Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

why no windshield wipers?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

This passed weekend, I attended/registered my bug in a bug swap/show. Never been to one before, so decided to give it a go.
There were about 50-75 other VW's there. Ranging from Ghias, Beetles, Baja, rail buggies, and buses.

All different styles, none that were stock. I think every beetle I saw had a modified engine of some sort. Most all had a dual carb set up. Didn't really know what I was looking at, but they all had a good amount of power. Anyways.....As I continued to look at them all, I noticed that many of the beetles DID NOT have wipers installed. They all had the wiper shafts in place, but no wiper blades installed on them. why?

It could have been a coincidence, but I found it odd that nobody had them. If I remember right, Myself and one other one had them in place.

Any particular reason why? Why have the shafts in place if you don't use them?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Quote:
Why have the shafts in place if you don't use them?

To block the holes. Wink
I dont have wipers on my ghia. I do have a restored wiper motor and arms with nice clean shafts. Front looks cleaner w/o. That was my only reason, I dont drive it in rainy weather.
Which one looks better?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I can see both sides of it. But to me, when I see the shafts, I see "incomplete", or "something's missing". Which is why that missing part jumped out at me.

The judges asked us to place the registration page in between the wiper blade and the windshield. All the non wiper ppl had to wedge it elsewhere. I had my wipers in place in order to follow the rules Laughing
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Trailer queens?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

No, these were all driven away and on to the main roads when show was over
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Cleaner look. I keep mine on but really isn’t necessary as I don’t drive any of my ACVWs in the rain unless I get caught out in it. Hell my dunebuggy doesn’t even have homes for them.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Most show cars are made of sugar- so they don't come out in the rain.

Also, perhaps they're a "hiccup" in car styling terms. The posts are also- but I definitely prefer to see the posts used to hold a wiper too. Where else are all my parking tickets and selling offers going to go?

You know how each show/swap has that one table with that one guy who sells his specialty? My table usually has headlight assemblies- but I should offer matched pairs of refurbished wipers of all VW types. I've got enough to do a big batch. Thanks for talking me into it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Most show cars are made of sugar- so they don't come out in the rain.

Also, perhaps they're a "hiccup" in car styling terms. The posts are also- but I definitely prefer to see the posts used to hold a wiper too. Where else are all my parking tickets and selling offers going to go?

You know how each show/swap has that one table with that one guy who sells his specialty? My table usually has headlight assemblies- but I should offer matched pairs of refurbished wipers of all VW types. I've got enough to do a big batch. Thanks for talking me into it.

So even though you go to a show and have no desire to sell your beetle, you get offers anyways!?😲 Maybe one of these days I'll have the same experiences 🙃
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Most show cars are made of sugar- so they don't come out in the rain

Besides being the Southern Rust belt, Florida is also famous for “Florida Ice”. Hell people cant drive in good weather let alone when the roads are slippery as crap. I don’t like driving in my JSW with antilock brakes and airbags in the rain. Let alone a 60 year old tin can that fogs up as soon as you roll the windows up. Turn the heat on? Sure, great idea when it’s 95* out. Might as well wear a parka and grab a hot cup of coffee while I’m at it. Wink
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I don’t run wipers on my ‘66 and I daily the car. Rain-x is more than adequate to see where I going.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
hitest wrote:

Besides being the Southern Rust belt, Florida is also famous for “Florida Ice”. Hell people cant drive in good weather let alone when the roads are slippery as crap. I don’t like driving in my JSW with antilock brakes and airbags in the rain. Let alone a 60 year old tin can that fogs up as soon as you roll the windows up. Turn the heat on? Sure, great idea when it’s 95* out. Might as well wear a parka and grab a hot cup of coffee while I’m at it. Wink

A well known VW show that recently celebrated their 25th anniversary last year holds cruises as part of the show. Held the last week of August temps can be in high 90s + with humidity to match and monsoon rains sometimes. One run covers over 25 miles of mixed scenic cruising and the other is a parade which is stop and go rarely getting out of second gear. Thousands along parade route as the cars throw Mardi Gras type beads and candy to the kids. No trailer queens here, some fare better than others we sometimes sit near the end listening to the ones running hot. Some of the cars come from long distances driven in by owners from hundreds of miles away. This is life in the real world, VWs were meant to be driven not hidden away, enjoy your car to full potential. Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Why have the shafts in place if you don't use them?

To block the holes. Wink
I dont have wipers on my ghia. I do have a restored wiper motor and arms with nice clean shafts. Front looks cleaner w/o. That was my only reason, I dont drive it in rainy weather.
Which one looks better?

Wink

You mean .....which one looks better between a rusted bondo bucket with wipers......versus a painted and finished car without?

The question is who looking at the wipers at all. The rust bucket couldn't look "clean" if it never had wipers....... Wink Laughing
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
hitest wrote:

A well known VW show that recently celebrated their 25th anniversary last year holds cruises as part of the show. Held the last week of August temps can be in high 90s + with humidity to match and monsoon rains sometimes. One run covers over 25 miles of mixed scenic cruising and the other is a parade which is stop and go rarely getting out of second gear. Thousands along parade route as the cars throw Mardi Gras type beads and candy to the kids. No trailer queens here, some fare better than others we sometimes sit near the end listening to the ones running hot. Some of the cars come from long distances driven in by owners from hundreds of miles away. This is life in the real world, VWs were meant to be driven not hidden away, enjoy your car to full potential. Very Happy

Who said anything about hiding anything away? I drive my cars as often as I can, but I choose not to drive them in the rain. Much like people in the snow regions that don't drive them in the snow. Hell the previous owner stored it from October to March from my understanding to protect it from the elements. I'd like the car to be around for future generations. I don't want it to rust away, I don't want to be around already distracted drivers who cant drive when its dry driving around me when its extremely slippery with other distractions. Its not about being a trailer queen or anything else, its about choosing your battles and being smart. I live in a fairly heavy traffic suburban area with often distracted drivers. I already lost one car to some asshole pulling out in front of me back in the 80's, I'd like to avoid that. I drive my cars typically when traffic is lighter (during the day, weekends, very early morning) and when the weather is nice. I don't drive particularly long distances for a couple of reasons (seats are horrible for my back, no AC)I don't see the constant issue some people have with this?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
hitest wrote:

Who said anything about hiding anything away? I drive my cars as often as I can, but I choose not to drive them in the rain. Much like people in the snow regions that don't drive them in the snow. Hell the previous owner stored it from October to March from my understanding to protect it from the elements. I'd like the car to be around for future generations. I don't want it to rust away, I don't want to be around already distracted drivers who cant drive when its dry driving around me when its extremely slippery with other distractions. Its not about being a trailer queen or anything else, its about choosing your battles and being smart. I live in a fairly heavy traffic suburban area with often distracted drivers. I already lost one car to some asshole pulling out in front of me back in the 80's, I'd like to avoid that. I drive my cars typically when traffic is lighter (during the day, weekends, very early morning) and when the weather is nice. I don't drive particularly long distances for a couple of reasons (seats are horrible for my back, no AC)I don't see the constant issue some people have with this?

Ok it’s pretty safe to say you are a fair weather type of guy and that’s your business. There is no right answer here and I can agree with the hurting back aspect of it. 😀
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

The VW engineers were the most brilliant people on Earth, and they wanted their car to have Windshield Wipers. Why do some folks always feel like they have to second-guess the engineers and "improve" upon this masterpiece?
Have you noticed that there is no rear windscreen wiper? --------I'll bet the engineers knew that a rear wiper would cause turbulence and cause cooling air starvation. The engineers never, ever did anything without a reason.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I drive my cars as often as I can

And it is almost time for Barry's annual 1000 mile road trip, should I book a flight? Laughing
I use the wipers and Rainx except for last years trip which the rain turned into 4 foot of snow Shocked Then it was parked for 4 days.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I have wipers, and use them. But quite honestly the 5" long blades moving at snail pace don't seem to be very practical in Florida downpours. So I can understand why some don't bother. RainX is more effective. Aside from practicality or lack thereof, it's an aesthetic personal preference. I never really noticed it as a trend...but gee, now I'll be looking at that. Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

I love rain X too and use it on the entire fleet. Didja know rain X type product came to use via military and commercial aircraft? Boeing had a version known as Rainboe from the 1960s. I cannot recall when this type product became available to the general public. 😀 getting back to original question maybe it’s two fold. Fair weather and smooth appearance combined with general inabilities to rebuild wiper system and maybe even a touch of laziness. I’ll cop to the last one, shoot that’s four fold reasoning. Ok I’m a fair weather, lazy guy that uses rainX and I’m proud of that.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
The VW engineers were the most brilliant people on Earth, and they wanted their car to have Windshield Wipers. Why do some folks always feel like they have to second-guess the engineers and "improve" upon this masterpiece?
Have you noticed that there is no rear windscreen wiper? --------I'll bet the engineers knew that a rear wiper would cause turbulence and cause cooling air starvation. The engineers never, ever did anything without a reason.

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to keep them from rusting out due to moisture invasion.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: why no windshield wipers? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
I drive my cars as often as I can

And it is almost time for Barry's annual 1000 mile road trip, should I book a flight? Laughing
I use the wipers and Rainx except for last years trip which the rain turned into 4 foot of snow Shocked Then it was parked for 4 days.

Yeah that won't be happening this year at least. We are driving over to the coast this Saturday for a Cinco De Mayo show in Cocoa Beach though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: