Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Am I getting a good deal
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doughboy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

I am trading my Can Am Commander for a Dune Buggy. My commander is valued at 8,000 and I want to make sure I am getting a good or should I ask for cash to boot.

What I know is this dune buggy has a 1600 single port motor and swing axle transaxle with disk brakes on the rear only. I was told the front end is a kingpin set up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

a question better asked here: Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica

We are the dent, scratch and scrape rowdies over here

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

4500, 5k. Unless it is a real manx.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

cbeck pretty well nail it.... Value roughly around $5000 (+/-)... Pretty nice looking buggy from pics though.... But pictures and up close and personal viewing is different about appearances...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

You can already see that there’s some tire clearance issues on the front fender.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

I agree with Chris Beck and Dale M. on value. It doesn't have a fancy paint, engine or trans, or even brakes. The disc rears are probably EMPI.

And I agree with Mal. This question is better asked in the forum section intended for this type of street buggy.

[url]Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica[/url]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Capt Gottlieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

VW Rail Buggy
VW boxer 1600 gas engine (air cooled)
1 carburetor Solex H 30 pic
Gear box (VW Kombi) 4 speeds
Differential (VW Kombi) - crown and pinion 8x35

Last edited by Capt Gottlieb on Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

In my honest opinion, there is nothing other than nostalgia that says that your buggy is worth 8k $$$$$$...you have basic stock stuff with a aftermarket fiberglass body, nothing fancy. ..about the same value as a stock 65 bug....nonetheless it is a nice looking buggy Cool

Put a nice top and a 3" body lift and you could probably get another 2k for what you're asking.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

Capt Gottlieb wrote:
VW Rail Buggy
VW boxer 1600 gas engine (air cooled)
1 carburetor Solex H 30 pic
Differential (VW Kombi) - crown and pinion 8x33

Sao Paolo, Brasil supongo? Hablo bastante de Espanol, y conozco un poco de Portugese. Pasa trenta anos, tene un jefe desde Brasil.

The car looks well built overall and well maintained. It would not pass Safety and Technical Inspection for the Baja 1000. But it's not bad. Does it pass road inspection in Brasil?

What does it mean "cambagem traseira = zero"? I get "traseira" means "in back" or "rear". Rear change? It doesn't make sense in English. Rear shift or rear transmission?

The rear suspension is swingaxle. It says:
Differential (VW Kombi) - crown and pinion 8x33

"Kombi" to an American would be "Bus" or "Type 2". But Type 2 or Kombi swingaxle should have reduction gear boxes on the axles also called "Portal Axles" in some countries. This does not have those. It has Type 1 Bug swingaxles.

The differential is 4.12:1, which is also Type 1 Bug swingaxle, not Kombi. Unless VW has sold Kombis in Brasil with Bug swingaxle transaxles.

Did you intend to post this about the little red buggy in the
"Sticky: Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail" forum?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Capt Gottlieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

Hi, Richard!
I live in Amparo, a town near 145 Km from São Paulo City and 70 Km from Campinas. I'm 71 and retired.
I have this red Rail Buggy (in Brazil it's called "Gaiola" (cage or roll cage in English)) and a VW BAJA, both assembled with VW boxer engine (air cooled) 1600 cc.
"Cambagem" means "rear camber degree".
I have just posted these news pics with some text in English (please apologyse my distraction).
My father was italian and my mom portoghese. I read and talk spanish (fair), but write is so difficult to me. So, let's talking in English.
My Buggy and my BAJA are my hobbies.
Best regards,

AMADEU ([email protected])

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

Hi!

"I live in Amparo, a town near 145 Km from São Paulo City and 70 Km from Campinas. I'm 71 and retired.
I have this red Rail Buggy (in Brazil it's called "Gaiola" (cage or roll cage in English)) and a VW BAJA, both assembled with VW boxer engine (air cooled) 1600 cc.
"Cambagem" means "rear camber degree".
I have just posted these news pics with some text in English (please apologyse my distraction).
My father was italian and my mom portoghese. I read and talk spanish (fair), but write is so difficult to me. So, let's talking in English.
My Buggy and my BAJA are my hobbies. "

I'm retired too. I used to talk to my boss in Spanish while he spoke to me in Portuguesa. I also had a customer many years ago who was an elderly man who had just moved to the US from Italy to live with his daughter's family. He did not speak English. I spoke to him in Spanish, and he spoke to me in Italian. In both cases, we missed some words, but mostly understood what the other was saying.

Your cars look like fun.

"Gaiola" means "cage". Yes. I understand that. An old word for jail in the US is "gaol". Same thing.

"Cambagem" - I suspected "camber', but Google Translate did not think so. I suppose you are saying that at ride height (the way the car sits when parked), the rear camber is at zero. So the suspension is adjusted for that ride, like a stock VW would be from the factory.
SoCalBajas Member
Capt Gottlieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

Hi, Richard
Here in South Hemisphere is beginning the cold time. Snow is possible only in a few places in South Brazil, like some summits of mountains. In fact brazilian people don't know snow, except by TV and movies. But in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Chile is different. Andes Mountains are very high (until 6.000 meters) with a lot of ice and snow. For us the winter is coming and for you the summer is coming. Weather seesaw... Smile Smile Smile

Camber is a angle measure of the inclination of the rear wheel, for outside or for inside, or ZERO (normal), as my Buggy and my BAJA. Really you understood "cambagem" very well.
The rear suspension of my Buggy is adjusted for about camber zero degree and the ride height is 17 cm (bottom of engine (carter plug) to ground). My Hilux is 25 cm. My BAJA is 16 cm. But I only do light off-road and these ride heights have worked very well, until now.

Many off-road riders want to change the ride height of their Buggies (Gaiolas) to cope bad dirt-roads, difficult trials, mud, etc. I don't do that anymore. At 71 is time to be a bit wise and wary. But if one adjusts the torsion bars and the spring plates more high the effect is a exagerated positive rear camber. In this case is important change the swing axles and use a IRS suspension. Really if one uses IRS suspension is possible lift the car (ride height 30 to 40 cm) and keep camber near zero. In Brazil VW Beetle was always made using swing axles, but Kombi has used IRS since 1978.

Volkswagen has began to make VW Beetle and Kombi in Brazil since 1960. Of course VW plants around the world make the same models with great similarity, but not exactly equal. There are little differences.

The frame (chassis) was shortened 25 cm (VW Beetle sedan is 2,40 meters). But with 2,15 meters of wheelbase my Buggy works very well. Of course the vehicle could be a little bit instable after 60 miles/hour, but it became extremely manoeuveble. Besides with a differential ring and pinion 8x35 is so difficult to reach 55 miles/hour (even using VW 1600 gas engine). The relation 8x35 make my Buggy less fast but stronger.

Mu Buggy have a Selective Hand Brake.
Middle lever stops both back wheels.
Left lever stops or reduces only the left back wheel.
Right lever stops or reduces only the right back wheel.
So this gadget tries to mimic a differential blocked with some success.
Really a good aid if you are stuck in the mud. Useful and cheap.

I must classified my Buggy as a Mud Rail Buggy 'cause it is able to ride in dirt-roads, some light trails, mud and streets. For dunes and sand I would have to change somethings, mainly the back tires. And the distance Amparo to seashore is for about 200 miles. Laughing Laughing

OMG! I've wrote a lot!

Bye

Terryrayw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Am I getting a good deal Reply with quote

What are you using it for
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: