger, AND explains the discrepancy in the seals. Don't worry I'll find another set and hold them right up to my 69's windows and prove it just so you don't go running off at the MOUF anymore.

1600 SP engine
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Popcorn

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

the actual pieces of glass, compared between a stationary window and a pop-out window, are a different size.

the pop-out glass is smaller than a stationary window glass because it is in a metal frame surrounded by a rubber seal.
the stationary window glass is larger than a pop-out glass because it uses no frame.

the actual window opening size IN THE BODY is the same from 65 through the end of production, sedan, standard and super beetle.
oh wait, maybe it's not, and i need to start stocking up on the ultra-rare super beetle only quarter windows.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Rolling Eyes

the actual pieces of glass, compared between a stationary window and a pop-out window, are a different size.

the pop-out glass is smaller than a stationary window glass because it is in a metal frame surrounded by a rubber seal.
the stationary window glass is larger than a pop-out glass because it uses no frame.

the actual window opening size IN THE BODY is the same from 65 through the end of production, sedan, standard and super beetle.
oh wait, maybe it's not, and i need to start stocking up on the ultra-rare super beetle only quarter windows.

Then why are the seals a different size? Go back and look at the OP's post. He didn't say it fit loosely around his window, he said he could lay his WHOLE WINDOW inside it with a couple inches to spare. If the window OPENINGS are all one size, that makes zero sense.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

To the OP- before you toss those Empi seals in the trash, instead of seeing if they fit correctly around your window, I would be curious to know whether they fit your WINDOW OPENING.

1600 SP engine
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Same size openings...

Top is a super, bottom is my ‘67.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Last edited by jwp67 on Mon May 07, 2018 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Hazetguy- I commend you for trying.

Steve- Look up classified ads for Volkswagen beetle (not KDF, Not model 38 ) pop out qtr windows. There are only two sizes, ever. -64 and 65+. That indicates just two sizes of openings, ever.

Pop out seals and solid glass seals cannot be confused, combined or installed with each other.

The seals in question are simply wrong. Throw them in boiling water and try to shrink them a little, but they are wrong. If they have a part number on them- post it so we can find out the car for which they belong.

WW seals all have a taped tag on them that requires a blade to remove. That's how WW can pull an order so quickly. And they seldom f up.

If those Empi things have no inventory tag- how the hell was the 13 year old working on his 16th hour of shift for $2 an hour in Red China supposed to stock it correctly for the typical salivating American buyer?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Throw the Empi seals in the garbage and get good Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric one’s. ...

Yup, this...
'69 Bug
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

tbh I like the jbugs seals because they're a little larger than stock. That way you can hide the shame of having the car painted with the original window rubber in place.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody have trouble with Empi window seals? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
tbh I like the jbugs seals because they're a little larger than stock. That way you can hide the shame of having the car painted with the original window rubber in place.

I think I saw that some of their seals were WCM??
'69 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: